ebay -- any advice on cancelling an auction early
    RoadBikeReview Member

ebay -- any advice on cancelling an auction early

I've got an item up for auction, no bids yet, but received an offer to buy it outright. This means I will have to cancel the auction early.

I wonder if the community has any thoughts about doing this. Never done it before, but I've heard of it.

I'm not interested in trying to screw ebay out of its commission, but this is a low dollar item and I wouldn't mind just getting this process over with quickly. I could tell the prospective bidder to place his bid at the suggested price then cancel with a "sell to highest bidder" option. That way e-bay gets its commission and we are still using the ebay system.

Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Incorrigible Wanderer - R.I.P.

Early cancellations are pretty common

I've run up against a half-dozen this year. They can be pretty frustrating for a prospective bidder, but I don't think there's anything really unethical about them. I've noticed a lot of sellers including a note in the auction text to the effect that they reserve the right to end the auction early. I don't know what eBay's take is on the matter, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Walrus
    I've run up against a half-dozen this year. They can be pretty frustrating for a prospective bidder, but I don't think there's anything really unethical about them. I've noticed a lot of sellers including a note in the auction text to the effect that they reserve the right to end the auction early. I don't know what eBay's take is on the matter, though.
    Thanks. I leaning towards doing it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone 5200
    Thanks. I leaning towards doing it.

Only do it if you have no bids yet. If you have bids, let the auction run it's course. You entered into a good faith agreement with that bidder that you will sell the item to the high bidder by putting it up and they entered the same agreement with you by bidding. You can add rules to that like a reserve and shipping fees, but you expect them to pay you if they win, and they expect you to sell it if they win. So with bids, you would be a chump to end it early. Without bids, who cares.

I had a seller end an item I was the only bidder on 5 minutes before the auction ended because it was going to sell dirt cheap, that's a dick move. I contacted eBay about it and they cancelled his ID. And now you need a credit card to sign up, so it's harder to get back on eBay if that happens.

Anyways, with bids, bad, no bids, fine.

Russ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by russw19
    Only do it if you have no bids yet. If you have bids, let the auction run it's course. You entered into a good faith agreement with that bidder that you will sell the item to the high bidder by putting it up and they entered the same agreement with you by bidding. You can add rules to that like a reserve and shipping fees, but you expect them to pay you if they win, and they expect you to sell it if they win. So with bids, you would be a chump to end it early. Without bids, who cares.

I had a seller end an item I was the only bidder on 5 minutes before the auction ended because it was going to sell dirt cheap, that's a dick move. I contacted eBay about it and they cancelled his ID. And now you need a credit card to sign up, so it's harder to get back on eBay if that happens.

Anyways, with bids, bad, no bids, fine.

Russ
    I'd thought that ebay wouldn't you allow to cancel an item with less than 24 hours left if there were bids. even if they did allow it, that's not something I would do. I have cancelled items early on before, like within the first few days of listin when someone made me an offer. I've also cancelled listings close to the 24 hour limit when there were no or low bids, then contacted the bidders and made an offer. basically didn't want my stuff to sell too low ... I wouldn't do that now, though; I'd start at $0.01 and put a resserve up.

Ya, what ATP said...!

Go ahead...

People often times list an item with multiple sources and reserve the right to cancel the auction if it sells in another venue. Ebay doesn't care about the commission, they've made the listing fee. Allowing you to cancel your item is a flexible feature that will get you to list more things with them in the future. People who have bid on an item cannot leave back feedback against you unless they have won the auction but they can report you to Ebay for abuse of policy. From Ebay's website:

Ending Your Listing Early

Sometimes something goes wrong and you can't complete your listing as planned. If needed, you can choose to end your listing before the scheduled date. If there are bids on your item, you can cancel them.
    Reasons for ending listings early include:

* The item is no longer available for sale.
    * There was an error in the starting price or reserve amount.
    * There was an error in the listing.
    * The item was lost or broken.

To end your listing early, follow these steps:

1. Type your item number into the Ending Your Listing Early form. (You can get this number on your listing, on your confirmation email, or on your My eBay page.)
    2. If there are bids on your item, choose between:
    * Cancel bids and end listing early
    or
    * Sell item to high bidder(s) and end listing early
    3. If your item has no bids, you'll skip this step. Choose the reason you're ending your listing early.
    4. Now your listing will end and will no longer be displayed on eBay. If there were bidders, they will be emailed that their bid was canceled and the listing ended early.

Note: Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be reserve fee circumvention. Although there are legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, abuse of this option will be investigated.

RoadBikeReview Member

Report -- Here's what we did . . .

I read the ebay policy. It says that once there is one or more bids the seller can, if he wants, elect to close the bidding early and sell to the highest bidder.

So here's what we did. We agreed to a price via e-mails. I told the buyer to place a bid at that price and promised to close the auction early with a "sell to highest bidder" if he did that. He did, I closed early. He sent a pay pal immediately. I've already shipped the item.

This worked well because (1) its an approved method under the ebay policy, and (2) its done within the ebay framework so we can use feedback, paypal protection, and the other benefits of ebay.

NeoRetroGrouch

If you have a bid, you have a contract...

Of course you can break your contract, people do it every day. Don't let being dishonest stop you.

TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

RoadBikeReview Member

Lightbulb You could try this ...

Come up with a price both you and the buyer agree on, have them set an outrageously high maximum bid. That way if someone does bid they wont outbid the buyer. By doing this you will be able to sell your product at a price you want, you wont have to cancel an auction, and both of you will be getting feedback.

RoadBikeReview Member

oops ... i should have read the entire thread ... :-/

no more ;)

B2
    You talking to me?

ebay policy

Quote Originally Posted by Drone 5200
    I've got an item up for auction, no bids yet, but received an offer to buy it outright. This means I will have to cancel the auction early.

I wonder if the community has any thoughts about doing this. Never done it before, but I've heard of it.

I'm not interested in trying to screw ebay out of its commission, but this is a low dollar item and I wouldn't mind just getting this process over with quickly. I could tell the prospective bidder to place his bid at the suggested price then cancel with a "sell to highest bidder" option. That way e-bay gets its commission and we are still using the ebay system.

Any thoughts or experiences with this?
    Reasons for ending listings early include:
    • The item is no longer available for sale.
    • There was an error in the starting price or reserve amount.
    • There was an error in the listing.
    • The item was lost or broken.
    Note: Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be reserve fee circumvention. Although there are legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, abuse of this option will be investigated.

I know it happens all the time, but technically I don't think ebay allows you to cancel so you can sell the item outside the auction. Also be careful about people asking you to cancel the auction early and sell to them. This a common request with the scammers.

Bryan