Eddie Van Halen shreds...only it's real.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fini les ecrase-"manets"!

Eddie Van Halen shreds...only it's real.

Hope this hasn't been poasted already:

Eddie is fantastically out of tune. It's been blamed on their recorded backing keyboard track being played at 48K instead of 44.1K, and it does sound a little high, but WTF? you can't tell if the bass is off, and Dave's more shouting than singing so it's hard to tell if he's off--he gets better as it goes on. But Eddie's completely out of whack from start to finish for sure. Is their in-ear monitor feed not coming from the same player as the house sound? Could Ed not hear himself and the keyboard track together? He doesn't act like he can tell anything's wrong.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Opus was just napping
    When Eddie "jumps" (all of 6 inches off the ground) you can just hear his doctor yell! THE HIP!!!

The song really sounds off...and the band looks...well...spent.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Kinda got reminded of this
    Blows your hair back.

May 2007
    that was painfull to watch.
    07 Roubaix Pro, Dura-Ace pedals, Garmin 305, S-Works shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    WOW!! And people paid money to see that??

donuts?
    bass is off as well - it wasn't that horrible - i'm sure it could have gone much worse. it also sounds like the guy running the mix had the levels all f'd up. it's hard to mix live and it's real easy to push a mix. if i was there, i might have a different take on the matter.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron
    bass is off as well - it wasn't that horrible - i'm sure it could have gone much worse. it also sounds like the guy running the mix had the levels all f'd up. it's hard to mix live and it's real easy to push a mix. if i was there, i might have a different take on the matter.
    It's easy to imaging that a smuggled camcorder wouldn't provide good fidelity, so I wasn't surprised that the mix sucked. What amazed me was that nobody seemed to notice at all. Isn't Eddie supposed to be temperamental? Wouldn't he have thrown some kind of fit? Punched Dave? Something?

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    They shoulda just hired a keyboard player.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboy389
    Hope this hasn't been poasted already:

Eddie is fantastically out of tune. It's been blamed on their recorded backing keyboard track being played at 48K instead of 44.1K, and it does sound a little high, but WTF? you can't tell if the bass is off, and Dave's more shouting than singing so it's hard to tell if he's off--he gets better as it goes on. But Eddie's completely out of whack from start to finish for sure. Is their in-ear monitor feed not coming from the same player as the house sound? Could Ed not hear himself and the keyboard track together? He doesn't act like he can tell anything's wrong.
    He was probably drunk. He's playing in a totally different key. I wonder if the guitar tech messed up and handed him an alternate tuned guitar?

The original is down a bit from that though...he may have a point about the backing track:

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    He was probably drunk. He's playing in a totally different key. I wonder if the guitar tech messed up and handed him an alternate tuned guitar?

The original is down a bit from that though...he may have a point about the backing track:
    it may be a combo of both. the backing track does seem high, but when it drops out for his solo, he still sounds amazingly tone deaf. And I saw a thread yesterday on a guitar forum where some guy's friend has been asked to be EVH's new uitar tech because of problems he's been having with his cuirrent one. I'll see if I can track it down.
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

Alien Musician
    The synthesizer track is played at the wrong sampling rate, it's on a DAT tape
    and it's at 48 khz instead of 44.1. You can hear it's just a little too quick and
    goofily high-up in pitch but not so high that the band thought it might have been
    the arena they were in.

I'm guessing the soundguy was pretty fired after that.

Back from the dead
    One of two things should have happened.

1. The band should have recognized they were off key and stopped. Just like there is no shame in a chef refusing to serve bad food, there's no shame in a band stopping the music when it sounds bad. They must have had some clue if was off, because they were all hitting the marks. Just stop, apologize to the crowd for the F-up, and start over. It's not that big a deal. A frontman like Roth should be an expert at turning accidents like this into great memories for everyone there.

2. The sound guy should have pulled the plug. Literally. Pretend it is a technical glitch. The band won't be too happy, but so what? It's better to stop them and correct the problem than it is to let them sound so embarrassingly bad! Jeeze, back in the day, when these guys were playing backyards in Pasadena, I'm sure more than once, someone tripped over the extension cord and they lost all the juice. Somehow they got through it! They are supposed to be a party band!!

Shirtcocker
    I think it's the guitar being in the wrong tune...lissen to this from the same concert...still flat--Poor Eddie...he sounds like he just learned to play guitar. This really sucks. I also think he was really, really, drunk--his timing is way off.

Thread on the speculation:

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/gene...t-reviews.html

Last edited by Bocephus Jones II; 10-23-2007 at 02:31 PM.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

I think it's the guitar being in the wrong tune...lissen to this from the same concert...still flat--Poor Eddie...he sounds like he just learned to play guitar. This really sucks. I also think he was really, really, drunk--his timing is way off.
    That's the worst Van Halen cover band I've ever seen. Drummer's OK, but the rest of them suck.

Srsly--I have heard MUCH better playing in cover bands. I can't believe how bad Eddie's playing is, and the bass player (his son, right?) also played some major clinkers. Dave's just Dave. Take it or leave it. But that's some sh*tty guitar playing.

/not at all regretting my decision to stick with my "Nah, I saw them in '84" position vis-a-vis this tour.

//I don't think Ed's flat across the board, but he's definitely got tuning issues.

Quote Originally Posted by il sogno
    They shoulda just hired a keyboard player.
    I hear that. I said the same thing to our company prez who forwarded me the link.

Of course, I'm still stunned that nobody on stage (Eddie most of all) can tell there's a problem.

Shirtcocker

Of course, I'm still stunned that nobody on stage (Eddie most of all) can tell there's a problem.
    if he was sh*tfaced drunk that might account for some of it.

Dude: that thread is from 2004. There are references to Sammy and Michael Anthony, for crap sake.

You suck at the intarwebs. Get with the program--it's not a dumptruck, it's a series of tubes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Terrible - I would like to think the guitar tech gave him the wrong guitar - but they don't use that many tunings......

Shirtcocker
    Dude: that thread is from 2004. There are references to Sammy and Michael Anthony, for crap sake.

You suck at the intarwebs. Get with the program--it's not a dumptruck, it's a series of tubes.
    LOL...didn't notice that. I guess he was sucking even back then.

Not Banned

which is why

I would never go see them now. I have really good memories of VH including their FIRST Tour. ain't gonna ruin those fond memories of when the ruled
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Holy crap! I knew it was going to be a trainwreck but... oh my.

DLR actually sounds a LOT better than I expected though.

supervillain

I'm not like anyone else
    LOL...didn't notice that. I guess he was sucking even back then.
    Man... he's sucked for a long time... was great once but his brain and his group got way outa sinc. In the OP, he has multiple intonation issues on his guitar as do the rest with the rest. What did they hear on the monitors? Sound guy was doing what? Did they care or were they too stoked on "something" to realy know what they were doing? That was one of the worst performs I've ever heard but it's right up there with some of his others...

When he was golden though... he was golden!

Too bad he isn't anymore... sigh!

EDB
    I love my coonhound!

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaybike
    Man... he's sucked for a long time... was great once but his brain and his group got way outa sinc. In the OP, he has multiple intonation issues on his guitar as do the rest with the rest. What did they hear on the monitors? Sound guy was doing what? Did they care or were they too stoked on "something" to realy know what they were doing? That was one of the worst performs I've ever heard but it's right up there with some of his others...

When he was golden though... he was golden!

Too bad he isn't anymore... sigh!

EDB

Sometimes it's better to just die in a plane crash at the top of your game.

supervillain

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    By far the worst I have ever heard. Even worse then when I walked out of a Zeppelin concert in San Diego in about 70. Jimmy Page was f'd up but was still a 1000 times better than this "performance". What is really amazing is there are still thousands cheering after the fact.
    I'll take drilling at a dentists office or listening to Kenny G. before this any time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast