Is This An eBay Buyer's Trick?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

Is This An eBay Buyer's Trick?

I'm selling a bike helmet on eBay.

While I had 3 Watchers and almost 100 views, it did not sell.

After the auction closed (I have it automatically relisted anyway), I received a PM from a prospective buyer asking if I was "open to offers".

I declined and explained I thought the item was attractive at it's current price.

They then replied with, "Will you accept a Buy It Now?".

Is there a gimmick I'm not seeing? Why not just bid with a limit and stick to it?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Some people don't like waiting and dealing with auctions. Probably 95% of the stuff I buy or sell on ebay is straight up Buy it now.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Neophyte
    It's not a trick he's just trying to negotiate you down, and hoping to eliminate time. If you do another auction he has to wait, besides just lack of patience buyers get anxiety over other bidders noticing the item. If you agree to a Buy it Now price and he's in direct communication with you he's likely to be first to click Buy if you change the item.

My advice is stand firm if you think your minimum price is where you want it. If he wants it that bad he can bid. Or tell him for Buy it now the price will be higher. All moot if somebody comes in and bids before you decide.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been on eBay for 15+ years now. Back when I was an arsehole eBay raider and eBay's user policies were not mature, user to user communication was permitted (and information was publicly visible). I would contact competing buyers in an attempt to intimate through the dissemination of false information about the item, causally mentioning how much I was willing to pay for the item and asking them if it was worth more in their estimation (they would bid just higher and I would top that at last ten seconds). By far the most effective method was spreading doubt ("Hey, I noticed you were bidding maybe you can help me... are you seeing this small crack? is that a crack or am I seeing things?")

We have very nice things at home (and admittedly I am trying to suffer less from the paradox of choice, shorturl.at/kzAOX) but we very rarely if ever shop retail. I always try to communicate directly with the seller - to the extent that it is still allowed - to make a connection or try to beat the price down.

I've been hit with scams recently where NO ACTIVITY or LOW TRANSACTION buyers contact me and offer to purchase my items. While I do believe they pay via PP and the funds settle in my account, they will contact PP/eBay customer service and attempt to get a refund for the item claiming something was wrong. In most instances, they keep the item and the money is debited out of your account. If your account is at zero a lien of sorts is placed and will be withdrawn in the future. My BIL was scammed on a laptop and had to migrate to a new user account to continue to purchase items on the platform.

If the user is LOW ACTIVITY (no buys sells in 9+ months) and LOW USAGE that account may have been compromised.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...tem-protection

Helmets are tough as people really are paranoid of post crash stuff being sold. In the body of the auction I will usually address this head on "I've been on ebay for 10+ years 100% positive, adult owned, no crashed. Let's chat if you want to become more comfortable with this transaction".

Also, I am trying to sell a wedding dress and I have something like 270 watchers? Not selling, but I am getting low ball offers via messages.
    Last edited by 9W9W; 12-13-2018 at 07:55 AM.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

a real member's member
    i've bought a ton of stuff on ebay lately as i have rebuilt four vintage bikes in the past couple months. i've had really good luck waiting until the last ten seconds of the auction to bid and won all those except two. here's some of my best deals:

- a nos suntour sprint rear derailleur for $0. the seller misplaced the cable anchor bolt and issued a credit. i manufactured my own using a spare front derailleur.

- a campy seatpost that was bundled with another item i didn't want. i sent the seller a message with my offer for the seatpost only ($30, shipped), and he accepted.

- some nos-like 6400 brake calipers for under $20, shipped.

- i needed a campy rear brake bolt and won an auction for two brakes, two levers, and assorted campy bits for $36. (i sold the levers yesterday on craigs for $35.)

- lots of consumables for cheap. chains under $8, derailleur cables under $1/ea, and brake cable kits with lined housing under $8.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    I've been on eBay for 15+ years now. Back when I was an arsehole eBay raider and eBay's user policies were not mature, user to user communication was permitted (and information was publicly visible). I would contact competing buyers in an attempt to intimate through the dissemination of false information about the item, causally mentioning how much I was willing to pay for the item and asking them if it was worth more in their estimation (they would bid just higher and I would top that at last ten seconds). By far the most effective method was spreading doubt ("Hey, I noticed you were bidding maybe you can help me... are you seeing this small crack? is that a crack or am I seeing things?")

We have very nice things at home (and admittedly I am trying to suffer less from the paradox of choice, shorturl.at/kzAOX) but we very rarely if ever shop retail. I always try to communicate directly with the seller - to the extent that it is still allowed - to make a connection or try to beat the price down.

I've been hit with scams recently where NO ACTIVITY or LOW TRANSACTION buyers contact me and offer to purchase my items. While I do believe they pay via PP and the funds settle in my account, they will contact PP/eBay customer service and attempt to get a refund for the item claiming something was wrong. In most instances, they keep the item and the money is debited out of your account. If your account is at zero a lien of sorts is placed and will be withdrawn in the future. My BIL was scammed on a laptop and had to migrate to a new user account to continue to purchase items on the platform.

If the user is LOW ACTIVITY (no buys sells in 9+ months) and LOW USAGE that account may have been compromised.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...tem-protection

Helmets are tough as people really are paranoid of post crash stuff being sold. In the body of the auction I will usually address this head on "I've been on ebay for 10+ years 100% positive, adult owned, no crashed. Let's chat if you want to become more comfortable with this transaction".

Also, I am trying to sell a wedding dress and I have something like 270 watchers? Not selling, but I am getting low ball offers via messages.
    It's a common Ebay enabled scam for buyers to file a SNAD, claiming something is wrong with the item, and then to send back an empty box. Once Ebay sees via tracking that the package has been delivered, the seller has a choice of either issuing a refund or escalating the case. Even with photos, they usually find in favor of the buyer. Fortunately this happens mostly with high value items (phones, laptops, etc) so if you avoid selling those you can avoid most of the problems. I have virtually no issues with returns selling vintage Ford parts.

To the OP, that helmet is not going to be a big seller at that price. You can get them new for less. Put it up for a 9.99 start price and take what you get.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Rub it............
    I've sent messages to perspective seller asking if they would take a deal if there is no buy it now. Usually it's successful and I save a few bucks. Most people will take a deal if the offer is reasonable.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Cannot bench own weight
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    I've sent messages to perspective seller asking if they would take a deal if there is no buy it now. Usually it's successful and I save a few bucks. Most people will take a deal if the offer is reasonable.
    Yea. If there is no BIN then I typically don't bother. I'd also never buy phones / computers on there, for reasons already mentioned.
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Probably 95% of the stuff I buy or sell on ebay is straight up Buy it now.
    Me too, I usually just hit the "buy it now" filter right at the start. I have Veruca Salt Syndrome when it comes to shopping... I want it now. If I have too much time to think about buying something, I almost always talk myself out of it.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    same if I want something, usually why I shop, I don't want to waste the time on an auction just to be beaten by 5 cents by someone after waiting a week.

but I do sell all my used stuff on auction with a very attractive starting price (often buds up to beyond my expectations). This is on another account that is separate from my business sales account.
    I sell all my new stuff with BIN and if people google what I sell they will find my net shop with a lower price and I don't pay 10% commission but that 10% plus a bit is in the BIN price. I view auction sites as a shop window for my own online business.