Do something with a penny...

Jan 2005

Do something with a penny...

The introduction of legislation to elimnate the penny got me thinking. We all have hundreds if not thousands of them in desks, drawers, cars and just about anywhere else we throw junk. I probably have a few thousand in a change jug where I put my change every night.

Since it's a royal pain to actually use them, I propose that everybody just gather them up and donate them to a charity of your choice. Lots of stores have yars on the counters collecting for some noble cause.

Next time you are going out. Take the pennys and donate them. Heck you weren't doing anything with them anyways.

Enjoy. KJ

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:H.R.2528:

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Personally, I don't see getting rid of the penny as a sensible move. We'll just wind up with a crapload of nickels and dimes to replace the pennies we now leave lying around. And what happens to prices--does anyone really think retailers are going to round DOWN to the nearest nickel? Maybe I don't know the whole story (hell, I'm SURE I don't), but it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

Now if you want to get rid of some money, get rid of the dollar bill and stick with 1 and 2 dollar coins. I'm TOTALLY behind that.

And of course I always support the charitable urge, so why not donate your pennies? Of course, through the miracle of CoinStar, you can turn your pennies back into folding money pretty painlessly, and then give that much larger single sum to charity that doesn't collect in a jar at the local Safeway by check or credit card.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Shirtcocker
    I use mine for ass pennies.

I've been sticking $30 in pennies up my ass for the past 11 years! That's 3,000 pennies a day; 21,000 pennies a week; 1,092,000 pennies a year! To date that's 12,012,000 pennies, 8 times the population of Nebraska. Those pennies were in my ass! You think you're better than me? Oh, you're not better than me. You handle my ass pennies everyday. You pick up my ass pennies for good luck. You throw my ass pennies in fountains and make wishes on them. You give my ass pennies to your little daughter to buy gumballs with.
    - Upright Citizens Brigade, In TV Shows/Upright Citizens Brigade
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KJohnson
    The introduction of legislation to elimnate the penny got me thinking. We all have hundreds if not thousands of them in desks, drawers, cars and just about anywhere else we throw junk. I probably have a few thousand in a change jug where I put my change every night.

Since it's a royal pain to actually use them, I propose that everybody just gather them up and donate them to a charity of your choice. Lots of stores have yars on the counters collecting for some noble cause.

Next time you are going out. Take the pennys and donate them. Heck you weren't doing anything with them anyways.

Enjoy. KJ

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:H.R.2528:
    Kjohn you have a good heart.....and thats why your goin' to heaven.......and my black heart is goin straight to hell..........

but it is a good idea........i'll try to remember it!
    They showed a bare breast getting bit by a snake. That was worth the hour and a half.- Scotty

Texan's are really just Australian's with funny accents.- GBOA

Grey Manrod
    You know, I was wondering about this. Seems to me that it's another indicator that our currency is losing value. Yet another indicator would be putting it in your buttcrack.
    Last edited by Brick Tamland; 07-26-2006 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    I use mine for ass pennies.
    That's gross, Molly. But it's much along the lines of my first, Homer Simpson-scented answer, which I opted not to send: You can cram your pennies with walnuts, ugly!

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboy389
    And of course I always support the charitable urge, so why not donate your pennies? Of course, through the miracle of CoinStar, you can turn your pennies back into folding money pretty painlessly, and then give that much larger single sum to charity that doesn't collect in a jar at the local Safeway by check or credit card.
    I thought about the Coinstar thing, but I'm sure the guy who came up with it is making a ton money off of it already. Don't you get just partial credit back to the store where the machine is located? Just thought a charity would be a better alternative.

I would find it hillarious if everybody did it. The charities would make out like crazy and think of all the pennies that would be back in circulation. The banks and feds would have to do something with them.

I thought about the Coinstar thing, but I'm sure the guy who came up with it is making a ton money off of it already. Don't you get just partial credit back to the store where the machine is located? Just thought a charity would be a better alternative.

I would find it hillarious if everybody did it. The charities would make out like crazy and think of all the pennies that would be back in circulation. The banks and feds would have to do something with them.
    True enough that the machine takes a cut. I just prefer to do my donating in larger hunks--not that it makes that big a difference. It's a lot easier to tell how much you're giving with a check, though. And of course you won't get your tax deduction if you donate cash in dribs and drabs.

Isn't the idea behind the legislation that it costs more than 1 cent to make a penny now? Seems like it would be a lot less inflationary to just make pennies out of cheaper stuff, or make them smaller or some other cost-saving measure. I know there's a cost for design and engraving the dies, but as soon as you change the penny, the empty-heads out there will stupidly hoard a bunch of the old ones and the new ones (just like they did with the state quarters and the Sacajawea dollars)--effectively loaning the government a bunch of money to pay for the cost.

People are stupid about money, I swear.

Jan 2005
    True enough that the machine takes a cut. I just prefer to do my donating in larger hunks--not that it makes that big a difference. It's a lot easier to tell how much you're giving with a check, though. And of course you won't get your tax deduction if you donate cash in dribs and drabs.

Isn't the idea behind the legislation that it costs more than 1 cent to make a penny now? Seems like it would be a lot less inflationary to just make pennies out of cheaper stuff, or make them smaller or some other cost-saving measure. I know there's a cost for design and engraving the dies, but as soon as you change the penny, the empty-heads out there will stupidly hoard a bunch of the old ones and the new ones (just like they did with the state quarters and the Sacajawea dollars)--effectively loaning the government a bunch of money to pay for the cost.

People are stupid about money, I swear.
    I agree with donating larger chunks, but if it's only pennys sitting around in a drawer I'm not worried about getting the tax deduction for them anyway. If it's 2,000 pennies that's only $20 and won't make a difference on my taxes anyway.

I like the idea of making it out of something cheaper and redesigning it as long as we don't turn it into a collectors item. The Fed and the post office are getting a lot of $$$ just by making 1,001 versions of everything. Give me one stamp, one penny, one quarter, one nickel and I'm okay with it. Everybody saving coins, dollars and stuff just increase the expense of making more of them, which they redesign so they keep saving them. I don't get it.

I like the idea of making it out of something cheaper and redesigning it as long as we don't turn it into a collectors item. The Fed and the post office are getting a lot of $$$ just by making 1,001 versions of everything. Give me one stamp, one penny, one quarter, one nickel and I'm okay with it. Everybody saving coins, dollars and stuff just increase the expense of making more of them, which they redesign so they keep saving them. I don't get it.
    I dunno. I thought collectible money was a stroke of genius. So many people were totally fooled. Amazing. But if the government had real balls, they'd make a collectible $10 piece for every county or parish in the country and balance the budget. But I guess that would be a stupidity tax, just like the lottery, and nobody (except me) wants to be unfair to stupid people.

Jan 2004

Congress must have solved the other problems, huh?

Can't think of why they'd take this up so close to the recess unless they'd settled things in the Middle East, dealt with all the privacy issues, solved the energy situation and taken care of illegal immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    Can't think of why they'd take this up so close to the recess unless they'd settled things in the Middle East, dealt with all the privacy issues, solved the energy situation and taken care of illegal immigration.
    Congress should stick the Middle East and like that in their buttcrack. Then nobody would want to fight over it.

Shirtcocker
    Congress should stick the Middle East and like that in their buttcrack. Then nobody would want to fight over it.
    Ass Holy Land?
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking