EV/PHEV owners: Are you satisfied, your expectations met or exceeded?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

EV/PHEV owners: Are you satisfied, your expectations met or exceeded?

Well, gas is at a 6-yr all-time low and probably not what you wanted to see if you are driving around in an Electric Vehicle (EV) or Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV). In spite of that, are you owners happy with the outcome and have adjusted with the somewhat limited range/charging stations availability? What would you reconsider if you had to do it all over again?

Skeptics welcomed as well. Thanks ahead for your feedback.
    Last edited by config; 12-12-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Seat's not level
    I have a 2003 civic hybrid. not a plug in, but with 188,000 miles on it and a pass for the HOV lane, I'm quite happy with it. Hopefully another 100K miles before it dies.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    My cousin and her husband have a Nissan Leaf.

Saw them over Thanksgiving, they both say they'd never part with it.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Matnlely Dregaend
    For a slightly different perspective: I would not buy my TDI again. Not because of the scandal, but because when I bought it 12 years ago, the attraction was that diesel was cheaper than gasoline. That hasn't been the case for at least 7 o 8 years now, partly due to improvements in oil distillation and processing leading to less diesel production per barrel based on demand, partly due to increased demand abroad, and partly due to US taxation. Despite it being a frugal vehicle, the TDI vehicle price difference (diesel vs gasoline versions) is hard to justify given the current premium for diesel. Would I buy a hybrid or electric vehicle? Only if it made financial sense, which right now it clearly does not. Toyota seems to agree, lowering Prius sales expectations despite just introducing a new model. The vehicle cost premium is even higher for a hybrid or electric vehicle than a diesel. I do consider environmental impact in purchasing, but based on what I've read that's essentially a wash between the vehicles and really only incentivizes buying used. So what new car would I buy right now? It would have to have a manual transmission, so maybe a Ford Focus or a Mazda 3. What vehicle will I buy? Well, lets just say that I'm looking for a deal on yet another timing belt kit for my TDI...
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    You probably read my posts in the recent Tesla thread but yes, very happy with my choice over 2.5 years later. Within a few months I got very comfortable with the range capabilities of the car and I have no problems pushing the car down pretty low on its range. The smug factor is higher when gas prices are high, but the cost of gas wasn't a big point for me, I just don't want to use gas.

The BEV's with the range extender gas engines like the Volt make a lot of sense as with a 40 mile range battery you can do the bulk of your driving without gasoline. My wife drives a Plug in Prius which has been pretty good, but we're planning on replacing it with the lower cost Tesla when it comes out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm enjoying gas in the low $1.60's/gallon right now but hold on to your EV's and Geo Metros because you know prices aren't staying this low forever.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    It appears this CA couple are pretty happy...
    Yorba Linda Vacationers First To Go Coast To Coast Mostly by Autosteer

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    My cousin and her husband have a Nissan Leaf.

Saw them over Thanksgiving, they both say they'd never part with it.
    Have a couple friends in Boulder that recently bought Leafs. Both really enjoy them. I drove one and they are quite fast. Nice for an around town second car.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

Ricardo Cabeza
    The cheap gas is awesome with my new truck,

But, it has a logo with a leaf on it, and it has "eco" in the name, so it's the same as an electric car or a hybrid

Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    The cheap gas is awesome with my new truck,

But, it has a logo with a leaf on it, and it has "eco" in the name, so it's the same as an electric car or a hybrid

I appreciate the feedback. Direct Injection (DI) technology and turbocharging on these new Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles (like yours) is certainly narrowing the advantage of EV and PHEV especially when you consider the premium you pay for an EV (even after the energy tax credit).

It wasn't long ago that you were lucky if a truck got 16 mpg. What kind of gas mileage do you get on yours?

I'm using this info to help me make a decision whether an EV or PHEV is cost beneficial for us.
    Last edited by config; 12-14-2015 at 08:31 AM.

Roll Out Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    You probably read my posts in the recent Tesla thread but yes, very happy with my choice over 2.5 years later. Within a few months I got very comfortable with the range capabilities of the car and I have no problems pushing the car down pretty low on its range. The smug factor is higher when gas prices are high, but the cost of gas wasn't a big point for me, I just don't want to use gas.

The BEV's with the range extender gas engines like the Volt make a lot of sense as with a 40 mile range battery you can do the bulk of your driving without gasoline. My wife drives a Plug in Prius which has been pretty good, but we're planning on replacing it with the lower cost Tesla when it comes out.
    My Model S is #19862, how about yours? I bet you are even lower than that....I'll never own a different car....
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
    "Don't believe everything you think"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Ecoboost, saving the planet one truck at a time.

I have not seen any recent math but I would expect it would take a long to to break even (relative to gas savings) on an EV

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by config View Post
    I appreciate the feedback. Direct Injection (DI) technology and turbocharging on these new Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles (like yours) is certainly narrowing the advantage of EV and PHEV especially when you consider the premium you pay for an EV (even after the energy tax credit).

It wasn't long ago that you were lucky if a truck got 16 mpg. What kind of gas mileage do you get on yours?

I'm using this info to help me make a decision whether an EV or PHEV is cost beneficial for us.
    It varies from 20 to 30 on the highway. If I get real gas, stay off the throttle and don't use the cruise control it's 26-28, and if I draft behind a semi it's 30+.

With corn gas, a lot less. Cruise control ruins the mileage. But if I seek out corn free gas, on long trips I can average 26 easy. That's better than the old Grand Caravan.

In town though, it gets 17. Just can't get around the physics of moving a 5500 lb vehicle with that one.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
    My Model S is #19862, how about yours? I bet you are even lower than that....I'll never own a different car....
    5990 - reserved 11/2012, delivered 3/2013. Only different I will own is maybe a newer AWD in the next few years!

banned
    Jul 2013
    I really want an electric car but unfortunately I am but a thousandaire, and live in rural coastal mountainous CA where rocks and crap are all over the road. I wish there was a good electric or hybrid AWD (unlike the Subaru that gets one more mpg if you buy it with a battery).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I have not seen any recent math but I would expect it would take a long to to break even (relative to gas savings) on an EV
    Was wondering though if there is such a thing as a break-even point on a gas engine vehicle?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by config View Post
    Was wondering though if there is such a thing as a break-even point on a gas engine vehicle?
    Of course not. I meant the break even point where the additional cost of the electric vehicle equals the cost of the gas that would have been used by a gas vehicle. That is not to say there aren't other reasons to buy an EV. I just doubt cost savings is one of them right now

Seat's not level

Banned forever.....or not
    Gas will jump to $6.00 a gallon once OPEC destroys oil sand production, but even then, I won't care. Since I retired, I only average less than 200 miles a month. I can live with getting 20-21 mpg.
    For years and years, I drove little econo sh!t boxes. Never again.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Gas will jump to $6.00 a gallon once OPEC destroys oil sand production, but even then, I won't care. Since I retired, I only average less than 200 miles a month. I can live with getting 20-21 mpg.
    For years and years, I drove little econo sh!t boxes. Never again.
    My understanding is that its OPEC that is driving down prices right now by insisting on keeping production high. The current prices are certainly going to be an impediment to hybrid and EV sales in the near term.

Banned forever.....or not
    The purpose for high production and low prices is to kill off work on oil sands. Once oil sands production kicks in, OPEC is doomed.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

banned
    Jul 2013
    Well, there will still be those of us who don't want to subsidize the Saudis (the people who attacked us on Sept 11th), and their current proxy armies (Hamas and ISIS).

Ricardo Cabeza
    The purpose for high production and low prices is to kill off work on oil sands. Once oil sands production kicks in, OPEC is doomed.
    And shale.

However, those resources will still be there.

I say, bleed the middle east dry, and let them go back to herding camels in the desert.

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    2006 and 2007 ( dad ) Prius.

280.000 kms on mine and not a single issue,dad has 130.000 km on his one and same story. Mine has a bit beaten body,my dad's one just had it's body hoverhauled but he just beat the **** out of his cars,always had,so the interiors are pretty worn. These cars just keeps on ticking,mainteinance is cheap,realiability is fantastic,boot space is fine for my bikes too,no need to look at any other brand in the future.
    Hybrid battery still works great,but I can tell mine tends to lose charge a bit more easily compared to my dad's one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Think I heard the word is the Saudis, Dubai and a few other OPEC counties will be DRY in 5-7 years.

Wife has a Prius V and wants a Tesla next . She said never going back to full time fuel car. Me some day, when I get the car I WANT in electric or hybrid. For now I will love my 14MPG Wrangler.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin