Denizens of south, SOUTH FLA, clue me in...
    corning my own beef

Denizens of south, SOUTH FLA, clue me in...

I'll be attending a small conference in the FL keys (S of Key Largo) for a couple days at the end of March.

I assume that Hwy 1, being the only road through there, pretty much means traffic will not be particularly conducive to cycling -- ie it's a waste to take my bike -- or do I have it all wrong?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Failboat Captian
    Skip the bike. Take snorkeling/scuba gear.

...and HTF do you get a conference in the Keys???
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad View Post
    ...and HTF do you get a conference in the Keys???
    I'll speculate that last year's poor attendance when it was held in Lansing, MI was a factor.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would pass as well. You are not only looking out for traffics but as the only major road there are many stores and businesses that have people turning in and out onto the road. Find something else to do

Honey Smack!
    nice wide shoulders, BUT lots of traffic and turning on/off and tourists looking at their garmins instead of you.

Plus if you are anywhere near Key West, lots of drunk people at pretty much any hour of the day.

I'd probably go snorkeling/diving out at Pennekamp.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

Fred the Clydesdale
    Florida Bicycle Association

Some interesting information on this subject.

hold my beer n watch this
    1. Eat at the "Fish House" I miss the Jamaican jerk rub they have there.
    2. For a nice walk go down to the 7 mile bridge in Marathon and park. Walk the old bridge parallel to the new one. Lots of tarpon on the east end, lots of rays, sharks, turtles, etc on the way out to the research center. Low tide is the best time. It was a favorite time killer get out of the hotel and exercise when I used to go the key all the time.
    PS, this is where they filmed part of "True Lies"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Further south, like around Marathon, there is a well-maintained and lightly-used bike path that parallels the road al the way through the town of Marathon. I don't know if it would be worth the hassle of flying your bike there, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Skip biking. To budsy and crappy bike paths. Fish House is nice or the Buzzard's Roost too.

Go snorkeling or diving.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

corning my own beef
    thanks for making my decision to leave the bike at home an easy one. I'll actually be in the Tavernier/Plantation Key area, between Key Largo and Islamorada. Won't have bunches of spare time, but I sure don't want to spend too much of that in a motel room. Thanks, guys.

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

waterproof*
    This month's issue of Bicycling Magazine endorsed the Keys / Hwy 1 as a great winter destination. It said there's a good shoulder all the way and lots of state parks to stop and check out the beach.

Me, I'd just rent a cruiser and hang out at the beach.
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    This month's issue of Bicycling Magazine endorsed the Keys / Hwy 1 as a great winter destination. It said there's a good shoulder all the way and lots of state parks to stop and check out the beach.

Me, I'd just rent a cruiser and hang out at the beach.
    Not many "beaches" in the keys. LIke big white sandy beaches. A few in Key West, but that's about it.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Glue Sniffer
    Rent a moped, swim with the dolphins, and earn some beads.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use.

Yup, I've geeked out and started a blog: www.adventuresinprocreating.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    the shoulder is wide, but there are tons of turn offs and tourists not paying attention. it's basically your call on how comfortable you feel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    If you think you're going to be riding along the ocean, looking at the scenery, think again. That's possible, but generally this is mostly south of Islamorada. The Tavernier area is generally road/houses/gas stations/tourist stores/ETC. I'd leave the bike. Depending on the weather, snorkeling could be good, but if the wind is blowing, visibility will suck.

(Lived in Key West for five years)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Feed the tarpon at Snappers (check out a turtle club membership-10% discount everyday and 20% Thursdays). Eat at Chads Deli. Watch the sunset at Zane Greys, best bar nobody knows about ( up stairs at The World Wide Sportsman, [go in the WWS door, straight to the stern of Hemmingways boat, take the glass elevator on your right to 2nd floor, turn left, and left again, through the womens clothing department] woodwork in the bar is from an Irish castle). The best riding is in the mornings. The bike paths in that area are in pretty good shape but US-1 is nice with wide shoulders most of the time. The traffic early isn't bad at all.

Bonus Points: Go to the "Crib", (just ask anyone) on a Friday or Saturday, but you don't want to get there before midnight. It's kinda like the bar in Star Wars. If you're lucky, Luke and the band will play till the sun comes up. Good luck and have fun.

Dirt Boy is right, Buzzards Roost is great.
    Last edited by Blackbeerthepirate; 02-06-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: duh

Good news everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by catzilla View Post
    Rent a moped

Is this code for picking up fat girls?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeerthepirate View Post
    Feed the tarpon at Snappers (check out a turtle club membership-10% discount everyday and 20% Thursdays).

Dirt Boy is right, Buzzards Roost is great.
    Love the fried Hog Fish there! Also I thought the place to feed the Tarpon was called Robbie's?
    a friend of mine was with us when we went there to feed the Tarpon. He put the fish to low and there Tarpon ate his arm up to his elbow!
    Just a few minor scrapes and small cost. But it was scary. His GF got a picture of it, but I can't find it.
    DIRT BOY

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
    Love the fried Hog Fish there! Also I thought the place to feed the Tarpon was called Robbie's?
    a friend of mine was with us when we went there to feed the Tarpon. He put the fish to low and there Tarpon ate his arm up to his elbow!
    Just a few minor scrapes and small cost. But it was scary. His GF got a picture of it, but I can't find it.
    Yes, Robbies is THE place that started the whole tarpon feeding thing. Now every marina and bar has their version. At Snappers they call it "stress relief". You just go up to any bartender there and ask for stress relief, and they give you some stuff to feed the fish.

I think I have a picture somewhere that has a 100+ lb. tarpon half out of the water with some guys arm down it's throat.