Thread: Dr Who?

Frog Whisperer

Dr Who?

I am a couple of weeks behind because I have to buy it on Amazon Prime and i have a busy life, but the new season and the new Dr are both great! That is all
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:22 PM.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Russian Troll Farmer
    I saw the first 2 episodes of the recent series and gave up quickly. She's a terrible actress, and the script writers this season are awful. That story set on Montgomery, Alabama was the most contrived piece of crap I've ever seen in a Dr. Who, and I've been watching since the John Pertwee was "The Doctor". Yeah, it looks like the BBC has once again ruined a classic. The Indian/lesbian (?) character would be a good travelling companion, but the young black guy and his blokey white step-grandad add absolutely nothing to the story, and it looks like the BBC just put them in for more 'social relevance". Are they writing scripts by committee these days?

I'm hoping that the doctor goes on another hiatus, like they did from the mid 80's until it was revived a few years ago. This garbage is an insult to sci-fi fans everywhere.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    m in for more 'social relevance". Are they writing scripts by committee these days?

I'm hoping that the doctor goes on another hiatus, like they did from the mid 80's until it was revived a few years ago. This garbage is an insult to sci-fi fans everywhere.
    that is another opinion to which I respectfully disagree

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I was meaning to catch the 13th Doc run...and so far have managed to miss every one. Then check BBCAmerica--and missed the review this AM. Damn it.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I was meaning to catch the 13th Doc run...and so far have managed to miss every one. Then check BBCAmerica--and missed the review this AM. Damn it.
    Amazon prime video and Google play

gazing from the shadows
    I, also, like the new Doctor. Different, yet the same.

The most recent episode wasn't quite up to the first couple, writing wise. Imo. But given new actors, and a new team, I expect it to take a bit of time for them to fully hit their stride.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    ...I've been watching since the John Pertwee was "The Doctor"...
    Newb.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I, also, like the new Doctor. Different, yet the same.

The most recent episode wasn't quite up to the first couple, writing wise. Imo. But given new actors, and a new team, I expect it to take a bit of time for them to fully hit their stride.

Only saw last night's. Liked it your reading of it is pretty on point. I didn't realize how accustomed to "Doctor saves a/the world from _____" plots I was, and that one was a nice change.

We're now firmly in the post-Moffat times...that man was brilliant and left big shoes for others to fill, IMHO.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    the franchise has been so bad at times during it's history, that even those incidents (Peter Cushing) are great. The "Who" universe is almost bulletproof in that respect.

I've not followed the series in about 4 years but have little doubt that given enuff time and food and pee breaks, I'd happily catch up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like it, a lot. I think Jodie Whittaker is terrific - loved her in "Broadchurch", which may be the best serialized TV drama ever. I'm looking forward to more episodes.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I am a couple of weeks behind because I have to buy it on Amazon Prime and i have a busy life, but the new season and the new Dr are both great! That is all
    I think the idea of a female Doctor is a giant fail. It's just virtue signaling by the BBC.

I won't be watching this particular go-round.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    I think the idea of a female Doctor is a giant fail. It's just virtue signaling by the BBC.

So, no Bond, Jane Bond for U???

Frog Whisperer

Did I mention that she was as cute as a speckled pup?

gazing from the shadows

Your loss.

BTW, odd that you were not bothered by all the other "virtue signaling" going on in the series since 1963. Because from its start as a children's educational show, morality has been a pretty central theme. I should know, I've pretty much seen all there is to see in the series.

But in any case, you have now signaled your virtue by judging the show without watching it at all. Your work here is done.

gazing from the shadows
    Did I mention that she was as cute as a speckled pup?
    She is that. And yet still clearly The Doctor.

I think many girls will want to be her, as well as some boys. And many boys will fantasize about her, as well as some girls.

Frog Whisperer
    well then, episode 4 got highly political!!!! But, I'm on the same side so it works!

Boobies!
    Generally, I like sci-fi stuff and Britcoms (and other stuff from the BeeB), but somehow I never took to Dr. Who...

I think I was sucked in by the surface appeal of Star Trek--and the early Dr. Who looked pretty dire visually, so I never got started.

I may have to take a look at an episode of the new series...
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

RoadBikeReview Member
    well then, episode 4 got highly political!!!! But, I'm on the same side so it works!

Moebius Strip

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Generally, I like sci-fi stuff and Britcoms (and other stuff from the BeeB), but somehow I never took to Dr. Who...

I think I was sucked in by the surface appeal of Star Trek--and the early Dr. Who looked pretty dire visually, so I never got started.

Start with the end of last season...... Last episode of that first.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post

.... in the annalls of Sci-fi, there are some forms that defy their obscelence. I can still find pleasure with Buster Crabbe as Flash Gordon even though there were better stories and special effects in the same era.

Star Trek has been remastered with newer graphics which may appeal to both a new audience and old tymers.

Despite such classics as Forbidden Planet and The Day The Earth Stood Still my generation's expectations in the genre were reset by 2001, a Space Odyessy which, in my opinion, is STILL the benchmark. But we cannot erase Commander Cody!!

In many ways, Dr Who reminds me of a perception issue (cultural). Many Japanese stories involve anti heros which can dissatisfy a western mind looking for the cowboy with a white hat (Seven Samurai = Magnicent Seven). Dr Who is a severely flawed person that we've come to rely upon.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    .... in the annalls of Sci-fi, there are some forms that defy their obscelence. I can still find pleasure with Buster Crabbe as Flash Gordon even though there were better stories and special effects in the same era.

Star Trek has been remastered with newer graphics which may appeal to both a new audience and old tymers.

Despite such classics as Forbidden Planet and The Day The Earth Stood Still my generation's expectations in the genre were reset by 2001, a Space Odyessy which, in my opinion, is STILL the benchmark. But we cannot erase Commander Cody!!

In many ways, Dr Who reminds me of a perception issue (cultural). Many Japanese stories involve anti heros which can dissatisfy a western mind looking for the cowboy with a white hat (Seven Samurai = Magnicent Seven). Dr Who is a severely flawed person that we've come to rely upon.
    Funny, I loved science fiction as a kid, I had read the whole Tom Swift series by the time I was in 3rd grade. I never cared for Star Trek or Star Wars. My fascination with A Space Odyssey may have been related to the chemistry of the late 60's (on several levels)

RoadBikeReview Member
    My fascination with A Space Odyssey may have been related to the chemistry of the late 60's (on several levels)

no chemical assist needed