Does anyone else see a big problem here?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

BANNED

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    It looks like it was put together by a demented little kid with the Legos he found under the couch.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The aircraft seems to follow the rules of aerodynamics, so no probs. OTOH, A mainstay of several branches of the US military in the 1960's was the F4 Phantom, which proved that if you applied enuff thrust, even a brick could fly.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/14/71330...ne-takes-fligh
    Eh? Not sure what the problem is.

Though at first, I did think it didn't make sense as a launch platform because a conventional sub-sonic plane launching rockets at below Mach 1 and from 35,000 feet isn't really making achieving orbit significantly easier for the rocket.. no real significant advantage in terms of payload-to-orbit for a given rocket mass, say.

But then I read further into the article, and the whole point of it apparently is to be able to launch rockets even in bad weather... no more 'weather delays', since you're launching ABOVE the weather, effectively.

So it seems to be a nice alternative to traditional launch pads, or perhaps it could be a back-up to them that could be prepped if the forecast for launch day is that weather will render conventional launch pads a no-go.

Still not sure what the 'big problem' is that you're referring to. The launch plane isn't a 737 MAX.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    looks pretty cool to me.

similar design to this one...

Attachment 324951
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    My problem:

1. You have 3 engines on your right and 3 engines way way over there. If balance of power is not met (flame out, lose of fuel, turbine explosion) it is going to be very hard to control and all unbalance goes through that one center wing section. To say if there were some structural failure in that section, guess what, you have 2 planes, both with all engines on one side on the one wing you got.
    2. If there is bad weather, how in the * are you going to take off in that thing, carrying your payload.
    3. Was that built by Boeing with their own quality control oversight?
    4. I'm thinking we could have saved a billion $ by letting that POS idea pass and moving on.
    5. If one is going to Mars, your going to take off in that thing? I don't think so. Building an orbiting launch station to me would be a way better idea. Now building a small vehicle to fly back and forth to there would be a great idea.
    BANNED

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Eh? Not sure what the problem is.

Though at first, I did think it didn't make sense as a launch platform because a conventional sub-sonic plane launching rockets at below Mach 1 and from 35,000 feet isn't really making achieving orbit significantly easier for the rocket.. no real significant advantage in terms of payload-to-orbit for a given rocket mass, say.

But then I read further into the article, and the whole point of it apparently is to be able to launch rockets even in bad weather... no more 'weather delays', since you're launching ABOVE the weather, effectively.

So it seems to be a nice alternative to traditional launch pads, or perhaps it could be a back-up to them that could be prepped if the forecast for launch day is that weather will render conventional launch pads a no-go.

Still not sure what the 'big problem' is that you're referring to. The launch plane isn't a 737 MAX.

Depends on what you're comparing to and able to launch with that plane.

For reference, it took the Space Shuttle about 60 seconds of burning a crapload of rocket propellant to get to 35,000 feet (caveat emptor it was going hella faster than 200MPH by then)....Which IIRC the SRBs themselves only had a total of 2 minutes of burn-time total---500,000kg of solid rocket fuel (rough guess, burned half of it), as well as another 700,000kg of liquid rocket fuel (rough guess 1/8th of that) to get to airliner altitude.

https://space.stackexchange.com/ques...shuttle-launch

Simply giving a rocket a moving start and 10,000 meters ASL to start would save massively (hehe) on the mass of rocket fuel needed to reach orbit...Not a rocket scientist, but guessing jet fuel is much cheaper per unit mass than any rocket fuel.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    My problem:

4. I'm thinking we could have saved a billion $ by letting that POS idea pass and moving on.
    who's 'we'...?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    looks pretty cool to me.

similar design to this one...

Attachment 324951
    I can't see!!!!!

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Depends on what you're comparing to and able to launch with that plane.

For reference, it took the Space Shuttle about 60 seconds of burning a crapload of rocket propellant to get to 35,000 feet (caveat emptor it was going hella faster than 200MPH by then)....
    FYI, the Space Shuttle is going over 1,000 MPH 60 seconds after launch, aka about twice as fast as the Stratolaunch plane's claimed top speed (which could be a tad optimistic, given not only companies' interest in exaggerating performance claims but also the plane's non-swept-back straight-across wing profile).

Which IIRC the SRBs themselves only had a total of 2 minutes of burn-time total---500,000kg of solid rocket fuel (rough guess, burned half of it), as well as another 700,000kg of liquid rocket fuel (rough guess 1/8th of that) to get to airliner altitude.

https://space.stackexchange.com/ques...shuttle-launch

Simply giving a rocket a moving start and 10,000 meters ASL to start would save massively (hehe) on the mass of rocket fuel needed to reach orbit...Not a rocket scientist, but guessing jet fuel is much cheaper per unit mass than any rocket fuel.
    Would want to see firm numbers on it.

If I sound unimpressed, it's because there's been proposals for much more ambitious 'space plane' launch platforms, such as Robert Zubrin's 'Black Colt', which would fly much faster and higher than Stratolaunch, and give any rocket payload true SSTO ('single stage to orbit) capability.

Again, the article really emphasizes the all-weather capability of the Stratolauch system, not the fuel savings and/or payload increase for rocket mass (though okay, there must be some).
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does it hurt to have multiple platforms?

My local airport rarely sees anything larger than a 737. Should our local thinking preclude a Dreamliner as a waste of time and effort?

Weed

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    My problem:

1. You have 3 engines on your right and 3 engines way way over there. If balance of power is not met (flame out, lose of fuel, turbine explosion) it is going to be very hard to control and all unbalance goes through that one center wing section. To say if there were some structural failure in that section, guess what, you have 2 planes, both with all engines on one side on the one wing you got.
    2. If there is bad weather, how in the * are you going to take off in that thing, carrying your payload.
    3. Was that built by Boeing with their own quality control oversight?
    5. If one is going to Mars, your going to take off in that thing? I don't think so. Building an orbiting launch station to me would be a way better idea. Now building a small vehicle to fly back and forth to there would be a great idea.
    Well, we're gonna hope the thing doesn't break in half... that would be sh!t design, yes?

Far as bad weather operation goes, it most likely is designed to fly above the weather (otherwise, it's raison d'etre does not exist, it is supposed to be able to hit 35,000 feet), and takeoffs in bad weather, well, passenger jumbo jets do that already, it's just a matter of HOW BAD the weather really is.

Far as going to Mars via this thing, no, I think any manned Mars spacecraft would be put into orbit via heavy-lift booster (think of a Saturn V on steroids), and not via this deal, as the launch mass would be too high for it (it can carry a 250-ton rocket, but that's not 250 tons to orbit, more like 1/20th of that).

Unless you want to do on-orbit assembly of a multi-piece spacecraft, which is complex and fraught with issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Similar to this but split cockpits to leave the mid portion open for the payload mounting.

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  19.5 KB

I suppose they already did the value engineering calculation to see if it's more economical to launch a rocket that way or not.

RoadBikeReview Member

Unless you want to do on-orbit assembly of a multi-piece spacecraft, which is complex and fraught with issues.
    Who knew someone obsessed with Game Of Thrones could use a word like fraught!

We are approaching some new "active airframe" designs which may blow your minds like Flight of the Navigator".

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Who knew someone obsessed with Game Of Thrones could use a word like fraught!
    Methinks you are way too concerned with my vocabulary, yea verily.

giphy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    who's 'we'...?
    Right? Unless you count all of us who threw money at Microsoft over the past few decades that paid for Windows 8 among other notable achievements.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't see!!!!!
    XP-82 Twin Mustang...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Whatever happened to the idea of a space elevator?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The aircraft seems to follow the rules of aerodynamics, so no probs. OTOH, A mainstay of several branches of the US military in the 1960's was the F4 Phantom, which proved that if you applied enuff thrust, even a brick could fly.

Probably why in terms of use or life span and production it became the most successful fighters in ever made by the US and one of the most widely used internationally.

I enjoyed riding around in one, except for the part of it smoked like a steel factory D model.

Weed
    XP-82 Twin Mustang...
    They recently made one flyable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GsqUjLSqZc

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Whatever happened to the idea of a space elevator?
    Nothing happened to the idea. Actually producing materials for the cable is the problem. Carbon nanotubes are strong and light and might work, but the largest produced to date are tiny. Measured in centimeters, not meters, and certainly not km.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Far as bad weather operation goes, it most likely is designed to fly above the weather (otherwise, it's raison d'etre does not exist, it is supposed to be able to hit 35,000 feet), and takeoffs in bad weather, well, passenger jumbo jets do that already, it's just a matter of HOW BAD the weather really is.
    So how is this 'bad weather' thing really suppose to work?
    So the weather is bad in Cape Canaveral, and we need to launch today. What are you going to do, drive your rocket to Houston, load it on the plane and take off there to 35,000ft? I don't think that is going to work.

Somehow I think if there is weather in Cape C, that plane ain't taking off from Cape C with a payload.
    I would think weather would be easier to handle if you have a rocket engine than a dam plane with a wing sail. HELLO!
    A rocket will blast through any wind or whatever, no wing is going to do that!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    So how is this 'bad weather' thing really suppose to work?
    So the weather is bad in Cape Canaveral, and we need to launch today. What are you going to do, drive your rocket to Houston, load it on the plane and take off there to 35,000ft? I don't think that is going to work.
    You're assuming that the Cape is the Only launch venue for Every rocket. Not true. Anyone wishing to launch a payload would consider option based on said payload and mission requirements.

Somehow I think if there is weather in Cape C, that plane ain't taking off from Cape C with a payload.
    I would think weather would be easier to handle if you have a rocket engine than a dam plane with a wing sail. HELLO!
    Again, the Cape was initially chosen for it's proximity to water for early manned missions (the Russians have lost crews using braking rockets and landing on Terra Firma) There are many viable launch sites (both private and government) that are more "Weather Stable" than South Florida.

A rocket will blast through any wind or whatever, no wing is going to do that!
    Not true. A rocket even as massive as a Saturn V is subject to weather. Indeed, even if you did launch under adverse conditions, the rocket would waste precious fuel just fighting wind (just like a cyclist can easily displace the air in front at 10mph... not so easily at 30mph)! Most rocket launches don't waste weight by hauling unnecessary fuel.

I applaud innovations and throw away the box thinking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Siamese plane, joined at the wing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast