"Dark matter may be an illusion caused by the quantum vacuum"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    waterproof*

Exclamation "Dark matter may be an illusion caused by the quantum vacuum"

...makes perfect sense to me....

"When polarized, virtual gravitational dipoles in the quantum vacuum can produce a stronger-than-predicted gravitational field. (An electric dipole is shown. Currently, mainstream physics assumes there is only a positive gravitational charge.)"

Image credit: Wikimedia Commons

Read more at: Dark matter may be an illusion caused by the quantum vacuum
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    if there's no dark matter, what is fueling the expansion of the universe? not only expanding, but speeding up. if there is no dark matter, or if dm is only an illusion, there's a lot of explaining to do to make up for the loss of sheer mass which is propelling the universe outward..

no other way to account for expanding universe, sorry

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post

"When polarized, virtual gravitational dipoles in the quantum vacuum can produce a stronger-than-predicted gravitational field. (An electric dipole is shown. Currently, mainstream physics assumes there is only a positive gravitational charge.)"

More commonly referred to as the current US Congress.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by easyridernyc View Post
    if there's no dark matter, what is fueling the expansion of the universe? not only expanding, but speeding up. if there is no dark matter, or if dm is only an illusion, there's a lot of explaining to do to make up for the loss of sheer mass which is propelling the universe outward..

dark energy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    o wait...

“We can consider our universe as a union of two mutually interacting entities,” Hajdukovic said. “The first entity is our ‘normal’ matter (hence we do not assume the existence of dark matter and dark energy), immersed in the second entity, the quantum vacuum, considered as a sea of different kinds of virtual dipoles, including gravitational dipoles.”

He goes on to explain that the virtual gravitational dipoles in the quantum vacuum can be gravitationally polarized by the baryonic matter in nearby massive stars and galaxies. When the virtual dipoles align, they produce an additional gravitational field that can combine with the gravitational field produced by stars and galaxies. As such, the gravitationally polarized quantum vacuum could produce the same “speeding up” effect on the rotational curves of galaxies as either hypothetical dark matter or a modified law of gravity.

waterproof*

Also: 8 legged spider controls the universe... but We The Anointed Ones already knew that.

Call me a Fred
    Without dark matter, how do you explain Darth Vader's powers?
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

done
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post
    darth energy

All I wanted was a Pepsi!

God. Duh.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    darth energy
    Now THIS is why "rep" was invented! Sadly, I must pass it around.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

Steaming piles of opinion
    Dark matter may be an illusion caused by the quantum vacuum
    Of course it is.

The better question is: What is the cause of the illusion known as the quantum vacuum?
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    The better question is: What is the cause of the illusion known as the quantum vacuum?
    It's turtles. All the way down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robwh9 View Post
    dark energy
    mass and energy are equivalent, i.e. energy is a function of mass accelerated

dark energy is dark matter

done
    Aug 2009
    dark energy is dark matter
    Dark energy and dark matter are two separate, if not confusingly named, terms for two separate phenomena. DM referring to whatever it is that is causing galaxies to spin faster than predicted (and whatever it is that is keeping them from spinning themselves apart). DE referring to whatever it is that is causing the universe to expand at an accelerating rate. They might end up being linked together when they're understood better, but not necessarily. As it stands right now, one produces an attractive force and one produces a repulsive force. They're "dark" because they don't reflect/produce measurable light and because it's a double entendre for "we don't know WTF it is yet".

At least that's my layman's understanding of it.
    Last edited by Love Commander; 11-29-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Failboat Captian
    I like beer
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

Proud luddite
    Does quantum make good vacuums? We're not please with our Dust Devil upright vaccum, and are hoping that Target might sell a better model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    Dark energy and dark matter are two separate, if not confusingly named, terms for two separate phenomena. DM referring to whatever it is that is causing galaxies to spin faster than predicted (and whatever it is that is keeping them from spinning themselves apart). DE referring to whatever it is that is causing the universe to expand at an accelerating rate. They might end up being linked together when they're understood better, but not necessarily. As it stands right now, one produces an attractive force and one produces a repulsive force. They're "dark" because they don't reflect/produce measurable light and because it's a double entendre for "we don't know WTF it is yet".

e = mc (squared). the special theory of relativity, perhaps the most basic of all the fundamental laws of physics. which, if the theoretical inequivalence of dark energy and matter, as well as their respective gravititational properties are correct, may otherwise have some serious problems...

in the traditional model, there is no difference between energy and mass, they are essentially equivalent in the physical universe. the challenge of course is in detecting the mass and energy we know have to be there by virtue of their gravitational effects, i.e. physical properties on both the scale of the rotating galaxies, as well as the broader terms of the expanding universe. einstein himself, when he tried to unify subatomic and large scale gravitational theory into a single unified explanation of the universe, suspected there might be a major problem. he didnt yet have the hubble observation of supernovae that confirmed how quickly syht was moving. he thought the universe was largely static, and consequently proposed the cosmological constant, an undefined force that keeps the the universe from either contracting or expanding, basically an elusive somethin that kept us all in balance. once einstein realized that the universe was in fact expanding, of course, he cursed the idea of a constant as the biggest mistake he ever made in his life.

but as it turns out, he may have been right after all. dark "energy" may in fact be the constant...

is super good looking.

Seat's not level
    Dark Matter + vacuum = Airplane Toilet....

What was the question?
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Does quantum make good vacuums? We're not please with our Dust Devil upright vaccum, and are hoping that Target might sell a better model.
    The problem with quantum vacuums is, you can never be sure if the carpet is actually clean or not.

Hai.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post
    Mass*acceleration, duh.
    Man up, dumb down, and do one gear.

/AYHSMB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

wtf is a quantum vacuum?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I think my brain just melted while trying to read that

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

einstein had a big brain

Quote Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
    I think my brain just melted while trying to read that
    imagine not having a computer. working with a pencil and a piece of paper...

anyway, i think the big idea is that in quantum physics, while what you can observe is limited, there are virtually unlimited physical consequences to subatomic activity. its not always about what can definitely happen and definitely understanding a specific result, but about what can happen and what might result. some funky syht can consequently happen in quantum physics, including gravitational action at a distance, apparently spontaneous generation of matter, stuff happening on one side of the universe actually affecting, or relating to what happens on the other, etc. that is to say, in quantum physics, syht can actually appear out of nowhere, there are experiments that have proven not simply that these kinds of things are possible, but that they are probably happening everywhere. everywhere and all the time....

so the universe is expanding, i mean, really really haulling a55out there on the edge of time and space, this we know because of our observations of the gravitational redshifts hubble gave us in watching exploding supernovae. those dying stars were supposed to be standing still or moving slow. but they are not standing still or moving slow. they are hauling A55 away from us so fast that they are inconvertibertible proof that something else has to be out fueling the universe's expansion. for the universe to be booking at the speed of light, you need fuel, energy, and mass to make it go. and there's just not enough stuff available in traditonal physics to explain, again, what we know is happening out there on the edge of time and space. the math just doesnt work, the mass if just not there. so we know we need more mass, more stuff to make the math make sense. we now know that the mass is actually dark matter and dark energy. we cant see it, but because of the way the galaxies move and the universe expands, we know it has to be there, because of the way we observe it indirectly. but in trying to understand it, or how it differs from our traditional understanding of mass and energy, we ask ourselves, what is the dark stuff made of, or perhaps more important, where does it come from?

the quantum vacuum is a region of space where basically, anything can happen, including the apparently spontaneous generation of matter. where actual matter and anitmatter exist and coexist, for example, they almost immediately annihilate each other out in the middle of nowhere, while creating an actual gravitational field. within this field, virtual particles and anitparticles can conceivably pair to form the unit, the "dipole" that generates the repulsion and energetic force of the magnitude required to fuel a universal expansion. something, therefore, would appear to coming from nothing. as effed up as it sounds, we know something from nothing is very much possible. why? because quantum mechanics tell us so....

Sweet Potato Kugel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast