Crazy Motorist!

Thread: Crazy Motorist!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Crazy Motorist!

So I just walked across the street to get a cup of coffee. As I was approaching the crosswalk which is in the middle of a street for students to cross between "malls" of class buildings (two lanes of traffic in the same direction) a girl starts out in the street and the car (actually a big truck) in the near lane stops. She is about to enter the far lane and catches the approaching car by surprise and it stops quickly (didn't lock brakes or anything) but an instant later brakes squeal and blam! The car that stopped quickly gets rear-ended.

Out of the car that did the rear-ending comes this seemingly normal college student-looking young girl, clearly in a huff. She lays into the driver she hit, "what the f*** are doing? Use your f**king mirrors! Why'd you stop? Didn't you see me behind you?" The 30-something hippy-looking guy calmly says there was a person in the cross-walk he didn't see until the last minute. And the response... "You should have hit the f**king b**ch, why was she in the street anyway!" This despite the fact that on both sides of the street are big yellow signs saying "Yield to Pedestrians".

The poor pedestrian, who has moved to the sidewalk on the far side and is just standing there with her hand over her mouth watching this exchange, looking like she is about to cry just turns and walks away. The hippy guy never got upset or anything and more or less just ignored the irrate girl, who got on her cell phone to call the cops. I think fully believing that the person she hit was at fault. When I came back by they were both sitting in their cars still waiting for the cops to show up.

I don't exist

The lesson is...

...if it's in front of you, you are responsible for it(not hitting it).

Yea, yea there are some (few) exceptions, but basic rule is...
    Rocket Sturgeon
    -2B1 Ask 1-
    Fast Stinky Fish
    in KY jelly

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL9000
    ...if it's in front of you, you are responsible for it(not hitting it).

Yea, yea there are some (few) exceptions, but basic rule is...
    Yeah, I'm sure the young hottie found that out when the cops arrived.

I don't exist

Snicker snicker...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwaynebarry
    Yeah, I'm sure the young hottie found that out when the cops arrived.
    Rocket Sturgeon
    -2B1 Ask 1-
    Fast Stinky Fish
    in KY jelly

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Imagine that? Someone in the US actually stopping for someone in the crosswalk! No wonder it caused a wreck- it is almost as bad a stopping for a yellow light ;)

Seriously, they should almost outlaw crosswalks in the US, since they never seem to even slow motorists, much less stop- resulting in an even more dangerous situation. Meanwhile, in much of europe, traffic effortless halts for a moment to let people cross...

Jan 2002
    I often wonder if some subconcious defense mechanism kicks in that motivates people to be inappropriately aggressive in situations where they are clearly at fault and thus invite the absolution of justice or retribution.

Think about it: the at fault driver's behavior made it all the more clear that she was way out of line and in need of police intervention. Coincidence? Or the machinations of a guilty conscience anxious to repent?

Arrogant roadie.....
    I hope the guy in the car started complaining of neck pain when the cop showed up.....
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Nov 2001

Stop!...Or Else!!

I spent 12 years working in Lexington, MA.
    Along with being a nice town, it is a big tourist attraction. God help you if you failed to stop for a pedestrian!. The local police did an awesome job of enforcing good road rules throughout the town. Probably to keep the hordes of camera wielding tourists from being run flat by Massachusetts drivers (incredibly bad).
    sadly, this is an anomaly in MA., the rest of the state is similar to the story described at the beginning of this post.
    'the place was really jumpin to the high-watt amps, 'till a 20 inch cymbal fell and cut the lamps...

Jun 1999

yup

Quote Originally Posted by czardonic
    I often wonder if some subconcious defense mechanism kicks in that motivates people to be inappropriately aggressive in situations where they are clearly at fault and thus invite the absolution of justice or retribution.

Think about it: the at fault driver's behavior made it all the more clear that she was way out of line and in need of police intervention. Coincidence? Or the machinations of a guilty conscience anxious to repent?

Maybe she's just a b*****? You know the type, tears into anyone anytime something happens she doesn't like? We might be seeing her on a future episode of COPS. You know the type, she gets pulled over for speeding and lays into the cop for not having anything better to do (my ex did this once -- not good).

Arrogant roadie.....
    I'll bet she drinks white zinnfandel. You know the type.....
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    I'll bet she drinks white zinnfandel. You know the type.....
    White Zinfandel? Isn't that just a nice name for something just a step above Boones Farm?
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche