Electric vehicle owners?
    Russian Troll Farmer

Electric vehicle owners?

My current car is about 10 years old, and has almost 140,000 miles on it (the first 100,000 by the original owner), and I've been considering possibly either buying or leasing a Chevy Bolt. I's just about the right size and layout for me I guess (I'm 6'3" tall, but prefer small cars), and currently my commute is only about 5 miles each way. I could probably get away with only using the 110v charger (avoiding having to buy and install a 240v 'level 2' charger), and if I plug it in all night, every night, will probably have enough charge for longer weekend drives, as well.

What worries me is on-the-road charging 'level 3' charge stations. I live in upstate NY, so we have a few around, but most are Tesla stations, which I understand are not compatible with non-Tesla outlets (although the Tesla level 2 outlets are, with an adapter). I would assume that with a 200 mile range, you would need to charge about every 150 miles, for about 90 minutes? But, how often are those places unoccupied or not broken? How much does this cost? There are a lot of unknowns.

I like the idea of a car interior that can also be warming up while plugged in, and I understand that you can time your heater/ AC to come on before you leave work, so that makes it seem more usable as a commuter. We also have a gas car, so for LONG trips, the electric wouldn't be an option, but if I move in the next few years to NM, a 2000+ mile trip will be involved.

So, who here has an electric, and what are your experiences? What should I consider?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

δanned
    Yes, you can charge a non-Tesla at a Tesla station, but it comes with limitations: https://insideevs.com/charging-a-bol...-sure-you-can/
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gûl-n’ anakhizak.

Banned forever.....or not
    The Chevy Volt is being cancelled....Is the Bolt next?.....PS. What is the warranty on the battery?
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    (I'm 6'3" tall, but prefer small cars)
    I have never met a man who doesn't like cramming himself into something small, tight and compact.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    The Chevy Volt is being cancelled....Is the Bolt next?.....PS. What is the warranty on the battery?
    And the Volt is a hybrid not an EV.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    The referenced article was for destination chargers not the see everywhere super chargers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...kona-electric/

If you can find one the hyundai is rated the winner by car and driver. Also according to the article the federal tax credit is cut in half after April 1st for the Bolt.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Do your homework. https://chargehub.com/en/electric-ca...ing-guide.html

Next think about the Toyota Hybrid. Full sized and 53 mpg. https://www.toyota.com/avalonhybrid/
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    Yes, you can charge a non-Tesla at a Tesla station, but it comes with limitations: https://insideevs.com/charging-a-bol...-sure-you-can/
    Yes, they are usable only on "level 2" chargers, meaning that a full battery charge takes 7+ hours, compared to only 90 minutes at a "level 3" charger. This would make on-trip recharging impossible, limiting you to at best maybe 400 miles in a split-shift day. Next?

Quote Originally Posted by mmbuckwa View Post
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...kona-electric/

If you can find one the hyundai is rated the winner by car and driver. Also according to the article the federal tax credit is cut in half after April 1st for the Bolt.
    Sounds good, except they are only available in California. Next?

Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Do your homework.https://chargehub.com/en/electric-ca...ing-guide.html

Next think about the Toyota Hybrid. Full sized and 53 mpg. https://www.toyota.com/avalonhybrid/
    Too big, too expensive, not plug-in, still uses gas, which means zero tax advantages. Any more?

Sweet Potato Kugel

Too big, too expensive, not plug-in, still uses gas, which means zero tax advantages. Any more?
    Oh, you want 100% EV. Got it. I think you're on to something concerning the Volt. With such a small commute each day, it almost seems unless to drive a gasoline vehicle. In 3 miles it would never warm up.

How about a used Tesla? https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...#resultsPage=1

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Oh, you want 100% EV. Got it. I think you're on to something concerning the Volt. With such a small commute each day, it almost seems unless to drive a gasoline vehicle. In 3 miles it would never warm up.

How about a used Tesla? https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...#resultsPage=1
    Chevt BOLT, not VOLT.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Chevt BOLT, not VOLT.
    Got it, Chevrolet болт.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Matnlely Dregaend
    I got a Tesla Model 3 Performance in 2018 before the tax credit was reduced. I test drove other electrics, including the Chevy Bolt, and the Tesla was so much better than anything else available there really was no choice to make. The Bolt is narrow and has no trunk, and torque steers badly under acceleration. It felt like a golf cart while the P3D feels like a rocketship

I only made the jump to electric because I installed 13KW of solar on my roof (NJ incentives were great, after the federal tax credit the system is essentially free). Unless you can charge for free (there are public places where you can, including some workplaces) it doesn't make sense without solar.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Russian Troll Farmer
    Yeah, after pricing both the vehicle as well as the cost of 'foreign' electricity, it seems like a lot of money to pay for uncertainty in finding decent charging. Tesla seems to have fewer worries due to the Tesla charging network, but Teslas are more expensive, and Consumer Reports has declared their reliability to be rather awful.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    If your commute is 5 miles each way and want to dip your toe into the EV waters, try a plug in hybrid like a plug in Prius. The battery range is 10-12 miles and then the regular gas hybrid takes over. That’s what got me hooked on driving electric. My commute was 9 miles round trip. Only thing that drove me crazy was the heat and a/c run of the gas engine so when you use those, the engine fires up.

I’ve had a Tesla for 6 years and loved every minute. It was a challenge to do road trips when I first got it because there weren’t any Superchargers anywhere so I had to really plan out our trips, but now I find myself skipping past available ones on road trips. The one thing to think about as all the other manufacturers come out with EV’s is to look at charger networks. The high capacity charging standard for -everything but Tesla- is Chademo (spelling?) and it is not uniformly distributed. Tesla has invested heavily in building out the charger network, one of the reasons they have struggled to be profitable, but if you buy a Tesla you will instantly be able to road trip just about anywhere.

I was at the Supercharger in Richmond VA today and at some point in the past year, they more than doubled its size, used to be 6 chargers, now 3 rows, I guess 15 or 16. There were about 5 charging today. Most I’ve ever seen at once.

Get the PlugShare app or go to their website and you’ll get a sense of what kind of chargers are around the places you travel to.

BTW one big reason I got the Tesla over a Volt or Leaf, etc. a) I could drive to the next town in it. b) I can fit a bike, actually 2, in the back.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Interesting thread timing. Tesla announced just TODAY that they're now taking orders for the long-awaited 'cheap' trim level of the Model 3.

Which is still $35K before tax incentives, but is still the cheapest Tesla ever offered. The 'usual suspect' German near-luxury automakers are collectively crapping their pants.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Seat's not level
    Local BMW dealer is offering 14 days a year of one of their service loaner cars if you buy one of their electric cars. Specifically for doing longer road trips where a full electric would be a PITA...

I have a friend with a Nissan leaf. They live in boulder and rarely venture outside of Boulder. They absolutely love it. With the seats down they can fit two bikes in the trunk, but recently put a bike rack on the back. I've driven it, it's pretty zippy... and zappy...
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    If your commute is only 5 miles each way, it might not make sense from a purely financial aspect to go with an electric vehicle, depending on what you are comparing the EV to. https://www.fleetcarma.com/miles-rec...-electric-car/
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    What are you? Old and set in your ways?

The Volt and Bolt share absolutely nothing. The outgoing platform you named is something like ten years old and the Bolt is a new car. One which I wagure is multiples more reliable long term than the hastily put together Tesla. There are numerous Bolt owners at 60-80K reporting only reasonable battery degradation.

And lastly, have you seen the maintenance schedule on these cars?
    Electric vehicle owners?-5000-miles-bolt-chevy-bolt-1024x329.png
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a buddy who works for these blokes. As a truck guy I have to admit that I am very interested.

https://youtu.be/QMfxJEfb4lw

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    I have a buddy who works for these blokes. As a truck guy I have to admit that I am very interested.

https://youtu.be/QMfxJEfb4lw

I would buy that in a heart beat.

Rivian R1T Specifications:
    ▪ Length/width/height/wheelbase – 5,475/2,015/1,815/3,450 mm
    ▪ Ground clearance Kneel/Aero/Curb/Off-road mode – 200/240/280/360 mm
    ▪ Approach/breakover/departure angle – 34/26/30 degrees
    ▪ Curb weight / Payload – 2,670 / 800 kg ▪ Engine – 4-motor electric AWD ▪ Max output – 147 kW (200 hp) per wheel
    ▪ Battery capacity – 105/135/180 kWh
    ▪ Vehicle max output in kW (hp) 105/135/180 kWh battery – 300 (408) / 562 (764) / 522 (710)
    ▪ Vehicle max torque with 105/135/180 kWh battery – 560 / 1,120 / 1,120 Nm
    ▪ 0-60 mph (0-97 km/h) with 105/135/180 kWh battery – 4.9/3.0/3.2 seconds
    ▪ 0-100 mph (0-161 km/h) with 105/135/180 kWh battery – 12.5/7.0(est.)/8.0(est.) seconds
    ▪ Top speed – 125 mph (201 km/h)
    Driving range with 105/135/180 kWh battery – More than 230/300/400 miles (370/483/644 km)