Data freaks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Data freaks

Frog Whisperer

Data freaks

Those of you who know anything about me know that I am kinds of a gps/data freak. I have been riding with gps since the end of 2005. I have been a dedicated SportTracks user since then. A few months ago, SportTracks informed its software users that we are reaching its "end of life"

I decided that I could not risk losing all my data so I carefully exported them ALL to .gpx files and have 1271 gpx files from 2006, start of the season until present, and 3 .xls files with all rides including trainer from 2001 to 2006.

New stuff is all being automatically uploaded to Garmin Connect but I archive them all myself as well.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I what to see your work. That's a lot of data.
    Last edited by Eretz; 06-11-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I what to see your work. That's a lot of data.
    Have it your way!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    A good friend of mine started riding in the early 1980s when I did, and we started riding together in the late 80s. He has and continues to record every ride with pen and paper in notebooks. He's probably averaged 5k miles per year since he started riding.

He's not a luddite, he rides di2 and has other nice toys.

What the what???
    As hoarding goes, could be a lot worse.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    A good friend of mine started riding in the early 1980s when I did, and we started riding together in the late 80s. He has and continues to record every ride with pen and paper in notebooks. He's probably averaged 5k miles per year since he started riding.

He's not a luddite, he rides di2 and has other nice toys.
    This might, or might not be easier. I like the fact that this provides me with maps, and minute details about the ride. I have a lot of difficulty locating papers and pencils that I JUST had in my hand, if you know what I mean.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    https://tapiriik.com/ is a free app that can link multiple tracking apps and sync all your data.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I started recording my ride data in Excel in 1993. To date, I've recorded 4,457 rides totaling 184,621 miles, which is about 77% of my lifetime goal. I have various tables and graphs that summarize the data. I also enter various notes about about the ride, e.g. who I rode with, where we went, what if anything significant happened, etc. I also use the spreadsheet to keep track of what maintenance and repairs have been done on my various bikes.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    https://tapiriik.com/ is a free app that can link multiple tracking apps and sync all your data.
    I see it also works with SportTracks, which would be great EXCEPT only with the Mobi app. The stand-alone SportTracks software lives on my computer and was a one time purchase (well not really, it was freeware, then donate-ware then buy it...) so I actually paid twice but I like the fact that it is on my physical machine and I am responsible for backing up. I am what you might call "anal" about redundancy, I have all my important information of ANY kind in at least 3 places. As much as I love SportTracks, I cannot rationalize paying a $59 fee per year. ST3 works offline and it MAY continue working forever but they could not assure me due to the fact that there are several features (weather, maps, etc) that get date from the web.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    I started recording my ride data in Excel in 1993. To date, I've recorded 4,457 rides totaling 184,621 miles, which is about 77% of my lifetime goal. I have various tables and graphs that summarize the data. I also enter various notes about about the ride, e.g. who I rode with, where we went, what if anything significant happened, etc. I also use the spreadsheet to keep track of what maintenance and repairs have been done on my various bikes.
    I don't think I had ever heard of excel in 1993, maybe LotusWorks...lol. Maintenance is also logged.

since 2002, I am showing a total of 49,512 miles. Pre 2002 is gone forever!

Master debator.
    I'd love to see all of my ride data from about 1984 and on. Even when decent bike computers came out pre-GPS I never really wrote anything down. It's hard to brag about the rides you did as a kid when you can't prove it.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I've been doing the same thing for years. Most of my rides are commuting to work, but riding in DC, you see stuff, like a pink, sweaty Bill Clinton right behind at an intersection one morning, out jogging with three huge Secret Service guys. It's fun to go back and look at the noted over the years when I bored.

I also have the jersey number for a century I do every year for the past 26 years. I started writing notes on the back of those things 15 years ago.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    It's hard to brag about the rides you did as a kid when you can't prove it.
    It's easy when you can't prove it.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    So, how do you all use this data? What have you learned by looking at data from multiple years? For example, drop offs after ramping up miles in multiple years might give you an idea of what level of riding increase causes overtraining effects.

Not yearly data (for training for a goal like a century or a particular race), not aggregate data for maintenance and repairs which could be done with an odometer, but multiple year data at the individual ride level of measurement. I am curious if people do anything with such detailed time series data.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I don't think I had ever heard of excel in 1993, maybe LotusWorks...lol.!
    Yeah, I started with Lotus 123. Actually VisiCalc before that - I'm an old nerd. Don't remember when I made the switch to Excel. But Wikipedia says Excel for Windows (ver. 2) came out in 1987.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    So, how do you all use this data? What have you learned by looking at data from multiple years? For example, drop offs after ramping up miles in multiple years might give you an idea of what level of riding increase causes overtraining effects.

Not yearly data (for training for a goal like a century or a particular race), not aggregate data for maintenance and repairs which could be done with an odometer, but multiple year data at the individual ride level of measurement. I am curious if people do anything with such detailed time series data.
    I look at the data graphically. For example, this chart shows my cumulative miles each year, so I can see how I compare to prior years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Here's another chart that shows how many rides I've done of varying distance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Here's a chart that shows the breakdown on my miles each year by day of the week. You can see that from 2004 to 2008, I did most of my riding on the weekends - that's because I had a job that involved long hours and didn't give me much time to ride during the week. But the money was good, so I banked as much as I could and retired in 2008.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Here's another chart that I made for a few years where I kept track of vertical feet climbed each ride, and compared the data for each year with some linear regression analysis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Want more? Here's a chart of miles broken out by month for each year.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post

Funny story, my wife was totally insistent that on a certain day, the weather was a certain way, my SportTracks has weather for that day recorded.

So I was able to prove myself right!

Also, I do look back and see where I was riding, elevation and effort.

Frog Whisperer
    And these graphs are the reason I will miss SportTracks I can change data fields easily
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (98.9 KB, 64 views)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Want more? Here's a chart of miles broken out by month for each year.
    I thought your miles by day graph was trippy was but this one.... wow man.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I thought your miles by day graph was trippy was but this one.... wow man.
    Total quaalude ^^^ He data pointed a great deal of info. Really amazing.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Sweet Potato Kugel

Most of my rides were/are commuting. So olde sheit, but different day. I recorded weather and temperature to0 in logs, as well as the hours worked that day which impacted performance. The days I left later, and more tired gathered drafting of city buses and local traffic bringing up average speeds. The city stop lights synchronize at peak hours too. If I left at 14:30 my trips were slower through populated areas due to schools and schooling traffic. If I left at 17h00, loads of green lights on major suburban ways to keep congestion down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast