Environmentally Expiration Alternatives
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

Environmentally Expiration Alternatives

I was thinking of returning to the sea, is it environmentally acceptable to be thrown overboard? I'm thinking like way out at sea.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I was thinking of returning to the sea, is it environmentally acceptable to be thrown overboard? I'm thinking like way out at sea.
    Why wouldn't it be? You would need to skip the embalming.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Does your body have environmentally damaging contents that the 3,500,000,000,000 fish in the ocean don't have?

Yes you can be buried at sea:
    https://www.epa.gov/ocean-dumping/burial-sea
    The EPA has issued a general permit under the Marine Protection, Research and Sanctuaries Act (MPRSA) to authorize the burial of human remains at sea. The general permit is published in the federal regulations at 40 CFR 229.1.

Instructions for burial at sea
    Preparation for burial at sea
    Human remains shall be prepared for burial at sea and buried in accordance with accepted practices and requirements as may be deemed appropriate and desirable by the United States Navy, United States Coast Guard or civil authority charged with the responsibility for making such arrangements. In addition, state and/or local requirements may apply to the transportation of human remains on land, for example, to locations other than cemeteries.

Disposal location and measures
    Non-cremated remains
    The MPRSA general permit authorizes burial at sea of non-cremated human remains at locations at least three nautical miles from land and in ocean waters at least 600 feet deep.

Notice to EPA within 30 days
    You must notify EPA of the burial at sea within 30 days following the event. All burials at sea conducted under the MPRSA general permit must be reported to the EPA Region from which the vessel carrying the remains departed.

A burial at sea of non-cremated and cremated human remains may be reported to EPA using the Burial at Sea Reporting Tool. The Burial at Sea Reporting Tool enables individuals or companies that have conducted a burial at sea to enter information into a simple online form and report the burial directly to EPA. For information about the Burial at Sea Reporting Tool including instructions for reporting, please see the Burial at Sea Reporting Tool Fact Sheet. Please note that you do not need to submit documentation, such as a Certificate of Death, to EPA when reporting a burial at sea.

To report a burial of human remains by other means, please contact the EPA Region where the vessel carrying the remains departed. To identify the appropriate EPA Regional contact, please see EPA's Regional Offices Contact List.

Is an application (or other paperwork) required for the permit prior to a burial at sea?
    No. The MPRSA general permit for burial at sea does not require an application or prior notice to EPA. The permit does, however, require EPA notification within 30 days of the burial.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Proud luddite
    People get thrown overboard all the time, no problem at all. Thatís why my wife refuses to go on a cruise with me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    People get thrown overboard all the time, no problem at all. Thatís why my wife refuses to go on a cruise with me.
    The hassle of filling out all the paperwork with the EPA is probably the only thing keeping you alive

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    The hassle of filling out all the paperwork with the EPA is probably the only thing keeping you alive
    No paper required. You can do it online. You could do it from your cell phone during the 3mi boat trip back from dumping the body!

https://burialatsea.epa.gov/Form
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    No paper required. You can do it online. You could do it from your cell phone during the 3mi boat trip back from dumping the body!

https://burialatsea.epa.gov/Form
    Good to know. I have been thinking about taking our an insurance policy on my wife. Hmmmmm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the info, as you know some here think I'm stupid. I'm smart! I'm smart like my brother, I'm not dumb like he say's!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the info, as you know some here think I'm stupid. I'm smart! I'm smart like my brother, I'm not dumb like he say's!
    I think you want Lake Tahoe not the sea, Fredo.

Banned forever.....or not
    Concrete overshoes?
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Make sure it's not on a windy day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I'm not thinking of asshes. Concrete shoes would be good, not really wanting to float around and end up on the shore.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'm not thinking of asshes. Concrete shoes would be good, not really wanting to float around and end up on the shore.
    Have your body dropped in a shark-infested area

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sharks aren't good decomposes. They just take a chunk and move on.

the carcass was colonized within minutes by small arthropods called amphipods, or 'sea lice'. These rapidly became several centimetres thick on the body and entered the carcass via the orifices, eating it from the inside out. The amphipods became so numerous that they covered the entire cage and bars and competitively excluded all other arthropods such as the big Three Spot Shrimp. In just a few days, the carcass was entirely skeletonized and the amphipods lost interest and left. Then the Three Spot Shrimp returned to pick at the carcass, eventually removing all the cartilage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    A tree seems better. I think I'll be a creepy one though.
    BANNED

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    lol......................
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."