Do you tip the hotel housekeeper? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    No, but I expect wait staff to be making less than minimum wage because of the tip culture in North America. I assume housekeepers make more than that but maybe that's not the case. ...
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA! HEE HEE HO HO HO...oh, now THAT is rich!!!!

Seriously, it's bad enough that so many of you are so cheap, and so adamantly, too!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Opus was just napping
    Where do you draw the line? Do you tip the flight attendants, shuttle drivers, people working the counter at the airport food establishments?
    Why do I have to draw a line? The people that I listed work largely thankless jobs all so that I can have a better time on my vacation or night out. Thankfully Mrs. TMB and I have the history in the industry and now the personal finances to show our appreciation for the job those folks do making our off time better. So no I don't draw a line, I tip out of appreciation--it seems like some in this thread don't have that same feeling.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Just had a mobile car detailing place come and do my truck. The place I used to go to (where I had to drop the truck off the night before, and get two rides) now charges $300.
    Fvck that...mobile couple came to my house, were done in an hour and a half, and did a great job.
    It was $115...I tipped them $25.
    Last edited by rideit; 05-23-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    .....I tip out of appreciation--it seems like some in this thread don't have that same feeling.
    It's sad that a fairly large percentage of the population, even knowing that tips are expected, still feel that they are important enough to get great service and not pay for it. The selfishness of my common man is disheartening, to say the least.

As a caveat, there is one place where I believe tipping is ridiculous is at counter service. I'm pretty sure that the tip question on the bill is probably just because they are using standard restaurant software, but I wonder if people actually leave a tip for their fast-food pickup meals? At least in my state, fast food workers make at least $12/hour...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Misfit Toy
    Always, $5 for each day
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Low rep power
    In keeping with today's theme, I travel for work a fair bit and hear more and more from coworkers who leave a tip for the housekeeping staff.
    I also travel for work (and play) and ALWAYS tip the housekeeping staff. Daily, rather than at the end of my stay because staff rotates around, and I want it to go to the person who's doing the work that day rather than a lump sum to someone who may have only been there on the last day.

Housekeepers have really shi*ty jobs, and generally get paid pretty poorly. Hotels tend to minimize staff as a profit tool, meaning that the housekeepers have to clean more rooms in the same amount of time, resulting in increased rates of musculoskeletal injuries. The move to increasingly thicker mattresses over the past decade or so has exacerbated this, resulting in heavier lifts.
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

Low rep power
    Also, while the hotel staff gets to work inside a warm dry place with not much in the way of hazards before going to their home each night
    Yeah. Like cleaning up sh*t and vomit from the folks who partied a little bit too much the night before, or ending up with needlesticks from drug users and diabetics who aren't particularly careful about keeping their used needles out of the sheets, or being sexually assaulted by guests, or, well, you get the picture.

I've done a fair amount of work with hotels and motels, and these are common risks experienced by housekeeping staff.

Your job risks shouldn't diminish your appreciation for others' job risks. The housekeeping staff might actually look at you as having the better job.
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

δanned
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Seriously, it's bad enough that so many of you are so cheap, and so adamantly, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    It's sad that a fairly large percentage of the population, even knowing that tips are expected, still feel that they are important enough to get great service and not pay for it. The selfishness of my common man is disheartening, to say the least.
    I'm not sure what your goal is here. Do you think shaming language has ever convinced anyone to change their ways, or do you think it's more likely to make them ignore you? If your goal wasn't to convince anyone that your opinion is right, why waste the electrons? At best it'll get you some positive reputation points, which possess a monetary value such that you'll still need $5 to buy a Big Mac. It's their money, and they can do whatever they want with it. If you're so adamant about getting everyone to tip in the manner you prescribe, then fork out some dough to all these people.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Eddy 53:11
    I travel frequently. I am the guest who -never- makes a mess. If fact, I 'tidy-up" before I leave my room before housekeeping arrives (nothing on floor, dirty towels easy to grab at once, no dirty anything really etc. If I made my bed and hung my wet towel, you'd never know anyone was in my room.

That said, IF I'm staying for several days in a row I tip daily. I also tip (or tip more) if I see the housekeeper has gone beyond the call by setting-up my toiletries nicely on a towel, or something that gets my attention like that.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Again... I’m in NJ. We tip. We tip really well. We tip everybody. So, drop a 20 on your first, maybe even second drink? You will pay WAY less to drink over the evening...
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Always leave a tip. There’s always someone who needs that money more than I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12