David Lee Roth reunited with Van Halen?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

David Lee Roth reunited with Van Halen?

A deal is almost set for David Lee Roth to return to the Van Halen fold for a summer tour of amphitheaters, sources told Billboard.com

They said a contract could be signed as early as Wednesday for tour promoter Live Nation to produce a 40-date trek, which would mark Roth's first outing with the rock band in more than 20 years.

Spokeswomen for Roth and the band said they were unable to provide any confirmation.

Guitarist Eddie Van Halen's 15-year-old son Wolfgang has stepped in for original bassist Michael Anthony in the new incarnation of the group, which also features Eddie's brother Alex Van Halen on drums.

Van Halen last toured in 2004 with vocalist Sammy Hagar, Roth's replacement, grossing nearly $40 million, according to Billboard Boxscore. Hagar refused to collaborate further with the Van Halen brothers after the tour's completion, although he has consistently played live with Anthony in recent years. The warring factions may wind up meeting in public in March when Van Halen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
    Tomorrows battle is won during today's practice. - Samurai maxim

In the course of achieving anything, nothing is more important than persistence.

Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret!.

Feb 2004

If Roth...

...is back, then Van Halen is Van Halen again. Hagar is was good but the band lost something without Roth.I'll miss Anthony, but Wolfie being in the band would be cool.
    Charismatic Icon Animal Man

the fist
    I care much about this. Just so I can see PANAMA live.
    ...dream come true.
    Last edited by JohnHenry; 08-27-2008 at 11:19 AM.
    FlexiSexual

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I was a huge VH fan back in the day, but never went to a show and regretted it.

Without Michael Anthony's upper-register backing vocals, I don't know. Mike's voice was the key to a lot of VH's harmonies. I don't know if Wolfgang can hang with performing night after night like that. Plus Eddie is pretty burnt out.

Plus I guarantee tickets will start at $100+. I haven't gone to many concerts lately due to the steep ticket prices, just not worth it IMHO.

I guess we will have to see how they do at their Rock 'n' Roll Hall of fame performance...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I saw both...Van Halen and Van Hagar. Both were good for their respective times.

I do remember hearing about Michael Anthony jumping ship, and agree that he is a vital (if subtle) part of the band. That one surprised me. Did the reported EVH control-freak persona finally get to him or is he just content to just be retired? Either way, I'd pay to see Diamond Dave onstage with the brothers again.

Pixie Sticks and Politics
    That would be cool, but what about David's budding bluegrass career? What will happen to his bluegrass fans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9qcggRo18
    I want to know why Hemingway cracked. Sometimes truth is stanger than fiction.

Have a nice day
    I saw Van Hagar on the 5150 tour in St. Louis in... 1986? It really was a great show. Kinda funny to think that their new bass player wasn't even born yet the last time I saw them

The new show could be good fun, or it could be awful. But with modern ticket prices... well... I'd rather just go down to the local pub and hear a local act for free. Half the time it's better music anyway.

Breakin' Stuff
    I'm not sure how I feel about this... On the surface it seems like people will pay TWICE as much as they should for tickets to see a band that is maybe HALF as good as they used to be. Not good value for money if you ask me. That said, I hope they prove me wrong... My gut tells me that they are throwing young Wolfie to the dogs though.
    When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. - Keith Richards

My Webshots

Not Banned

saw them in their hey day

a couple times including their first US Tour. Have no need to see this, it would probably just ruin all my good memories
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
    Quote Originally Posted by Muldoon54
    That would be cool, but what about David's budding bluegrass career? What will happen to his bluegrass fans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9qcggRo18
    This made my day! Humble thanks, Muldoon.

As for DLR rejoining Van Halen, I think it's great. Sammy Hagar was so damn bad for that group.
    hang out in Podium Girls - the desperation there is way funny - terry b
    I don't get either but that is irrelevant to the comedic impact and it's resulting effect on the male centric hegemony contained therein... - svendo
    when I was a n00b there were no message boards to clutter up with trolling posts. I had to do it the hard way....standing at the mall making fun of people loudly - Platy
    ...in short, antonio_b ... it's time to embrace your inner Travis Bickle - spirito

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    Have no need to see this, it would probably just ruin all my good memories

I never liked Van Hagar but I think you're dead on about this reunion.

supervillain

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    I never liked Van Hagar but I think you're dead on about this reunion.
    Saw the Hagar/Roth tour a couple of summers ago. Here is the thing...Roth's voice is shot...he was the weakest link in a twilight zonish cover band of himself. Hagar (whom I enjoy) still had his voice, and performed like a headliner. While Roth, squeeked out with what is left of his voice prancing around like a 50 somethingish cartoonish version of himself--much of the crowd was less than entertained--lets say...some uncomfortable silences after some particularly poorly done versions of VH tunes.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Alien Musician

Exclamation Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by texass4
    I saw both...Van Halen and Van Hagar. Both were good for their respective times.

I do remember hearing about Michael Anthony jumping ship, and agree that he is a vital (if subtle) part of the band. That one surprised me. Did the reported EVH control-freak persona finally get to him or is he just content to just be retired? Either way, I'd pay to see Diamond Dave onstage with the brothers again.
    The rumor was Ed canned him because he decided to remain friendly with Sammy.

Alien Musician
    Sad thing is, have you seen Ed lately? He's in terrible shape. The "interview" DVD
    that came with the latest issue of Guitar World shows a guy in terrible health, still
    insisting on smoking after cancer and his best playing days are behind him I think.

Might be worth watching the inevitable trainwreck though.

Shirtcocker
    meh...I pretty much gave up on VH when they released crap like Jump. Roth has been back with them off and on--suppose he needs the money now that his radio gig failed. They are washed up has-beens. One virtuoso guitar player does not a band make.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Jul 2004
    meh is right.

the album 1984 signaled the end of that band. there was some srsly crappy, unbelievably radio friendly music on that record. look back at the albums before it and compare those songs.
    before "1984" they were different and ahead of the curve....with 1984 and after, straight to meh-dom.

i like whiskey
    yawn

the DLR radio show was one of the worst shows in the history of radio. it was unlistenable, like virtually everything else that comes out of that guys mouth. the rest of them need to give it up too. double kick drums and 27 minute ego stroking guitar solo's are so 1986. has-beens is right.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush
    Saw the Hagar/Roth tour a couple of summers ago. Here is the thing...Roth's voice is shot...he was the weakest link in a twilight zonish cover band of himself. Hagar (whom I enjoy) still had his voice, and performed like a headliner. While Roth, squeeked out with what is left of his voice prancing around like a 50 somethingish cartoonish version of himself--much of the crowd was less than entertained--lets say...some uncomfortable silences after some particularly poorly done versions of VH tunes.

Years ago, Howard Stern was talking about DLR.... and how he was supposedly down in the dumps, doing meanial work. The quote went something like "Yeah, David Lee Roth, he went from Van Halen to van driver."

That was, of course, before DLR started hanging out with Howard.

supervillain

Not Banned

there is something desperately sad

in aging cck-rock. tmb is right, Roth's voice is gone and watching a balding old, worn out man try to revive the swagger of his youth is depressing.
    Michael Anthony was the spine of that group, and like a good spine he's the only one who didn't bend to this trainwreck in the making. ya'll are right, as soon as eddy touched a frickin keyboard it was over.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    Years ago, Howard Stern was talking about DLR.... and how he was supposedly down in the dumps, doing meanial work. The quote went something like "Yeah, David Lee Roth, he went from Van Halen to van driver."

That was, of course, before DLR started hanging out with Howard.
    DLR was working as an EMT for a while, supposedly not because he needed to but because he wanted to. That's probably what the "van driver" comment was about.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    I saw them twice--Diver Down and 1984 tours, and that's enough. Like others, I have no hankering to tarnish the memories.

In fact, and I know this is heresy--it even feels like it to me--I've been listening to VH some lately, since they're on my iPod, and I have to admit this: Dave never was that good. Yeah, he's absolutely right for the attitude of the band, but he's a crummy singer, and was a bit much on a lot of songs. I will never surrender the songs that really came off right, but honestly, Dave ruined a couple too.

I hated Van Halen with Sammy--so very weak--but he IS a much better singer.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

With the Radio On...

Outta Love Again

Too little too late.

Dave seemed at home in Vegas though. Diamond Dave and Disco Stu!
    "History Shows Again and Again How Nature Points Up the Folly of Man..."

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles

Seen DLR lately?

I saw him briefly in an ad for some interview or something and I don't think I've ever seen a more pathetic drug-addled face on TV before. I'd wait to hear reviews on any shows before I bought tix. Could be very pathetic.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc
    I saw him briefly in an ad for some interview or something and I don't think I've ever seen a more pathetic drug-addled face on TV before. I'd wait to hear reviews on any shows before I bought tix. Could be very pathetic.
    Drug-addled ain't Dave. He's all messed up, but mostly he's f*cked up on fame--and suffering serious withdrawals. Far's I know he never was into drugs because he was so into adventure sports/martial arts. Boozed it up some, but even that was exaggerated for the image, I hear.

Dude's a mess, though.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboy389
    Drug-addled ain't Dave. He's all messed up, but mostly he's f*cked up on fame--and suffering serious withdrawals. Far's I know he never was into drugs because he was so into adventure sports/martial arts. Boozed it up some, but even that was exaggerated for the image, I hear.

Dude's a mess, though.
    I think he was busted a couple of times for weed.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast