Ford Focus Electric
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    A Story of Love

Ford Focus Electric

2012 Ford Focus Electric | 100% Gasoline Free, All-Electric Driving Experience | Ford.com

Didn't even know about this until today.

Sounds promising... yes, no, maybe so?
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SS: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Tactle-neck
    Maybe...

Not trying to send this to PO, but people forget that when you plug in an electric car, usually, you are burning coal or oil generate the electricty to recharge the battery...
    It's never about technique.

catzilla: Flatulence + Megaphone + Cat on Fire = Dubstep

A Story of Love
    Quote Originally Posted by FeedTheJoe View Post
    Maybe...

Not trying to send this to PO, but people forget that when you plug in an electric car, usually, you are burning coal or oil generate the electricty to recharge the battery...

True dat, but I think they've done studies that show that, even if you're getting your recharge power from fossil-fuel sources, the net result is still less of a carbon footprint than what you'd get from using a gasoline-powered vehicle...

That said, I won't be an all-electric car driver 'til the vehicles are practical/suit my needs.

So, I have to wonder what the range on this thing'll be...
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    ...., but people forget that when you plug in an electric car, usually, you are burning coal or oil generate the electricty to recharge the battery...
    What's the efficiency of power obtained from coal/gas turbine plants + power transmission vs. burning fuel in a typical vehicle?

Call me a Fred
    There doesn't seem to be any details available, just a lot of marketing buzz.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Moderatus Puisne
    1 ) Still a net gain -- and presumably more "grid" power will become sustainable in the coming years.

2 ) PacNW here - hydro power, baby!

Maybe...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would love al all electric small to mid size SUV. Needs to get 300-400 miles on a charge. Charging station that can charge your car in 5-10min needs to be available at a Charging Fill Station.

Until then, I will hold off. Is it possible in the next 5 yrs? How know, but I am not sure.

I say HYDROGEN baby! Cheaply made at home and can be refilled like gas at a service station, with no emissions.

My issue with electric is, what's going to happen when they go mainstream and your Utility company start to GOUGE you on your electric bill. Will the energy per mile be there?
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Call me a Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
    I would love al all electric small to mid size SUV. Needs to get 300-400 miles on a charge. Charging station that can charge your car in 5-10min needs to be available at a Charging Fill Station.
    I don't foresee any battery being charged in 5-10 minutes. What would make sense though is a standardized battery pack that would allow a depleted battery to be swapped for a charged battery at a battery swap station.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

RoadBikeReview Member

not if..

Maybe...

you live in the PNW....or various other places with renewable sources.

A Story of Love
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post

Until then, I will hold off. Is it possible in the next 5 yrs? How know, but I am not sure.
    I want that too. Such a product would absolutely kill in the market. Gasoline isn't going back to $1-2/gallon anytime soon, if ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    I say HYDROGEN baby! Cheaply made at home and can be refilled like gas at a service station, with no emissions.
    I think hydrogen's a bit of a hoax, or at least tremendously overhyped, and is more something that big fossil fuel companies (and their allies) say they're behind, knowing that it's actually pretty impractical and at least 20-30 years off in the future in any case. It's their green 'fig leaf'.

While hydrogen is clean-burning, it has the notorious drawback of being incredibly un-dense. Air, for example, is about thirteen times denser than hydrogen. So storage is a problem.

To store enough hydrogen in a passenger vehicle to have any kind of range, you'd either have to pressurize it as a gas, or liquefy it. To pressurize it as a gas and have enough hydrogen on-board, you'd have to go to tens of thousands of psi (pounds/square inch). Which is a bit scary on a passenger vehicle, especially one that can and does encounter vehicular accidents from time to time.

To liquefy it, you'd have to drop the temp down to 423˚F, which really isn't that far from absolute zero, and would require a heckuva of an insulated tank (i.e. not cheap). And even with that, you'd still have significant boil-off, and the liquid hydrogen would still be only be only about 1/10th the density of gasoline, i.e. you'd need a really big tank.

In either case, you'd need this whole other infrastructure created, nationally. Lots and lots and lots of $$$ needed.

I hear that the system that could work would be something that'd make hydrogen in real-time on-board from water and/or various chemicals, but such machinery is prohibitively expensive at the moment, at least at the kind of production rates that'd be needed (again, what I hear).

Seems like there's much more promising technologies in both the short- and medium-term.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    My issue with electric is, what's going to happen when they go mainstream and your Utility company start to GOUGE you on your electric bill. Will the energy per mile be there?
    It certainly would increase the clout of the power companies.

Before, if you didn't pay your electric bill, your house would be dark. Now your car wouldn't work too. No doubt electricity prices would go up.

This would probably drive more and more ppl to put solar panels on their rooftops. Not just for the green aspect, but for the economics as well.

RoadBikeReview Member

how about..

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post
    I don't foresee any battery being charged in 5-10 minutes. What would make sense though is a standardized battery pack that would allow a depleted battery to be swapped for a charged battery at a battery swap station.
    45-180 minutes?

More than 1,000 electric-vehicle charging stations destined for Oregon's I-5 corridor by next summer | OregonLive.com

not bad for a first generation series...

Seat's not level
    If it runs out of juice, will it run off my iphone? Is there an app for that?
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

Off the back
    I get the sneaking suspicion that petroleum prices are high because of electric vehicles ( and hybrids and alternative-source ones). Oil companies want to get theirs while the gettin's good! Wonder what will happen when demand gets so low the shieks will all be driving Corollas. Oh, wait, by then China will replace us as energy hogs. ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    i like the idea of an electric car, for the vast majority of us 100 miles of range would take care of our needs the majority of the time

an electric car as your household's only car, is probably not a good idea yet, but having one in the family fleet makes sense.

one of the things I like the most, is only one moving part in the "engine", the maintenance requirements on an electric are going to be much less than on a standard car... there's no oil changes...

banned
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius View Post
    1 ) Still a net gain -- and presumably more "grid" power will become sustainable in the coming years.
    Not true if you live in Colorado currently, a Prius puts out less CO2 per mile than a Leaf here, I've done the math. Not that I'm advocating a Prius by any means.

Also, gasoline doesn't emit mercury like coal does.

RoadBikeReview Member

very true..

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
    i like the idea of an electric car, for the vast majority of us 100 miles of range would take care of our needs the majority of the time

an electric car as your household's only car, is probably not a good idea yet, but having one in the family fleet makes sense.

one of the things I like the most, is only one moving part in the "engine", the maintenance requirements on an electric are going to be much less than on a standard car... there's no oil changes...
    like most cars, they are a certain tool to do a certain job.

RoadBikeReview Member

not 100% true..

Quote Originally Posted by gloombuttercookie View Post
    Also, gasoline doesn't emit mercury like coal does.
    actually. gasline emissions do contain some mercury. a relatively small amount.
    http://www.epa.gov/ttn/chief/confere...xics/hoyer.pdf

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Colorado coal electric?
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wouldn't mind one eventually, but so far the Tesla Roadster is the only one with what I consider a minimum practical range. However, until they get at least 200 to 300 miles per charge I won't be interested, since if we were to get one it would be my work car because I do a lot of driving for my job. For certain jobs I do drive around 200 if not more miles in one day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    I wouldn't mind one eventually, but so far the Tesla Roadster is the only one with what I consider a minimum practical range. However, until they get at least 200 to 300 miles per charge I won't be interested, since if we were to get one it would be my work car because I do a lot of driving for my job. For certain jobs I do drive around 200 if not more miles in one day.
    even if that roadster does have the range, you don't want to spend that much time inside one, they're TINY

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    Meh. I'll pass.

Twitterpated

I need to know!

Do the batteries also recharge while we're driving, like regular car batteries do?

What is the $ cost to "fuel" an electric car vs. a gasoline powered vehicle?

Twitterpated
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    ...Gasoline isn't going back to $1-2/gallon anytime soon, if ever again.
    It will for me; I know a guy.

Frog Whisperer
    The deal with batteries is.....there ain't no guarantee......I mean sometimes my "electric stuff" stays charged for weeks, sometimes only a day or less, depending on MANY sets of conditions. So Hypothetically, you are 20 miles from home, you have 100 miles on your 150 mile battery and it goes dead....WHAT DO YOU DO??????

do you have to carry a gas powered generator with you?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    All you energy geniuses know that the end that is desired is that everyone walks... and the uber-rich drive, or make that, are driven. I hope you are among the elite. I'll probably be dead anyway so I aint getting too worked up over electric cars.

In before the move... (PO bound - )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast