first ride with my new eyes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Frog Whisperer

first ride with my new eyes

cataract surgery was an incredible success, distance vision is 20/15, I need reading glasses FAR less than I did with contacts. Doc said I could ride this weekend, so I did, he said start with 25 miles, so I did. Fact is I could have ridden all day (of course then my wife would have killed me for not listening to the doc)
    It helped that the surgeon is a cyclist too. He warned my wife about me most likely getting pretty squirrelly being unable to ride for that long.
    OMG. OMG, OMG...........that felt SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Master debator.
    That's pretty awesome TOG. I actually have similar far vision, but I need readers a lot more after LASIK Ugh.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I'm glad to hear it!

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    That's pretty awesome TOG. I actually have similar far vision, but I need readers a lot more after LASIK Ugh.
    My daughter (Dr Jenny) explained the bio-mechanics to me, presbyopia is caused primarily by the lens itself losing the elasticity to change shapes to re-focus on near objects. The replacement lens is elastic , and since it is encased in a "capsule" (or 1/2 the capsule after the replacement) the muscles around the capsule are in charge, so so speak of changing the shape of the lens. So i am capable of focusing on closer objects now. After riding 25 miles, the two oldest grand daughters are over and they wanted to ride in the Burley, it's about all I can do to stuff both into it now. Rode another few,mostly up hill with 100 pounds hanging on the back of the mountain bike.. They had a great time! So did I.

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    My daughter (Dr Jenny) explained the bio-mechanics to me, presbyopia is caused primarily by the lens itself losing the elasticity to change shapes to re-focus on near objects. The replacement lens is elastic , and since it is encased in a "capsule" (or 1/2 the capsule after the replacement) the muscles around the capsule are in charge, so so speak of changing the shape of the lens. So i am capable of focusing on closer objects now. After riding 25 miles, the two oldest grand daughters are over and they wanted to ride in the Burley, it's about all I can do to stuff both into it now. Rode another few,mostly up hill with 100 pounds hanging on the back of the mountain bike.. They had a great time! So did I.
    Glad it went well and you got to hang with the grand-units.

I'm getting annoyed now with my close vision--I worked on a few watches last weekend changing batteries etc (nothing to a Real Jeweler), but I could not believe how bad my close vision is getting. Gotta get the geezer magnifier!
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm glad your surgery went well. I see an ophthalmologist every six months and am patiently (no pun) waiting for my cataracts to get bad enough for the doctor to tend to them and some other issues.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Glad it went well and you got to hang with the grand-units.

I'm getting annoyed now with my close vision--I worked on a few watches last weekend changing batteries etc (nothing to a Real Jeweler), but I could not believe how bad my close vision is getting. Gotta get the geezer magnifier!
    Pare, for real close up work I use a set of Keeler Surgical loupes, 3x with 3 x add ons. Absolutely accurate, both color and detail. However, they will set you back close to 2k (maybe more now, had mine for 10 years)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    That's great! Glad you can see (and ride) so well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Glad you're back in commission! I need glasses to read at night now, made it this long without really needing them so I shouldn't grumble.

Seat's not level
    I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
    I can see all obstacles in my way
    Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
    It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
    Sun-Shiny day.

I think I can make it now, the pain is gone
    All of the bad feelings have disappeared
    Here is the rainbow I've been prayin' for
    It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
    Sun-Shiny day.

Look all around, there's nothin' but blue skies
    Look straight…
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Glad you're back in commission! I need glasses to read at night now, made it this long without really needing them so I shouldn't grumble.
    My night vision is not as good as I remember it. But then again, nothing is quite as good as I remember it. Either my memory isn't accurate or reality isn't.

Funny, when I first started frequenting this forum, I was fine, see what hanging out here did to me? It made me old!

RoadBikeReview Member
    My night vision is not as good as I remember it. But then again, nothing is quite as good as I remember it. Either my memory isn't accurate or reality isn't.

Funny, when I first started frequenting this forum, I was fine, see what hanging out here did to me? It made me old!
    I've been told that the mind is the 2nd thing to go.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I've been told that the mind is the 2nd thing to go.
    I heard that too, for the life of me I can't remember what was first.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I heard that too, for the life of me I can't remember what was first.
    Damn, I was hoping that you'd be able to help me out with that.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Damn, I was hoping that you'd be able to help me out with that.
    Sorry brother,.... Wait, what were we talking about?

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on topic.
    Last edited by Eretz; 08-26-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Frog Whisperer
    It is about definition and color is key to me. Since I make my living with a torch and hot metal, color is critical because of physics, color = temperature. I am slowly getting used to the color differences but it will take a few weeks I'm sure.

Going to bed at night and waking up in the morning without dealing with corrective lenses off any sort is totally life altering.

Today, I spent a 25 minutes polishing the windows in the my car, inside and out. The dull film was driving me crazy!

Halos and starburst are essentially non existent but high quality sunglasses are critical. I'll be be damned if I am looking through a set of 25 dollar lenses (and I use the term "lenses" rather loosely) after what I just paid for the toric IOL I just had stuffed into the my eyeballs,

I will be glad to finish it the 3 times a day eye drops although, one drop, 3 x/ day isn't so bad.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Though, the medical anesthesia alters elderly patients or accentuates certain hidden stuff, which in his case did, and he was never the same after the second eye correction at 87 of age.
    Funny, before the second eye, the anesthesiologist warned me, the versed can impair your judgment, I laughed and told the kid (yep, he was just a kid) "Trust, me, that isn't what is responsible"

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Congrats on the successful eye surgery. Unfortunately, one of my eyes is nearsighted to the point where no lens can be made powerful enough to fully correct my vision. Worse, two ophthalmologists have said no to surgery for me. They just don't want to dig around in my bad eye. They say they'd have to get too close to my retina during the procedure for comfort. One of the opthos, though, came up with a brainstorm. He prescribed a soft contact lens for me to wear in addition to my glasses. The contact lens + the eye glass lens does the trick. My two-lensed eye can see like a charm. In other words, you can now call me Five Eyes.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Congrats on the successful eye surgery. Unfortunately, one of my eyes is nearsighted to the point where no lens can be made powerful enough to fully correct my vision. Worse, two ophthalmologists have said no to surgery for me. They just don't want to dig around in my bad eye. They say they'd have to get too close to my retina during the procedure for comfort. One of the opthos, though, came up with a brainstorm. He prescribed a soft contact lens for me to wear in addition to my glasses. The contact lens + the eye glass lens does the trick. My two-lensed eye can see like a charm. In other words, you can now call me Five Eyes.
    Hey whatever it takes my friend, whatever it takes!

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    The contact lens + the eye glass lens does the trick. My two-lensed eye can see like a charm. In other words, you can now call me Five Eyes.
    One word, Orthokeratology.

https://www.orthokacademy.com/what-is-orthokeratology/
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Frog Whisperer
    I just walked down to check my mail, almost a 1/4 mile through the woods, pretty dark out, overcast with drizzle. I can see in the dark again! This is so fricking awesome!

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I just walked down to check my mail, almost a 1/4 mile through the woods, pretty dark out, overcast with drizzle. I can see in the dark again! This is so fricking awesome!
    I love cycling.
    Last edited by Eretz; 08-24-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Frog Whisperer
    Lol, quite the edit, I got the full narrative in my email, Hehehehe. If bow to the master of thread drift!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I love cycling.

Frog Whisperer
    Lol, quite the edit, I got the full narrative in my email, Hehehehe. If bow to the master of thread drift!
    I not if doh! Proof read, then hit send

Yes I'm sure, that doesn't mean I'm right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast