Does anyone else see a big problem here? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    So how is this 'bad weather' thing really suppose to work?
    meh, we'll just put you down as a hater, mkay...

just curious, do you have any actual flying experience...?
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    Siamese plane, joined at the wing?
    They are called Thai Fighters now. Get with the PC!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    meh, we'll just put you down as a hater, mkay...

just curious, do you have any actual flying experience...?
    So how many rockets have you taken up to space? That's what I thought!
    Go back into your room and CLOSE THE DOOR!

yEA and all you all's weather comments are so full of it.

There are a lot of places to launch a rocket, ok. But there is only one location where the rocket is .... right? OK, now there is bad weather there and they want to go TODAY. How is that going to work? Answer that question!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    So how many rockets have you taken up to space?
    you're just ranting about something you don't understand...

you don't know who financed the project, you don't know who built the aircraft, etc etc...

the Stratolaunch aircraft doesn't take rockets into space...it takes them to FL 350 and releases them, they achieve orbit on their own power.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    you're just ranting about something you don't understand...
    and you assume you do? lets see the degrees.
    BANNED

Russian Troll Farmer
    who's 'we'...?
    Him and all the other 'armchair quarterbacks' who comment on things they are completely ignorant about, I'd guess....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    You do see the problem asking for a 4 year degree to cover what is common knowledge right?

PS, The Wrights possessed no aerodynamic theory degrees. In fact, they found errors in existing theory and rewrote the book.
    Last edited by Akirasho; 04-15-2019 at 03:03 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    you sound like you're all set to taxi to the active with information Foxtrot Uniform...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    OK, we'll see. Mark my words, that POS is another ablatross. And you payed for it. If that POS is built based on common knowledge, why haven't we been doing this all along? Oh yea, common knowledge is way smarter than rocket scientists, right!

I don't have a degree in rocket science and you don't either. So it's just your opinion vs mine. You should request a test flight in that POS.

And no one has answered my question on how it is going to be used in 'bad weather'!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    OK, we'll see. Mark my words, that POS is another ablatross. And you payed for it. If that POS is built based on common knowledge, why haven't we been doing this all along? Oh yea, common knowledge is way smarter than rocket scientists, right!

I don't have a degree in rocket science and you don't either.
    You are correct, it's not rocketry.

So it's just your opinion vs mine. You should request a test flight in that POS.

And no one has answered my question on how it is going to be used in 'bad weather'!
    Weeeeeeeell, one of the reasons modern airliners fly above 30,000 feet is to overfly most weather (aircraft injunears will kneecap me if I claim this as "my opinion") only having to deal with most rough stuff on take-off and landing AND most rough weather, though not all, occur in the far denser lower atmosphere (meterologists will kneecap me if I claim this as "my opinion").

Yep, Damn Wright Brothers made us start with

when they knew we wanted

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=duriel;5308620] And you payed for it.

why are you incapable of understanding who financed the project?

you're embarrassing yourself...

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=Oxtox;5308623]
    And you payed for it.

why are you incapable of understanding who financed the project?

you're embarrassing yourself...
    some of us, myself included, are now chasing bait hooks behind a fishing trawler...

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Ppl need to calm down, yeesh.

Who'da thought an aerospace thread would turn into a shouting match?

giphy

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Things go form newrmale to DEFCON 3 orround here fast! My sis sayes I'm on edge, but I'm not... she is!

I still don't understand how the plane (with a big assos rocket hanging under it) is going to take off in bad weather that a rocket is going to have trouble with. ...and no one's explained that yet!
    BANNED

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I still don't understand how the plane (with a big ass rocket hanging under it) is going to take off in bad weather that a rocket is going to have trouble with. ...and no one's explained that yet!
    I think it's because the weather doesn't have to be all that bad or potentially bad to cancel a rocket launch, aka they don't take a lot of chances that way.

For example, here are some of the weather conditions that'll cancel a Falcon 9 launch:

• Sustained wind at the 162 feet (49 m) foot level of the launch pad in excess of 30 knots (56 km/h; 35 mph)
    • Upper-level conditions containing wind shear that could lead to control problems for the launch vehicle.
    • Launch through a cloud layer greater than 4,500 feet (1,400 m) thick that extends into freezing temperatures
    • Launch within 19 kilometres (10 nmi) of cumulus clouds with tops that extend into freezing temperatures,
    • Within 19 kilometres (10 nmi) of the edge of a thunderstorm that is producing lightning within 30 minutes after the last lightning is observed.
    • Within 19 kilometres (10 nmi) of an attached thunderstorm anvil cloud
    • Within 9.3 kilometres (5 nmi) of disturbed weather clouds that extend into freezing temperatures
    • Within 5.6 kilometres (3 nmi) of a thunderstorm debris cloud,
    • Through cumulus clouds formed as the result of or directly attached to a smoke plume,

They got comprehensive checklists on this, man:

Last edited by SystemShock; 04-15-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    You do see the problem asking for a 4 year degree to cover what is common knowledge right?

PS, The Wrights possessed no aerodynamic theory degrees. In fact, they found errors in existing theory and rewrote the book.
    ...but.....his OPINION is just as important as your (as well as my) engineering degree from an accredited university! You know, even the Pythagorean theorem is just a THEORY........
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    ...but.....his OPINION is just as important as your (as well as my) engineering degree from an accredited university! You know, even the Pythagorean theorem is just a THEORY........
    True, but remember that in many sciences that deal with theory, they are constantly challenging said. When an engineer designs a new airfoil, they prolly base said on theory, then challenge it in a simulation, air tunnel and practical applications.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    True, but remember that in many sciences that deal with theory, they are constantly challenging said. When an engineer designs a new airfoil, they prolly base said on theory, then challenge it in a simulation, air tunnel and practical applications.
    not sure what any of that has to do with the OP's dim-witted ranting about the Stratolaunch being a 'POS.'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I think it's because the weather doesn't have to be all that bad or potentially bad to cancel a rocket launch, aka they don't take a lot of chances that way.

For example, here are some of the weather conditions that'll cancel a Falcon 9 launch:

• Sustained wind at the 162 feet (49 m) foot level of the launch pad in excess of 30 knots (56 km/h; 35 mph)
    • Upper-level conditions containing wind shear that could lead to control problems for the launch vehicle.
    • Launch through a cloud layer greater than 4,500 feet (1,400 m) thick that extends into freezing temperatures
    • Launch within 19 kilometres (10 nmi) of cumulus clouds with tops that extend into freezing temperatures,
    • Within 19 kilometres (10 nmi) of the edge of a thunderstorm that is producing lightning within 30 minutes after the last lightning is observed.
    • Within 19 kilometres (10 nmi) of an attached thunderstorm anvil cloud
    • Within 9.3 kilometres (5 nmi) of disturbed weather clouds that extend into freezing temperatures
    • Within 5.6 kilometres (3 nmi) of a thunderstorm debris cloud,
    • Through cumulus clouds formed as the result of or directly attached to a smoke plume,
    WAIT till you see the check list for installation in a wrightbrothersgoldberg air ship, before they can take off. Let alone launch from the dam thing if it ever get's off the ground!

I can just see the astro-nut getting ready to get in the spaceship, he's going to mars, and he doesn't have his ticket to get on the air ship.
    BANNED

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    WAIT till you see the check list for installation in a wrightbrothersgoldberg air ship, before they can take off. Let alone launch from the damn thing if it ever get's off the ground!
    Not 100% sure what a 'wrightbrothersgoldberg air ship' is (Rube Goldberg?), but if you're referring to the Stratolaunch plane, yes, sure, there's a weather checklist for launching there too, but probably a less restrictive one.

Remember... the plane can fly ABOVE bad weather. So, to cancel the launch, you'd have to have conditions bad enough to ground a (very) large plane's takeoff and landing. Those conditions would seem to have to be quite a bit worse than the Falcon 9 checklist/no-go conditions I posted.

Additionally, the Stratolaunch plane is MOBILE, remember, and can operate from several different conventional runways around the US. If bad weather is starting to come in in one part of the country, it can fly to where the bad weather isn't, and operate from there. A traditional rocket launch system can't really do that.

I can just see the astro-nut getting ready to get in the spaceship, he's going to mars, and he doesn't have his ticket to get on the air ship.
    As I mentioned elsewhere, this probably isn't going to be a platform for launching a manned mission to Mars. It can carry a 250-ton rocket, yes, which sounds big, but that is really only a medium-lift launch vehicle in the larger scheme of things. A Saturn V weighs 3,000 tons, for comparison's sake. A Falcon Heavy is 1,500 tons. And even the (latest version of the) Falcon 9 is 600 tons.

The Falcon 9 can send 4 tons to Mars. This is much smaller than any manned spaceship to Mars would be... and the Falcon 9 is more than twice as large/heavy as the Stratolaunch can handle.

Thus, manned Mars missions are not the Stratolaunch's job unless, again, you launch the Mars spaceship in several pieces, and assemble it all on-orbit, an approach which has 'issues'. It's likely much easier/better to just have the Mars ship be all in one piece and launched by a single heavy-launch rocket, all in one throw/go.

Hey, it worked for getting us to the Moon, didn't it?

Seat's not level
    Yes, they should have painted it red... red is always faster...
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder View Post
    It looks like it was put together by a demented little kid with the Legos he found under the couch.
    Look up Burt Rutan or Scaled Composites, and take a look at all the very unconventional looking designs that have worked very well, including Voyager, the only plane to have flown around the world without refueling, and White Knight Two, the mothership for Space Ship Two.

Nobody knows for sure whether it will prove to be an economically competitive launch system, but I for one think it's good that experimentation is happening. It was built with private money, and a lot of sensible things were done to save bucks (including using used parts - the engines, cockpit parts and landing gear were pulled off retired 747s).

I'm glad to hear that it has flown, after being rolled out a year ago. I have always been a fan of Rutan's innovative ideas. I honestly think the aviation industry could use more of that daring.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Additionally, the Stratolaunch plane is MOBILE, remember, and can operate from several different conventional runways around the US. If bad weather is starting to come in in one part of the country, it can fly to where the bad weather isn't, and operate from there. A traditional rocket launch system can't really do that.
    Fly to different location with the payload attached?

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Yes, I think it would have that capability if needed, depending on landing weight restrictions/specs... though I think you'd just fly elsewhere and lauch when clear of any possible bad weather, i.e. no need to land with it. But if someone knows different, pls chime in.

I still don't love Stratolaunch's approach compared to some other proposed plane-based lauch platforms, but it is kinda fascinating to see what they might be able to do with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I guess that is what they are planning. Imagine flying from PHX to IND, taxing on the runway and peeking out the window and seeing that POS next to you. Enough fuel in payload to make a fire ball the size of the airport!
    BANNED

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast