Thread: The Easter Egg

RoadBikeReview Member

The Easter Egg

My Neighbor died last week.

He had been chronically ill for as long as I have known him (28+ years) and in recent weeks, had been in and out of hospital several times.

Many a time, I'd seen a squad at his front door with the expectation that within a few days, after a "tune up", he'd be home again, his old cantankerous self, at which point, we'd sit on his front porch and bullschlitz. Indeed, about a week beforehand, he'd returned looking good and grinning ear to ear.

We'd developed a friendship over a fence. I moved back into my childhood home after my Dad's passing and over a period of several days, cleaned out a heavily overgrown fenceline as he gleefully watched me sweat, always offering to give me a hand (as in two hands clapping). We'd swap tales (he was my Dad's friend before) that would eventually migrate to long bull sessions on his front porch. I was always welcome. That ended last week.

Ironically, despite literally over a thousand such visits over the years, I did not have his home addr. I decided to use Google maps and then, the magic happened,

In street level view, from 2016, there he was, sitting in his spot and peering round his sunshade as the camera car passed. I smiled.

Frog Whisperer
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."