Distance schooling! Parents, how badly do you want to murder your child or the school
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014

Distance schooling! Parents, how badly do you want to murder your child or the school

This is a venting thread.. it is not a political thread.. it is not about opening up the schools to full in person learning thread..

It is a "what stupid **** did your child or school do" thread that is driving you insane... because if I vent to my wife.. she will beat me...

First off.. getting an 8 year old to focus is next to impossible.. getting an 8 year old to focus on a screen that is not showing youtube or playing games for 6 to 8 hours a day.... is herculean.... I basically have to stand over his shoulder constantly...

As for the school.. what administrator or teacher thought creating a 25 slide deck, with a slide for each student, who are only supposed to edit their own slide.. was a good idea.. kids messing with each others slide for fun.. and by the end of the lesson there were 18 slides in the deck... at least it shows which kids are making the edits.. but still.. wtf.....

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    As for the school.. what administrator or teacher thought creating a 25 slide deck, with a slide for each student, who are only supposed to edit their own slide.. was a good idea..
    I don't know. But cut them some slack. They didn't train for this. They're making it up as the go. They're doing the best they can with a s#itty situation.

Call your school district and tell them their teachers aren't making enough money.
    And let the teachers know what isn't working. They'd appreciate feedback.

My son is a teacher. He, and all the others, are spending a sh!t ton of (personal) time working on new ways to teach your children.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I don't know. But cut them some slack. They didn't train for this. They're making it up as the go. They're doing the best they can with a s#itty situation.

Call your school district and tell them their teachers aren't making enough money.
    And let the teachers know what isn't working. They'd appreciate feedback.

My son is a teacher. He, and all the others, are spending a sh!t ton of (personal) time working on new ways to teach your children.
    All of this.

It sucks...but it sucks far less than having sick/dead kids....times like this are when kids really need to learn/be-taught-to-be self-winding learning, they do the schooling because they want to learn it and be good at it--rather than being 'forced to'. Times like this really expose who the kids are who treat school as 'daycare'.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    That is why I created this thread, to vent. I have not, and would not ***** at the school or the teachers especially. I relay my concerns in a calm and collective manner.

I am fully aware that this is new territory, and the teacher is already aware of the issues, it appears more to be a Google Classroom issue than a teacher issue.. I just needed to vent.. because we are on day 4 of school (we start after Labor Day in my county in MD).. and I am already $2k out of pocket..

The school system (AACPS) bungled the chromebook purchases, so many kids did not have the ability to join the distant learning programs, and since I recently lost my job, and had to return my corp laptop, I only had my macbook which I lent to my kid, but obviously I need a laptop.. so we bought an Imac and a desk for the kid.. (oddly enough, finding a Chromebook that is halfway decent right now is near impossible, or have long shipping delays.. we got the refurb Imac from Apple in 3 days.. which drove our decision.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    As for the school.. what administrator or teacher thought creating a 25 slide deck, with a slide for each student, who are only supposed to edit their own slide.. was a good idea.. kids messing with each others slide for fun.. and by the end of the lesson there were 18 slides in the deck... at least it shows which kids are making the edits.. but still.. wtf.....
    Wai... these are the same folks that bring your zero tolerance because they can't tell the difference between a hunting knife and a plastic knife. They can't differentiate between a thumb and a finger and a real gun. This and you want them to be able to figure out how to teach online... heck, they only had all summer to think about it. Oh wai... my teacher neighbors took the summer to go camping while every other industry was trying to think of ways to survive.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Wai... these are the same folks that bring your zero tolerance because they can't tell the difference between a hunting knife and a plastic knife. They can't differentiate between a thumb and a finger and a real gun. This and you want them to be able to figure out how to teach online... heck, they only had all summer to think about it. Oh wai... my teacher neighbors took the summer to go camping while every other industry was trying to think of ways to survive.
    Stereotyping noted.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are over 6.2 million covid cases in the United States (as of September 6th), eight months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Firstly, I'd like to rub it in that my kids have been in school (real, in person school) for three weeks after the longest summer vacation in recorded history. It's been glorious to have them back and busy.

Secondly, my bride is an administrator at an online, 7-12 grade school. The school has been operating for 12 years and does a great job. They had to turn students away this year because of the mass influx of parents looking for another option.
    The school will never go below grade 7 because the younger kids will never be able to focus long enough and consistently enough to handle it.
    My bride believes the school districts who are trying to teach elementary online are on a fools errand. Her board openly discuss' that they will have an entire nation of kids who are a year or more behind.

P.S. After 3 weeks at school the district here has reported 3 cases of Covid, all among the staff, none for the students who practice ZERO social distancing but do wear masks in the building.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Firstly, I'd like to rub it in that my kids have been in school (real, in person school) for three weeks after the longest summer vacation in recorded history. It's been glorious to have them back and busy.

Secondly, my bride is an administrator at an online, 7-12 grade school. The school has been operating for 12 years and does a great job. They had to turn students away this year because of the mass influx of parents looking for another option.
    The school will never go below grade 7 because the younger kids will never be able to focus long enough and consistently enough to handle it.
    My bride believes the school districts who are trying to teach elementary online are on a fools errand. Her board openly discuss' that they will have an entire nation of kids who are a year or more behind.

P.S. After 3 weeks at school the district here has reported 3 cases of Covid, all among the staff, none for the students who practice ZERO social distancing but do wear masks in the building.
    Firstly, I'd like to rub it in that my kid hasn't been to school in almost ten years. That's one advantage of being old.

I can't imagine having to deal with that - I particularly feel bad for parents that have less privilege and resources than others. Kudos to your bride and what she's doing. You all are right, the impact of this is yet to be felt for perhaps a generation.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Stereotyping noted.
    So they didn't buy a pop-up and spent the summer camping? One strange thing is they come back home and then open it back up for 3 or 4 days. At some point the high winds will kick in and it will end up in my yard.

Zero tolerance does exist. Heck a kid was suspended in my state for moving a toy gun during a online class. The teacher couldn't tell it was a toy gun? Did they really need to call the police and child services for a welfare check? Was there really a threat from a zombie killer gun? https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...olice-toy-gun/

https://www.google.com/search?q=stud...hrome&ie=UTF-8

And... as for the plastic knife comment... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh4N...=CBSPittsburgh There are quite a few instances of suspensions like this. https://www.google.com/search?q=stud...hrome&ie=UTF-8

So stereotypical... yeah, your response pretty much was. So I supported the three points that I initially stated... what you got?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chain; 1 Week Ago at 05:04 AM.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post

I agree with your statement about kids under grade 7. My wife is 2nd Grade teacher (& has been for over 25 years). When school locked down this past school year and she was teaching at home, she got so frustrated. There are so many of her kids that needed that person-to-person teaching time/experience - they could not get it from on-line learning. Also, they were supposed to turn in their assignments on the computer, but she said the kids who were at a lower learning level - they never turned anything in. Ever.

Since she actually cares for her students, she was always worrying about how they were doing (with learning). Most likely the kids that needed the most help were not getting it at home, since those parents depended on the teachers to teach the kids. Can't say for sure (since I never observed it) but I'd have to guess a lot of those parents didn't read to their kids, have their kids read to them or simply get involved with that they are learning.

Frustrating part about school this year: my daughter goes to High School. Based on our last name, she goes to school Monday and Tuesday, then online learning Wed-Fri. Nobody goes to High School on Wednesday (they "deep clean" the school), then the rest of the alphabet goes Thursday and Friday. I believe each class size is smaller, due to half the alphabet going Mon-Tue and the other half Thurs-Fri.

My wife (elementary school) - they go five days a week. She did not get a decreased class size, so she has 20-21 kids in the same room she has always used. Based on that (area), there is absolutely no way for the desks to be spaced out far enough. Thankfully the kids have been good about wearing their masks (so far).

Deep cleaning - not sure when that happens - maybe the weekend? My wife is responsible for the cleaning in her room. Then she gets frustrated because the "special" classes (Art, Music, etc.) complained they needed more time to clean desks. Those special classes do not see the volume of kids that my wife does every day and they have more "off" time than my wife does, but they need more cleaning time.

We'll see how things go as time goes on. My hope is that the normal "sick" time of the year won't be nearly as bad, since I'm HOPING people are washing their hands more and trying to be more sanitary.

(Oh, and I said 20-21 kids for a reason. She started out with 20 kids. Was told she was getting another kid. I asked her this week how that new kid was doing. She wasn't sure since she never saw him. Parents are divorced. Dad never brought the kid back to Mom - he took the kid and took off to the other side of the country. Not sure what's happening now. Fun times.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    https://twitter.com/karajmcdowell/st...61174153838593

It will be hard until we have something like this maybe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh wai... my teacher neighbors took the summer to go camping while every other industry was trying to think of ways to survive.
    My wife is a teacher, a TOSA and a Union Rep.

She spent ALL summer in meetings working with other teachers, administrators and the Union to help work out a system for all teachers to produce the best quality teaching given the circumstances.

She didn't take a vacation, didn't really get a summer break, didn't go anywhere and spent about 4-6 hours a day of her summer (which would generally be non-work time for ALL teachers), trying to put together a whole new way of teaching YOUR children.

Now that school has started, first day yesterday, she taught classes online, then was grading papers through the evening (ending around 9pm).

It appears you think teachers just take vacations and do little, especially with online teaching ... I'll say, online teaching actually requires MORE work than being in the classroom. It requires MORE prep, MORE communication, MORE grading and MORE meetings than a normal school year.

Vent all you want ... just recognize the kids you are struggling with at home for a year, are the ones teachers deal with day in and day out ... and not just YOUR kid, but 30-40 others at the same time.

My wife teaches a middle school choir class with 90+ students in it ... been as high as 104 students in it, with no assistant ... think about that for a minute ... 104 students all aged 12/13 years old in the same small space and only her there to teach, control, maintain order and help the kids learn.

Yet, people gripe about having one or two children at home they have to help learn ... LOL
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

Boobies!
    Chain--I've got to respectfully disagree...

I've been party to ongoing discussions by friends who are teaching this year--one in NJ, one in NY and a couple who teach at one of the SUNY schools in NY. We do a once a week Zoom cocktail hour and they have talked a lot about what is going on.

They have all spent considerable time this summer--unpaid it must be said, especially for the college teachers--trying to come to terms with new technology, new directives and flip-flopping on the part of the politicos and school boards about that the plan is, and how it is to be implemented. This included unpaid training on new software, among other things.

One serious problem is that the schools have not been able to keep up with the IT demands for teachers--our NY friend still has not received the promised new laptop/new software load for fall teaching, despite this being week 2, and she is majorly out of pocket for updating her own tech (as is the OP) to make teaching possible at all....

The aforementioned college sessionals spent part of July and most of August reworking the course content so that their respective classes would be as engaging and workable as possible, given the high likelihood that they would be doing distance teaching this fall--even though it was well into August before the college admin admitted that in-person learning was not happening. All of that time is unpaid--they get a per course payment that is fairly pitiful--and only when they are actually teaching.

It is uncharted territory for everyone--so everyone needs to take a deep breath and try to practice a little patience.

Are there bad teachers? Yes. Is it a different ball game to try to engage students remotely? Yes. And they have all talked about their frustration--they know that it is harder to reach and engage students, but they too are limited by the technology. Learning/teaching works best face to face--and they all wish that were still possible.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

xxl
    So they didn't buy a pop-up and spent the summer camping?

No, that your neighbors bought a camper doesn't mean that all teachers (i.e., "the folks who gave you...," in your parlance) bought campers.

Similarly, that you've culled your news feed for not quite a handful of stories that support your POV of "the folks who gave you..." doesn't mean that all teachers, or all schools, are like the ones you fished for. You should realize that there are many, many more school districts and teachers that aren't reflective of your personal stereotypes.

So yeah, logic is, um, "what I got," [and I'd have written "what I have," as I apparently went to a better school than you did, but I wanted to try to communicate to you in your own tongue] and as it turns out, that's all that's needed.

Try it some time, it'll expand your mind.

There are over 6.2 million covid cases in the United States (as of September 6th), eight months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    It appears you think teachers just take vacations and do little, especially with online teaching ... I'll say, online teaching actually requires MORE work than being in the classroom. It requires MORE prep, MORE communication, MORE grading and MORE meetings than a normal school year.

Yet, people gripe about having one or two children at home they have to help learn ... LOL
    For all the people who b!tch and complain about how teachers don't teach, work little, have half a year vacation.... they're all demanding to send their kids back to school with those same teachers (COVID be damned)
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Seat's not level
    My wife is a teacher, a TOSA and a Union Rep.
    Indoctrination noted.

I don't think all teacher take vacations and do little else. My neighbor teachers did little else than vacation. I appreciate the effort your wife put in to come up with solutions. You observed your wife putting extra effort. I observed my neighbors taking vacation and doing little to help. They even commented that they were just waiting to see what the district came up with. Two different situation and one doesn't exclude the other from being truthful.

I don't have a lot of faith in problems solving skills in those that can't figure out the difference between a toy gun online and a real threat.

Vent all you want ... just recognize the kids you are struggling with at home for a year, are the ones teachers deal with day in and day out ... and not just YOUR kid, but 30-40 others at the same time.

My wife teaches a middle school choir class with 90+ students in it ... been as high as 104 students in it, with no assistant ... think about that for a minute ... 104 students all aged 12/13 years old in the same small space and only her there to teach, control, maintain order and help the kids learn.

I wasn't venting at all. Just stating that I have little faith in the problem solving abilities of public school administration and faculty to come up with timely and effective solutions for the current situation.

YMMV... I have family and friends that are teachers. They have little faith in the school administration's ability to deal with the situation. Some have 'retired' and others just keep their mouth shut so they can keep their jobs. They definitely are struggling with their on-line classes for grade school and special needs kids.

I hope they do come up with solutions. Long term I think the educational industry needs to be updated, revamped, re-imagined and redesigned to serve the kids better.

XXL I'm glad you went to a nice school. They were definitely successful in instilling the "I'm not stupid, you are." debate style. You have convinced me to give up my conservative views and join the liberal revolution. It's been an amazing transformation. Thank you. You are my hero.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Indoctrination noted.
    Political slant noted.

Two different situation and one doesn't exclude the other from being truthful.
    You equated teachers to being lazy and taking vacations while everybody else was working their A$$ off to make things work. You didn't look at the work taking place behind the scenes ... again, political slant noted.

I don't have a lot of faith in problems solving skills in those that can't figure out the difference between a toy gun online and a real threat.
    It's called a "ZERO TOLEREANCE" policy. Many toy guns you can't tell the difference, nothing like have an SRO kill a student due to them having a toy gun.

Your early equivalence was with knives ... however a plastic knife can still severely injure a student if used as a weapon. Just because it's plastic doesn't make it any less deadly.

Political slant again noted ... maybe you should move this to P.O forum?

I wasn't venting at all. Just stating that I have little faith in the problem solving abilities of public school administration and faculty to come up with timely and effective solutions for the current situation.
    Whether you realize it or not ... you were, as evidenced by the disdain shown toward your neighbor taking vacations while you worked hard to "Make things work". They were not on contract time, not being paid for that time and had every right to take the time off ... just as you would if you were not getting paid to work.

Your lack of faith is your own issue, not necessarily that of others.

Was there a lack of communication from administration down? Yep, happened in nearly every district across the U.S. ... however, that doesn't mean there wasn't a lot of work taking place behind the scenes. Many teachers here didn't get their teaching assignments until a week before the start of school. They were frustrated, however, changes occurred daily with students choosing other online options, so enrollment changed daily making it hard to complete full plans.

You don't/didn't see this, neither did the teacher as they don't have access to that information, nor did they need it.

I hope they do come up with solutions. Long term I think the educational industry needs to be updated, revamped, re-imagined and redesigned to serve the kids better.
    They are doing the best they can with the situation, which many don't seem to appreciate, mostly because they never bother to look beyond ... they get summers off and are overpaid, while I have to work year round but make more! Lazy teachers!!!
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

xxl
    [QUOTE=Chain;5453381...

XXL I'm glad you went to a nice school. They were definitely successful in instilling the "I'm not stupid, you are." debate style. You have convinced me to give up my conservative views and join the liberal revolution. It's been an amazing transformation. Thank you. You are my hero.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I went to a good school, too; it affords me the ability to recognize illogical posts such as what you wrote upthread, as well as the bruised fee-fees that compelled you to write your last post.

Since you put it out there that you think so highly of me, let me offer you some advice: I suggest that rather than attempt to join some "revolution" you seem to think is happening, you just stay out of the way.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by wookiebiker View Post
    political slant noted.

You equated teachers to being lazy and taking vacations while everybody else was working their a$$ off to make things work. You didn't look at the work taking place behind the scenes ... Again, political slant noted.

It's called a "zero tolereance" policy. Many toy guns you can't tell the difference, nothing like have an sro kill a student due to them having a toy gun.

Your early equivalence was with knives ... However a plastic knife can still severely injure a student if used as a weapon. Just because it's plastic doesn't make it any less deadly.

Political slant again noted ... Maybe you should move this to p.o forum?

Whether you realize it or not ... You were, as evidenced by the disdain shown toward your neighbor taking vacations while you worked hard to "make things work". They were not on contract time, not being paid for that time and had every right to take the time off ... Just as you would if you were not getting paid to work.

Your lack of faith is your own issue, not necessarily that of others.

Was there a lack of communication from administration down? Yep, happened in nearly every district across the u.s. ... However, that doesn't mean there wasn't a lot of work taking place behind the scenes. Many teachers here didn't get their teaching assignments until a week before the start of school. They were frustrated, however, changes occurred daily with students choosing other online options, so enrollment changed daily making it hard to complete full plans.

You don't/didn't see this, neither did the teacher as they don't have access to that information, nor did they need it.

They are doing the best they can with the situation, which many don't seem to appreciate, mostly because they never bother to look beyond ... They get summers off and are overpaid, while i have to work year round but make more! Lazy teachers!!!

ymssra.

Seat's not level
    I observed my neighbor teachers taking vacations. I never called them lazy. They worked quite hard on landscaping their back yard.
    They were the ones that stated they were waiting for someone else to come up with the solution for online.

As for Zero Tolerance, how is a toy gun on a video call a threat? I believe even the teacher identified it as a toy.

Political slant again noted ... maybe you should move this to P.O forum? I'm not an admin, so that's their call

I didn't disdain them for taking vacations. They have lived next door for 4 or 5 years and they do enjoy their summers. I didn't say I worked hard to make things work. I was fortunate enough to have a few weeks of furlough this summer and I did enjoy going for rides and my time off. Heck, I took a couple more weeks off to enjoy.

Your lack of faith is your own issue, not necessarily that of others. Probably so.

Was there a lack of communication from administration down? Yep, happened in nearly every district across the U.S. ... however, that doesn't mean there wasn't a lot of work taking place behind the scenes. Many teachers here didn't get their teaching assignments until a week before the start of school. They were frustrated, however, changes occurred daily with students choosing other online options, so enrollment changed daily making it hard to complete full plans.

They are doing the best they can with the situation, which many don't seem to appreciate, mostly because they never bother to look beyond ... they get summers off and are overpaid, while I have to work year round but make more! Lazy teachers!!!

Agree. My dad was a teacher and administrator for 30 years, so yeah, I appreciate it. He had his summers "off", but always had side jobs and worked evenings grading papers. He was a coach for several school sports to earn extra money to make ends meet. Heck we probably saw less of him in the summer than we did the school year.

I never called them lazy for how much they work. I also don't have a problem with having summers off, their pay reflects that. I would call their one size fits all solutions under the guise of zero-tolerance a bit lazy. It's a black and white answer for a world full of colors and shades. And yes, the teachers are overworked, short staffed, under paid and expected to be not only teachers, but case workers, social workers and many times parents to the kids. It's not fair. If they only had to teach it would most likely be better off for the kids and the teachers. If they had more time to do their primary job of teaching, they wouldn't need such black and white solutions.

Is it broken? Is it the best it can be? How do you fix it? How do you improve it? I hope they find ways of improving it quickly and soon.

Your wife sounds like she is anything but a lazy teacher. I would be interested in her solutions. Would she shift budget from administration to get more teachers? What would she cut? What would she change if given free reign? Does she know teachers that have checked out and really need to be gone and replaced with new energy and ideas? How does that work or not work with the union.

It's a big industry. Solutions are not easy and even starting changes is tough. I watch my company, and it's a good size company. Most often when trying to make big changes and adapt to quickly changing situations, we are often our own worst enemy. Everyone protecting their piece of the pie instead of building a better bakery. The goals of the individuals involved in creating the solution often don't line up with what needs to happen. Everyone is comfortable in their imperfect situation.

"We've always done it this way" is often the answer to the question why are you doing that? When pressed as to why they do it at all, you get the same answer. It is amazing how often the restrictions on what is being done and why are self imposed. I often run into the situation where there is a complex procedure to gather a certain data point or report. When asked who gets the report and what do they do with it, the answers are often entertaining. Often the executive that is requiring the report doesn't use it at all. They just find it "interesting". When pressed for what decisions are being made with the data, they often aren't using it to make any decisions or changes. We spend tens of thousands of dollars to meet a 'goal' that produces nothing of value, or move the business forward.

So I'll backtrack on my position a bit. I don't truly believe that the teachers and administrators can't come up with a good solution. They are capable and the best we have. But as with a lot of organizations I deal with, there is a need to revisit and define what the true goal is. Cut out the crap, quit doing things because they have always been done that way. Get rid of the pet projects and 'reports' that are just stroking egos or protecting their piece of the pie. Often just calling out the exec is enough to fix the problem. But if not called out, nothing would change.

It sounds simple but defining the goal is often the hardest part of the project. Getting people to give up 'busy work' is probably the next biggest hurdle. Getting long term change... yeah, it's about a 50/50 chance of getting long term traction.

Enough of this for the day. I need to go figure out how to tell my Boss's boss's boss that what they are proposing has been tried 3 times in the last 20 years and it's not a new or improved idea and won't get them what they are after... without getting fired.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We have a hybrid system here, where the kids go to school 2.5 days a week and do home learning on the off days. It reduces class sizes by 50%, lets everyone social distance while still getting some in-school instruction. It's been working well so far. We even have school sports going on, the kids wear masks when on the sideline, and they just limit the number of spectators they allow. That too has been working well.
    Joe Biden: a case study in plastic surgery disasters.

Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    Dave, where you are - is everybody doing hybrid or just the older kids?

Where we are, elementary is full time. Middle school is some sort of hybrid (don't have kids that age, so don't pay attention). High school is 2 days in-person, 3 days virtual.

Personally I think hybrid can work for the older ones but the younger ones just aren't ready for it.

xxl
    I observed my neighbor teachers taking vacations. I never called them lazy...

I didn't disdain them for taking vacations...

I never called them lazy for how much they work. I also don't have a problem with having summers off, their pay reflects that....

So I'll backtrack on my position a bit.

This is what you said:

"Wai... these are the same folks that bring your zero tolerance because they can't tell the difference between a hunting knife and a plastic knife. They can't differentiate between a thumb and a finger and a real gun. This and you want them to be able to figure out how to teach online... heck, they only had all summer to think about it. Oh wai... my teacher neighbors took the summer to go camping while every other industry was trying to think of ways to survive. "

Oh, wai...backtracking your position is an excellent idea.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We had Remote "Learning" like everyone else last school year and the option of that this year. We opt'd for in person, but we don't live in an area with super high covid positivity either. After watching what remote "learning" created in our son's lives last year, we opt'd for in person. If they hadn't offered in person they would have been enrolled in a private school this year.

Personally, it pisses me off that some make this out to be a political issue, it shouldn't be, it's about educating our future generation of adults. Also, about the people that don't have kids who weigh in heavily on what schools are doing - they need to just F off IMHO and mind their on business. For the Teachers that don't want to go back to work face to face - there are other career choices they can make, same situation the rest of the world is facing that aren't given the option to work from home in their career. I feel bad for them but hey, they just need to deal with it and move on like everyone else is.
    Last edited by Srode; 1 Week Ago at 12:27 AM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surveyor 777 View Post
    Dave, where you are - is everybody doing hybrid or just the older kids?

Where we are, elementary is full time. Middle school is some sort of hybrid (don't have kids that age, so don't pay attention). High school is 2 days in-person, 3 days virtual.

Personally I think hybrid can work for the older ones but the younger ones just aren't ready for it.
    ND, where are you at? K-12 here are all hybrid. My youngest is a junior so I'm not sure how well it's going for elementary or middle school.

Our school district has 5 levels that range from all distance learning, to all in-person learning. A committee that meets every 2 week to evaluate and determine if we should be at a different level. We've only been on level 3 (hybrid) so far.
    Joe Biden: a case study in plastic surgery disasters.

Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast