Ford Unveils Electric Mustang SUV - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yes, but not remotely to the extent that heaters do. (I believe the battery drop in efficiency is less than or about the same as gas vehicles at cold temps)

And people trying to buy road bikes with rim brakes.

Even then, with an EV in the garage--you can warm the interior up before unplugging and even opening the garage door. And what is really cool is you won't die of carbon-monoxide-poisoning doing it. IOW, in winter have a very comfortable car for your commute-in (at least) without any range loss.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Darling of The Lounge
    I wish Ford had not slapped the Mustang moniker on an EV. It seems it was just purely for PR purposes. I think it would have made more sense to create a subdivision of Ford that focused on electric vehicles.

Moreover, it would make it easier for the Blue Oval to sell it off to Tesla, when Elon takes over the world

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever seen being called a Mustang.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I wish Ford had not slapped the Mustang moniker on an EV. It seems it was just purely for PR purposes.
    PR all the way, especially after 2020 Mustang Cobra they just released.
    I think it would have made more sense to create a subdivision of Ford that focused on electric vehicles.
    It's like movie sequels, the star actor makes reappearance as a lead in and then eventually the new cast takes over.

Master debator.
    I might be ready to buy an EV at some point after 2020. Living in the great white north without any charging infrastructure I'd have to spend $3-4k at least upgrading our home service to install a charger. An EV would handle 90% of my driving requirements. It's the mid-range 120-180 mile one way trips we make that concern me, I'd hate having to plan stops out of my way to charge the vehicle. I'm sure we'll keep an ICE vehicle around for a while yet.

As for this "Mustang" I really hate the large touch screen and I hate touch screens that rise up out of the dash, just too ugly imho. The rest of the styling looks okay, inside and out.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I really hate the large touch screen and I hate touch screens that rise up out of the dash, just too ugly imho.
    I guess you won't be buying one of these

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agree with many of the others, glad Ford is upping their EV presence but putting the Mustang badge on that crossover makes no sense.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    OK Boomers
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Frog Whisperer
    But why a mustang suv? Because it is a Mustang, people will buy it?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    OK Boomers
    LOLZ.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Agree with many of the others, glad Ford is upping their EV presence, but putting the Mustang badge on that crossover makes no sense.
    Maybe it does, though. Look at how much we’re talking about it, just ‘cuz Ford put Mustang in the name (and the styling too, a little bit).

And it might be more than that. While the ‘OK boomers’ comment a few posts above is hilarious, maybe the real target are Gen Xers... guys who may’ve lusted after a Mustang coupe in their youth, but who are now middle-aged with kids, and need an SUV.

So here’s one with the Mustang name, great performance, slightly Mustang-ish styling, and is an EV/green (more so if your local power plant ain’t coal). Plus, many millions in free publicity/mindshare off of the name.

Marketing-wise, I can’t really argue with it overall, even though some folks will not like what Ford did here.

(though I do hate the grill )
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

δanned
    If they wanted an EV Mustang, they should've made it the sport coupe. Slightly better range due to less weight than an SUV, but it could also demolish a quarter mile with that kind of torque and HP.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gûl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No way, no how a Mustang should ever be in the same class as a cross-over SUV. It is a sports car, pure and simple. However, I do like the idea of it being an electric sports car as an alternative choice.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Huh, this is a bit of a kick in the shins... just found out the Mach-E Mustang is going to be built in Mexico.

As in, I think solely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Built by rapists & child eaters.
    BANNED

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Here's an idea: Let's just call all vehicles Mustangs.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Built by rapists & child eaters.
    “Pull it back a little. You’re at a ten. We need you at a seven.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    The bigger issue with batteries and cold weather has less to do with efficiency. Batteries generate heat when they are cycling, so they will warm up, potentially to the point where they need to be cooled. Yes, they have a peak efficiency operating range of temps, but the loss is negligent in the overall picture.

No, the biggest issue is the electrolyte freezing... When this happens, the batteries can become dangerously unstable.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    The bigger issue with batteries and cold weather has less to do with efficiency. Batteries generate heat when they are cycling, so they will warm up, potentially to the point where they need to be cooled. Yes, they have a peak efficiency operating range of temps, but the loss is negligent in the overall picture.

No, the biggest issue is the electrolyte freezing... When this happens, the batteries can become dangerously unstable.
    The electrolyte in most lithium-ion batteries (what most EVs use) doesn’t freeze until about -40 F, i.e. very extreme conditions.

You may possibly be thinking of lead-acid, where, at very low states of charge, the electrolyte can freeze at temperatures as high as 15 or 20 degrees F, aka conditions that you may actually encounter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    The electrolyte in most lithium-ion batteries (what most EVs use) doesn’t freeze until about -40 F, i.e. very extreme conditions.

You may possibly be thinking of lead-acid, where, at very low states of charge, the electrolyte can freeze at temperatures as high as 15 or 20 degrees F, aka conditions that you may actually encounter.
    No, I am thinking of all batteries. Yes the temps vary based on battery technology. Keepin in mind, that there are places where the temp drops that low. 5 years ago in Indianapolis with the wind chill the temps hit -60, last winter in Lincoln Nebraska, there was a week or -20 to -30 with wind chill. (I pick those two spots because I was working there.. and we were told not to leave our hotels.. which begs the question, why did we travel there at all and not just work remote...)

So yes, there is a very real effect in areas that can get cold, or get sporadic blasts of cold. Also, while extremely rare, the electrolyte can separate, resulting in some of the fluids freezing, further reducing the stability.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No, I am thinking of all batteries. Yes the temps vary based on battery technology. Keepin in mind, that there are places where the temp drops that low. 5 years ago in Indianapolis with the wind chill the temps hit -60, last winter in Lincoln Nebraska, there was a week or -20 to -30 with wind chill. (I pick those two spots because I was working there.. and we were told not to leave our hotels.. which begs the question, why did we travel there at all and not just work remote...)

So yes, there is a very real effect in areas that can get cold, or get sporadic blasts of cold. Also, while extremely rare, the electrolyte can separate, resulting in some of the fluids freezing, further reducing the stability.
    By the same token, diesel fuel freezes at those sorts of temperatures as well. Even gasoline will start to gel below -40C/F.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    By the same token, diesel fuel freezes at those sorts of temperatures as well. Even gasoline will start to gel below -40C/F.
    True, but it is a lot easier to warm up fuel and reuse it, frozen batteries should never be reused. The point being, their are lots of reasons batteries suck in the cold, efficiency however is way down on that list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    True, but it is a lot easier to warm up fuel and reuse it, frozen batteries should never be reused. The point being, their are lots of reasons batteries suck in the cold, efficiency however is way down on that list.
    Perhaps, but I've not heard any stories of EV owners in cold climates having their batteries bricked on a cold day. Only complaints you hear are significantly compromised range. I suspect they are mostly either in the garage (protected) or retain enough residual heat from driving and proximity to the ground that they never get cold enough, or simply that temps cold enough to cause this problem don't exist for long enough in the lower 48 or the more populated parts of Canada.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Eh? Efficiency is a much more relevant worry than one’s li-ion battery freezing, for the simple reasons of 1) -40 F is, in fact, a quite rare event, and 2) most EV battery packs these days have a thermal management system, aka a battery heater (and cooler).
    Last edited by SystemShock; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:27 PM. Reason: Typo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Here's an idea: Let's just call all vehicles Mustangs.
    Is that what Ford's doing after they phased out all of their cars, similar to how Dodge spun Ram off into its own thing?
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast