• 10-06-2020
    tlg
    Eddie Van Halen dies at 65 Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
    https://news.yahoo.com/eddie-van-hal...193921730.html

Eddie Van Halen, the all-American guitar hero who, with his namesake hard-rock band Van Halen, redefined the sound and possibilities of the electric guitar in the 1970s and ’80s, died on Tuesday at age 65. The cause was throat cancer.

"I can't believe I'm having to write this, but my father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning," wrote his son Wolfgang Van Halen via Twitter.

https://townsquare.media/site/295/fi...tty-Images.jpg
    <iframe width="860" height="615" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z_lwocmL9dQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 10-06-2020
    ivanthetrble
    Screw 2020! RIP EVH. :-(
  • 10-06-2020
    Surveyor 777
    I know there are a few other guitarists on this site (other than me) - not sure how he affected them, but he was THE reason I bought a guitar and became addicted to it. I feel both extremely sad and also like someone punched me in the gut at the same time.

RIP King Edward.
  • 10-06-2020
    Retro Grouch
    Listening to Eruption on the first Van Halen album was like witnessing a guitar god descending from the heavens.

I hold no grudge when Eddie took Valerie Bertinelli from me all those years ago :mad2:

Rest in peace and say "hi" to Neil Peart for me :thumbsup:
  • 10-06-2020
    Mapei
    Absolutely, sensationally talented. No other guitar player ever played with so much sheer fun.
  • 10-07-2020
    jlandry
    I'm ****ing crushed. My musical hero. It's because of him that I started playing 35 years ago,
    and EVH was the reason I try to play at my best today.
    Even my wife was crying at the news knowing how hard it would hit me.
  • 10-07-2020
    nayr497
    I can still remember how fascinated I was as a kid by my older brother's cassette tape of 1984 and that bad a*s baby!

RIP, Eddie!
  • 10-07-2020
    thatsmybush
    Very few had a such a defined "sound" that you could just recognize...or in the case of the story below--thought some poser was pretending. RIP

I didn’t know how he would react to what I was doing. So I warned him before he listened. I said, ‘Look, I changed the middle section of your song,’” Van Halen told CNN. “Now in my mind, he’s either going to have his bodyguards kick me out for butchering his song, or he’s going to like it. And so he gave it a listen, and he turned to me and went, ‘Wow, thank you so much for having the passion to not just come in and blaze a solo, but to actually care about the song, and make it better.’”
    Van Halen worked for free, was not credited on the album and didn’t appear in the video. But his touch was undisguisable. After the record’s release, Van Halen would remember shopping in a Tower Records while “Beat It” was playing on the sound system.
    “The solo comes on, and I hear these kids in front of me going, ‘Listen to this guy trying to sound like Eddie Van Halen,’” he said. “I tapped him on the shoulder and said, ‘That IS me!’ That was hilarious.”
  • 10-13-2020
    ROAD&DIRT
    I saw VH in concert back the late 80's one of the best performers I ever seen to date... played with style never seen at that time and always looked like he was having fun doing it.

RIP Sir Edward Van Halen!
  • 10-13-2020
    Peter P.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    .. always looked like he was having fun doing it.

That is so true, and I think that is part of what made him great; you could HEAR the passion and see the joy as he ripped off a solo.

I saw the band twice; in around 1984, and just after their last album, A Different Kind of Truth.

Just amazing guitar, from a guy that couldn't read a note of music.