Do you tip the hotel housekeeper?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Do you tip the hotel housekeeper?

In keeping with today's theme, I travel for work a fair bit and hear more and more from coworkers who leave a tip for the housekeeping staff.

I'm firmly in the "no f-ing way" camp but wondered how many of you feel differently.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    In keeping with today's theme, I travel for work a fair bit and hear more and more from coworkers who leave a tip for the housekeeping staff.

I'm firmly in the "no f-ing way" camp but wondered how many of you feel differently.
    Umm.....probably nearly everybody? Do you also gyp waitresses on their tips, too? There used to be a term for people like yourself: a "skinflint".
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I just got done working in a hotel for over 2 years...

I'd say about a third of our corporate guests left tips, and maybe a quarter of regular guests. Broken down by demographics, women tended to leave more tips than men, and these women fell into 2 age groups: Millennials and early Boomers...so, women in their 20's and 30's, and in their 60's and 70's were the absolute most likely to leave a tip.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    it is not a 'tip' if some people are culturally programmed to call it being 'gypped' ( a racist word, BTW) if such bonus money is not left for the housekeeper. wow

A tip is something that is not required to be paid, instead it should be like a gift for absolutely extraordinary service. Like service you've never seen in most of your life before. If an employer is exploiting the culture of tipping to underpay their workers, then that is where the cheating is happening, and only there.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I always do, usually whatever singles I have kicking around.
    They can use it it more than I need it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    typically don't leave a tip for housekeeping unless I left a room in an unusual condition...

puked in the bed, left muddy footprint on the carpet, bled on the furniture, destroyed the toilet bowl with explosive diarrhea, etc.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    i have to confess though .. I do tip the housekeep in US/Canada. only on the first, 2nd 3rd night, not after the last night. Just because I know they are grossly underpaying them .. because of the stupid tipping!

It's reason 2,354 I prefer AirBnB. No tipping, you're dealing with the home owner. You know the ENTIRE price up front before booking. And MAN they all do a much better job than a hotel, for like half or less the price.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

δanned
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Umm.....probably nearly everybody? Do you also gyp waitresses on their tips, too? There used to be a term for people like yourself: a "skinflint".
    "You better spend your own hard-earned money the way I see fit, or else you're a [insert insult of choice here]!"
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Great question. The tip started my career as papa.
    Last edited by Eretz; 05-22-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Frog Whisperer
    I do........before I check out, always.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Always always always. I don't even have them come in every day, since I don't care if the sheets and towels are changed on a daily basis. Even though I keep the place neat and have never had bowel issues in a hotel, I leave at least $5-10 (depending on the stay.)

Makes me insane that people tip bartenders $1-2 per drink, yet the person who cleans up literal sh!t and who knows what else gets stiffed. Maybe it's covert racism now that I think about it.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I leave a tip.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    gyp waitresses on their tips, too? There used to be a term for people like yourself: a "skinflint".
    No, but I expect wait staff to be making less than minimum wage because of the tip culture in North America. I assume housekeepers make more than that but maybe that's not the case.

Also, while the hotel staff gets to work inside a warm dry place with not much in the way of hazards before going to their home each night, I'm putting 12 hour days in the sun/snow/wind, on radioactive/metal laden abandoned mine sites, checking for ticks every hour, and dodging rattlesnakes, for days on end only to come "home" to a single room that isn't mine.

That tends to dampen my enthusiasm about leaving a tip in that particular case.

Master debator.
    Nope. I hate tipping, I hate the inconsistency of it, and I wish it would go away.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Opus was just napping
    Before each trip we go to the local store buy our necessities and get a bunch of singles, those go to the following a few at a time.

Sky Cap
    Bell person
    Person setting up our towels at our loungers for the day
    House keeping
    Cocktail waitress if we are in Vegas gambling

In all over a four or five night stay this sets us back about 50 or so bucks (more in Vegas cuz gambling) on a vacation that we spend a couple few thousand on (or more).
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I used to,but stopped many years ago. I'm a clean and respectul person and having worked as a janitor I know what some people goes through in this type of job. Cleaning my hotel rooms after my stay it's really a 20 minutes deal. No minibar to replenish, no leaflets and magazines taken,not even pens.
    I used to be a good george indeed,but now I became a miserable stiff. I'm an @sshole,but vacationing in the US costs a whole lotta money already,sorry.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 05-22-2019 at 08:17 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Makes me insane that people tip bartenders $1-2 per drink, yet the person who cleans up literal sh!t and who knows what else gets stiffed. Maybe it's covert racism now that I think about it.
    Insane ? With cocktail prices nowadays starting at 15$ why shoud I make it 20$ ? 'couple of bucks before leaving and after the 3rd drink is more than enough..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post

Sky Cap
    Bell person
    Person setting up our towels at our loungers for the day
    House keeping
    Cocktail waitress if we are in Vegas gambling
    Where do you draw the line? Do you tip the flight attendants, shuttle drivers, people working the counter at the airport food establishments?

Master debator.
    When we hiked up Kilimanjaro we went into it knowing that there is quite a bit of tipping involved. I think it was $650 total for the 8 people that helped us get to the top. Carrying our bags up a mountain is a lot different than bringing me my food and forgetting to fill my drink glass. In South America many places don't expect a tip at all, they are paid what is deemed fair already so tipping isn't expected. If you travel it is a good thing to research ahead so you aren't surprised.

I've never been the person to tip a bartender heavily just because she's pretty and can fill a glass with beer

Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    I used to,but stopped many years ago. I'm a clean and respectul person and having worked as a janitor I know what some people goes through in this type of job. Cleaning my hotel rooms after my stay it's really a 20 minutes deal. No minibar to replenish, no leaflets and magazines taken,not even pens.
    I used to be a good george indeed,but now I became a miserable stiff. I'm an @sshole,but vacationing in the US costs a whole lotta money already,sorry.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I do. Its a miserable low paying job. Just got back from visiting my folks in NC. Stayed in a hotel for two nights. Tipped $20 when I left.

Where do you draw the line? I tip my hair stylist. I tip cab drivers. I tip waiters. When I employed a nanny I gave her an annual bonus and paid vacation time. I don't tip plumbers or electricians.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    When I first started travelling, I tipped on the last day, even after I did most of the cleaning, placing all the towels in the tub, not leaving any trash laying around, etc. Basically all they need to do is change the sheets and make the bed. I keep the DND sign up at all times while I am in a hotel.

But after the first 2 months or so, I sort of just stopped. Keep in mind, I stayed at the same hotel every week Mon thru Thur for almost 4 and a half years. Staff knew me well, hell the hotel staff where my friends after a while, and I was allowed to use the service elevator and the kitchen when I wanted to (had to buy my own food from a grocery store though). It was a busy Indianapolis hotel due to the number of conferences and sporting events and what not.

Travelling sucks when you do it that often.. upside.. I have platinum status for life

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I don't tip plumbers or electricians.
    Their "tip" is their service charge because their time is much more valuable than yours or your ability to actually "shop" a repair without a questionable app.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Maybe a few times, but generally no. I didn't even know that tipping housekeepers was a thing, let alone customary, until a few years ago. How is a person to know which trades to tip and which ones not to tip? Where does it end? Is there a line? Why do we tip some trades but not others? I didn't tip the framing contractor, electrician, or plumber who built my house. Should I have?

When I was young, the tip range for restaurant wait staff was 10 - 15%. Somewhere along the line, maybe 20 years ago or so, it suddenly became 15 - 20%. Why? As restaurant prices rise according to inflation, tips automatically increase in proportion at a constant percentage.

So now I know I'm expected to tip the restaurant wait staff, the airport shuttle driver, and my fishing guide - yes, the guide who charges $450 to $600/day, including a boat, but needs a tip because the base rate doesn't quite earn a living? I don't get it, but I just accept it as customary. I guess one reason why I'm slow to tipping housekeeping staff is because I never see them, don't know who is providing the service, and have no idea who is picking up the money that I might leave. It seems a bit odd to me to be leaving cash money just laying there, and never seeing nor knowing who might pick it up.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve98501 View Post
    So now I know I'm expected to tip the fishing guide - yes, the guide who charges $450 to $600/day, including a boat, but needs a tip because the base rate doesn't quite earn a living? .
    No, you tip the mate, not the captain who owns the boat

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Unless I just don't have it in my pocket, I never fail.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast