Debit card hacked, Dang.
    RoadBikeReview Member

Debit card hacked, Dang.

Not sure how this happened yet but I'm very vigilant in monitoring my accounts. Used my debit card a few times today and when I stopped at the grocery store tonight after work... declined. Drove over to my bank and have a $1.00 balance. That is cold, at least take it all jerks. Leaving a dollar is like rubbing it in. Unfortunately for me ( in this situation) I don't own a credit card so my daughter and I created a wonderful mishmash dinner of leftovers. I hate thieves.

Frog Whisperer
    And this is the reason that I don't have a debit card. Hope you get it squared away FAST!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes sir, thanks. Fortunately I have all of my funds in higher yielding accounts and transfer money monthly to take care of bills and food. Could have been a lot worse I guess. Also, being the end of the month they didn't get too much. We'll see how the bank handles this. This is making me think that maybe I should get a low limit credit card in case of emergency or come up with something else. Will definitely talk with someone who knows more about this before I do something rash. The whole leaving one buck just p#sses me off. Live and learn I guess. On a side note, been lurking in your roller thread and hats off to you!

Banned forever.....or not
    It might take up to a month to get your money back, with a debit card...
    Why not use a cash back credit card, and pay it off weekly, on line????
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    And this is the reason that I don't have a debit card. Hope you get it squared away FAST!
    Yep, that's what i was thinking.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I was under the impression that debit cards, when linked to checking accounts (and maybe savings accounts, too) aren't covered by banks for losses. Only savings accounts are insured by the FDIC.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ooops; HERE'S the answer. Perhaps it will help others.
    Last edited by Peter P.; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:24 AM.

What the what???
    They may have left the $1.00 just to be asshats, but they also might have thought if they cleared out the account completely it would probably have triggered a notification from the bank to you informing you the account had been closed out...
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    They may have left the $1.00 just to be asshats, but they also might have thought if they cleared out the account completely it would probably have triggered a notification from the bank to you informing you the account had been closed out...
    This is a likely explanation. We have had this happen before. They will also start out with very tiny charges to see if the card will work and not create a fraud alert. Phone app stores are a favorite we learned. They will use the card for a couple of $1.00 charges and let that clear, then hit it hard until the fraud alert catches up.

Seat's not level
    Never ever use a debit card except to withdraw cash from your bank. Get a credit card, pay it off monthly to avoid interest charges, or just use cash for everything.

Credit cards also get hacked, but you are protected. Our debit cards get locked away in the safe when we get them and never get used. We actually have two credit cards to avoid the hassle when one gets hacked. We use one only for automated payments of gas bills etc. Another one we use in public for restaurants, gas etc. We have had a card compromised a few times over the years. Having the different cards allows us to easily replace the 'public' card when it gets hacked. The 'monthly bill' card has never been hacked... and it's nice not to have to login to all the accounts and update with a new card when the public one gets hacked.

It was interesting talking with the credit card company when we said we wanted a separate second account. After I explained, the rep thought it was a great idea and said she was going to do that herself. :-)

Using a credit card is just adding an extra layer of protection to your money. Pay it off every month in full. If you don't have the $$ in the bank to pay off the credit card, don't buy whatever you are putting on the card. Treat the card as a debit card in your mind... just don't forget to pay the bill.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I used to use a debit card all the time. It got hacked several times ... once to the tune of $1000 and the bank always covered it. I've switched over to using a credit card that pays 1.5% cash back. Doesn't seem like much, but when you cycle through a few thousand a month, it adds up. I pay off the balance at the end of every month. I think its better than a debit card. I used to worry about the prospect of getting a huge credit card bill at them end of the month, but in reality, my spending habits haven't changed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    You can use your Debit card as a Credit card, run it and select the Credit option, or on new Chip and Pin systems, just hit enter or cancel (would be nice if they were all teh same, but Home Depot requires me to hit cancel, Lowes I just hit enter when the pin comes up).

When you charge your Debit card without the Pin, it runs as credit, and you get the protections that a credit card gives you to some extent. If you use a pin a lot, and your card gets stolen, the pin is an identifier, and banks consider that you were the one who used the card because you are supposed to guard that pin with your life (yes we know, skimmers and pinhole cameras and such exist), you fight with them, and you will more than likely win, but it takes longer. With your card being run as credit, when you report a stolen card being used, it can be as quick as 5 days (depends on your bank as well, USAA, I had my funds back within 5 days).

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I used to use a debit card all the time. It got hacked several times ... once to the tune of $1000 and the bank always covered it. I've switched over to using a credit card that pays 1.5% cash back. Doesn't seem like much, but when you cycle through a few thousand a month, it adds up. I pay off the balance at the end of every month. I think its better than a debit card. I used to worry about the prospect of getting a huge credit card bill at them end of the month, but in reality, my spending habits haven't changed.
    We do the same. put everything on the card during the month, get the points, pay it off in full. No real hassle if it gets hacked. Usually it's the CC company that notices the hack. They call us and review the recent charges. We let them know which ones are ours and they remove the rest. Usually right on the spot. We are never out any cash. We end up with a bunch of cash back. use about half to pay the CC every once in a while, or buy gift cards etc.

Last time we got hacked, I had them open up the second accoutn so we could use that for our monthly/automatic payments. Don't think we've been hacked since. If either one gets hacked, we still have an active CC to go about life as usual.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Okay, you all have to stop saying your cards got hacked.. your card was not hacked, the service that either processes the charge got hacked and compromised (although, hacking has a much larger definition, and not just nefarious, so careful with its use), or your card got skimmed. In the case of someone using your card number and pin, it means you got skimmed, as pins are not used in online transactions, rather the security code is used.

I suck with money, it is why I don't have Credit cards, I have a paypal card (not their actual credit card, more like a store card that can be used at places that take Paypal..... which these days is getting larger and larger.. gonna have to close that down heh...) and a amazon card, which I used for some purchases, but otherwise, I use cash.. because if I have more cash available.. I'll spend it and end up paying a crap ton in interest... Not neccesarily a good thing.. but a step above many others in that I realize and understand I suck with money rather than racking up CC charges and going broke

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    Fortunately I have all of my funds in higher yielding accounts and transfer money monthly to take care of bills and food.!
    Good thing you had this arrangement. I do something similar... Buy everything with a credit card, pay it off in full each month from a checking account that only has enough in it to pay the bills each month. My savings account(s) don't have any cards attached to them... that makes things a slight pain when transferring money in and out of them, but I guess that's the point ;-)

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    You might want to shop for a new bank.

I have debit cards with Bank of America and Wells Fargo. They both have protection for any fraudulent use, just like their credit cards.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lots of good information and advice, thanks Lownge! I appreciate the responses. Going to meet with my advisor and discuss options but changes are definitely required. The hacked vs. skimmed comments make sense and in my current occupation I am required to take annual training on those topics. Guess I need to take them more seriously. Normally they are an "ugh", another mandatory training. Thanks everyone.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Okay, you all have to stop saying your cards got hacked..
    No, no we don't. :-) Slang for a credit card number being stolen, hacked, skimmed is all the same to me. I'm old, and really don't care what the PC version of my credit being used by someone else to buy things I didn't buy. The spirit of the thread seems to be trying to help someone avoid the pain of being HACKED and trying to make it easier to recover from in the future.

I suck at money is the same a a fat arse saying they suck at food control and it isn't their fault. The girl thinking it's cute to say that Math is hard. Sorry folks, food, math and money are part of life. At some point you'll need to deal with them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    No, no we don't. :-) Slang for a credit card number being stolen, hacked, skimmed is all the same to me. I'm old, and really don't care what the PC version of my credit being used by someone else to buy things I didn't buy. The spirit of the thread seems to be trying to help someone avoid the pain of being HACKED and trying to make it easier to recover from in the future.

I suck at money is the same a a fat arse saying they suck at food control and it isn't their fault. The girl thinking it's cute to say that Math is hard. Sorry folks, food, math and money are part of life. At some point you'll need to deal with them.

Oic.. where did I blame anyone else for me sucking at money control.. I recognize I am not good with it, and I take appropriate steps to make sure I don't put myself in needless debt.. it's supposed to work that way, I don't blame anyone else for my lack of money skills.. which is weird.. because if you believe the stereotypes.. I should be rich and great with money... I am Jewish.. yes I can make fun of myself.

As for the hacked definition, use whatever you want, just be wrong Hacked is not slang for debit card theft, it's account information being stolen.. you cannot hack modern pin and chip credit cards... unless you use a knife or an axe, at least not in the same sense as you can hack a computer, which again, is not so much hacking (hacking is an over arching description of many things, every "maker" is technically a hacker... every person who plays with raspberry pi's and arduinos are hackers.. every person that codes is a hacker... all of these things can be both benign and malicious) It's not about being PC.. its about being correct, and just because everyone is saying it, does not make it correct.

Did you know.. if Chip and Pin cards are implemented correctly, they are almost impossible to clone or steal.. except in the US.. they ****ed it up. In theory, when you run a charge through debit (FYI, the pin for Chip and Pin cards is not the same as your bank card account pin number you use at ATMs), a sequence number is generated internally to the card and the bank, every time you run the card, and new sequence number is generated, the sequence numbers must always be in order, or else the card is immediately deactivated. This means, that a skimmer, even when recording the card pin number with a camera, only has a certain amount of time they can run a charge against the card. That window of time is between the card owners last purchase, and the card owners next purchase, because the skimmed card and sequence number will fall outside of the window at which the skimmer stole the details. Not bullet proof, but light years ahead of what we have in the US, as the proper Chip and Pin implementation has never been deployed to US retailers because they complained of the cost, so now retailers have to bear the cost when compromised bank cards are used to make purchases as the banks will reverse the charges, and the retailer will still be out there stock.

PCI compliance is a fun subject... also, the above is a gross over simplification, but I think you get the idea.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    You might want to shop for a new bank.

I have debit cards with Bank of America and Wells Fargo. They both have protection for any fraudulent use, just like their credit cards.
    Same with my BB&T debit card. It got scammed a few times over the years and I always got my money back. The only reason I went to a credit card is to get cash back. It's $50 a month or so which isn't a lot, but its not much effort either.

I keep a bank account at a local motor and brick bank, but only so I can use their safe deposit box for $5/month. Aside from that, my wife and I do most of our banking through USAA. Everything is electronic and with a two step logon process (password followed by PIN texted to your cell phone), its pretty secure.

I think the big risk is when you let your card get out of sight, like at a restaurant. Some years ago, my debit card got scammed. I noticed charges at Marshall's Department store in Landover MD. I don't live in MD, or shop at Marshalls. I called it in and asked the person on the phone, how can they do this at a retail outlet? I can understand on-line, but at a store. She said that these people actually make fake cards and use them at retail stores. You'd wonder what someone with that kind of creativity could do if it were applied to an honest endeavor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Same with my BB&T debit card. It got scammed a few times over the years and I always got my money back. The only reason I went to a credit card is to get cash back. It's $50 a month or so which isn't a lot, but its not much effort either.

I keep a bank account at a local motor and brick bank, but only so I can use their safe deposit box for $5/month. Aside from that, my wife and I do most of our banking through USAA. Everything is electronic and with a two step logon process (password followed by PIN texted to your cell phone), its pretty secure.

I think the big risk is when you let your card get out of sight, like at a restaurant. Some years ago, my debit card got scammed. I noticed charges at Marshall's Department store in Landover MD. I don't live in MD, or shop at Marshalls. I called it in and asked the person on the phone, how can they do this at a retail outlet? I can understand on-line, but at a store. She said that these people actually make fake cards and use them at retail stores. You'd wonder what someone with that kind of creativity could do if it were applied to an honest endeavor.

psst... https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...s_no_long.html

While this applies to the Federal Gov via the Certification and Accreditation program that uses NIST documents (the 800 series, specifically the 800-53 rev 4, eventually rev 5 hopefully soon), but most standards typically follow suit, ISO, it will filter down to the Cyber Security Framework, or as I like to call it, NIST 800-53 Lite...

In general, you are probably fine, and to be honest, assuming you have your phone locked and requires pin or fingerprint, or face (I hate this....) to unlock the phone, but if you enabled texts to be displayed on your lock screen without authentication, you effectively defeated that feature. Hardware, or Software tokens (software ones should be configure for additional authentication even after you unlock your phone) are still the best option.