Did I fix myself? Is this possible? Am I crazy? (Dr. types weigh in)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sticky Valentine

Did I fix myself? Is this possible? Am I crazy? (Dr. types weigh in)

You may not want to read this thread, ps.

So, about a year and a half ago or so, while I was working at TJ's I had a dull ache in my groin area which was made worse by... er... "lifting" my junk with whatever muscle that is that does that lifting.

I scared myself into thinking that I had testicular cancer. The pain was rather low, about where my leg meets my torso, on the inside, right there next to the package.

So i went to the Dr. and paid an arseload of money (because I didn't have insurance) to settle my mind.

Turned out that I had (have) a slight hernia.

he said that there's a part there in a lot of males that doesn't quite strengthen itself perfectly after we're born, and that's possibly it. He said to rest and not to worry, whatever it was, it certainly wasn't cancer.

Sweet, a load off.

A few days later all the pain is gone, and I feel perfectly fine. I think that the stress I was putting myself through in my mind working on what it could have been probably had something to do with it sticking around with me for over a week.

Fast forward (or would that be rewind? I never got that) to yesterday.

I don't know what I did, or what I was doing, but I coughed hard to clear my throat and soon thereafter I felt that same pain again.

i went in to the restroom to see if I could feel what was going on and to make sure it was the same thing, and it seemed to be, from what I remember. So rather than checking lower, as i was when I scared myself into believing it was a problem like testicular cancer, I went higher, towards the bottom of my groin.

I was feeling around softly (the doc I saw was acting like he was trying to turn a bag of rocks in to sand, so i figured some light feeling around wouldn't hurt anything) and I felt a little tiny, very soft bump. When I touched it directly, it disappeared and the pain instantly went away.

So, my question is: did I accidentally push my insides back in through my tiny hernia? Does that happen with slight hernias? Do you think I should go to the doctor and tell them what happened?

When I went last time he said that it was very small, and that the only way to fully repair a hernia is to do surgery, and it's not always advised, especially when it's something as small as he felt on me. He said to wait it out a couple days, don't dare lift or strain doing anything, and that it should go away on its own.

Is this weird?

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Beets.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Sticky Valentine
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Beets.

I tried rubbing a beet on my groin already. I mean, it felt good, but I think I should wash it off next time.

joe

Back from the dead
    It could just be a fluke. I think you should post an ad on Craigslist offering to perform the same service for any other guys who have the same issue. If you get the same results on 20 or 30 other guys, I think you can say you are on to something, and you should write a study and publish it in the New England Journal of Medicine.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    I tried rubbing a beet on my groin already. I mean, it felt good, but I think I should wash it off next time.

joe
    Pickled beets!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Sticky Valentine
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    It could just be a fluke. I think you should post an ad on Craigslist offering to perform the same service for any other guys who have the same issue. If you get the same results on 20 or 30 other guys, I think you can say you are on to something, and you should write a study and publish it in the New England Journal of Medicine.

I was planning on doing some "experiments" in SC. I'm happy to hear that you're on board.

joe

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Could you have reduced a hernia? Sure, anything is possible. Can't say without an exam (n0t C0d3) The key is the pain went away.
    Now if the pain returns or gets progressively worse then it needs to be evaluated straight away, exam + ultrasound. You need to rest just like before, no heavy lifting or strenuous exercise. If this gets to be a common thing or again pain returns or worsens then it needs proper evaluation.
    Here is a little lite reading.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ing...hernia/DS00364
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Captain Obvious
    if pain is gone, i think you're good.
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Fast forward (or would that be rewind? I never got that) to yesterday.

So, my question is: did I accidentally push my insides back in through my tiny hernia? Does that happen with slight hernias? Do you think I should go to the doctor and tell them what happened?

Is this weird?

------------------
    Okay, I'm just a second year so take this with a grain of salt.

First, it's fast forward since you are taking the story from a point way back to more current times.

Second, it sounds to me like a hernia and that you exacerbated it with that cough. I think it would be fairly normal with having a slight herniation. I would recommend seeing a health care person just to settle your mind and see if they would recommend surgery at this point. I doubt they would yet but it could become a concern if this happens again. Good luck.
    Dictated but not read.

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    Ejdo has had two hernias in the last 6 years. The first one wasn't done very well and was basically re-done during the surgery for the second. IF, and thats a big if, you decide to get it fixed, find a good Dr. It made all the difference for him.

Recovery wasn't too bad once we figured out Ejdo was allergic to morphine!
    Its not over till you're underground

http://hokierider.blogspot.com

Sticky Valentine
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiterrn
    Could you have reduced a hernia? Sure, anything is possible. Can't say without an exam (n0t C0d3) The key is the pain went away.
    Now if the pain returns or gets progressively worse then it needs to be evaluated straight away, exam + ultrasound. You need to rest just like before, no heavy lifting or strenuous exercise. If this gets to be a common thing or again pain returns or worsens then it needs proper evaluation.

Reduced... does thae mean what I said I think I did? Like, as I understand the hernia doesn't really go away, or, that the hole or whatever it is doesn't go away unless it's surgically taken care of. But is it possible that I just pushed whatver it was that was poking through back in? I felt it go in, and I felt pain for a second when i touched it, but then it went away and the little bump disappeared.

What I felt was probably the size of a jelly bean, and it felt like it disappeared inside when I touched it. Like, it felt that way on my finger, and on my insides. It felt weird. But then it was gone.

joe

Seat's not level
    If you weren't wearing a helmet you are going to die.
    • I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to say it.

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Reduced... does thae mean what I said I think I did? Like, as I understand the hernia doesn't really go away, or, that the hole or whatever it is doesn't go away unless it's surgically taken care of. But is it possible that I just pushed whatver it was that was poking through back in? I felt it go in, and I felt pain for a second when i touched it, but then it went away and the little bump disappeared.

What I felt was probably the size of a jelly bean, and it felt like it disappeared inside when I touched it. Like, it felt that way on my finger, and on my insides. It felt weird. But then it was gone.

joe
    Correct, once there is a weakening or a hole it really doesn't just go away. You probably did push it back in and all is well with the force. Like I said though if you have a return of pain or increasing discomfort it needs to be properly evaluated. Now my disclaimer: If you die it is not my fault....that is all.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

corning my own beef
    What I felt was probably the size of a jelly bean ....... it disappeared inside when I touched it. Like, it felt that way on my finger.
    joe
    Do all the girls tell you that?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

I like Chicken
    Does it smell like fish?

had it in the ear before
    my dad got a hernia while smokin and it sounded very painful...you aint tokin if u aint chokin! glad all is well w/ Joe's netherregions, poast pix!

you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    And why not get the hernia fixed permanently? I had one when I was little and I remember getting sharp pain that would have me double over on the floor. Momma took me to doctor and he said I had a hernia...had surgery two days later, all better. Uh, if you notice 'one of two things' swollen, go the the dr.....I am pretty sure they can fix the tear without incision now...

Sticky Valentine
    Maybe that's why all my friends prefer bongs?

joe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    This should keep it in place.

Although when braz. waxing becomes illegal it might be a bit painful to re-apply.
    Blows your hair back.

Sticky Valentine
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    And why not get the hernia fixed permanently? I had one when I was little and I remember getting sharp pain that would have me double over on the floor. Momma took me to doctor and he said I had a hernia...had surgery two days later, all better. Uh, if you notice 'one of two things' swollen, go the the dr.....I am pretty sure they can fix the tear without incision now...

Nothing was swollen.

I was told by my dad that when I was a little kid, like, before I can remember, I tried to pick up a glass 5 gallon water jug that was full and that I gave myself a hernia. He told me that I swelled up like an orange. I never asked if they gave me surgery, but according to my dad it was pretty bad. I don't have a scar or anything, so i assume they didn't. I must have been two or three.

Maybe it's the same problem that just came out 24 years later.

joe

rkb
    fifth time's a charm

One Week-

of vigorous self gratification, and it ought to go away. If not, at least you had one hell of a week!

Low rep power
    Practicing medicine without a license?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know crap about hernias other than what it feels like to have one. The day before this last Thanksgiving, I woke up with what I thought was an upset stomach, maybe a little constipation. By noon, I was in the worst pain of my life. By the time I was in the emergency room I had ground down my teeth pretty good and broken blood vessels from the wracking pain made my face and eyes look like I just got out of a boxing match. It was all downhill from there. Total intestinal blockage. 65% herniation of the intestine. Immediate surgery.

Worst. Day. Ever.

Like I said, I don't know anything about hernias, but if what YOU have has a chance to turn into what I had... then you need to get that **** sewn up really fast because you don't want this. Broken bones, other surgery, concussions, burns.... nothing I've ever felt approached it. On the upside, though, the surgery was easy and the pain was gone when I woke up between the recovery room and my room. I left the next morning.

The Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiterrn

I'd agree. My concern would be if it started happening more and more frequently and easily, but after letting things rest for a while, I wouldn't cross that bridge before it arrives.
    K$

I like Chicken
    My Grandfather had a few. Some people either do things that make them more
    prone to them or are biologically predisposed I guess.

I do know from personal experience that unless something is wrecking your daily enjoyment of
    life and it's not life threatening try to put surgery off until it's more convenient/affordable/necessary.

and the duct tape could come in handy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast