Environment vs. Hygiene

Jun 2004

Environment vs. Hygiene

OK, a few months ago I went to a very famous town with a velodrome in PA and out group (13-14 of us) crashed at this house where a bunch of vegan straight-edge punk rockers lived. Yeah, it wasn't the Westin, but it was free. The first bad thing happened when this girl cracked a brew and their cat licked it, and then al the housemates yelled to the guy who owned the cat, "Dude, you cat just broke it's EDGE!" which meant that since the cat drank some beer (licked it, actually) it broke with the rest of the freaks that lived there. That was strike one (BTW, the cat was vegan too). Then they had this roommate meeting right afterwards where they said we had to go and drink in the van outside. All right, if it were a Muslim family's house, I would do the same thing...or not drink at all. But considering the amount of functional alkies I was in company with, to the van it was.

After a night of drinking and bar hopping we got back to the house and they told us about their bathroom policy. To conserve water, they used a "greywater" system-- the drainpipe from the sink was disconnected, and the water from that (toothbrush water, handwashing H2O, etc.) went into the toilet tank, where you couldn't flush the toilet unless you crapped in it. So, after about 15 people peed in it, and a couple hours passed, it stank worse than a port-o-potty. To the point where you had to hold your breath when you had to take a leak. I mean, this is sooo gross. I recycle, I reuse, I even get rid of my automobile oil in a designated location. But this was sick. BTW, they had a car (Volvo) that ran on fryer grease.

What would you do if you had to stay there? I respected their rules, but it was simply disgusting.

My back hurts
    I'd find the cheapest hotel within walking distance to a flea-bag bar and sit around drinking with my buddies, laughing about the freaks who we escaped.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agree with MM on the analysis... moral of the story is don't crash at weird folks' homes.

and tangentially, in PA, is water in short supply? I can see flushing conservatively in Yemen, but come on, there's huge rivers in PA. Is it really "better" for the environment to have a single flush of toxic death or a series of less potent ones?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    My god, that is hilarious... this stuff still goes on? Back in the 80s I was in a band that practiced in the basement of a punk crash pad- and similar antics occurred. Odd thing was, the place was never locked, and all sorts of people were in and out, but none of our gear was ever bothered.

I don't think is is really healthy or even possible for a cat to be vegan, by the way.

Jun 2004
    Yeah, Yemen, for real. It made the whole house smell like beans and butt, which was not always independent of each other. Next time I'm going to bring a beer tent and camp out in it next to the 'drome.