• 02-06-2018
    dir-t
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    IAs for Subaru I won't ever buy one unless I lose my job and can't afford a decent vehicle over $25k. I don't understand the hype, I drove a 2017 as a rental and it was noisy, slow, and the interior seemed dated.

It's simple really. In the case of myself, and the half dozen or so friends with Subarus...

- "Noisy" is relative to whatever you're coming out of and not at all a concern if you're driving dirt roads.

- "Cheap interior" see above. If that helps keeps the cost of the car down to $25k that's just fine.

- Don't need a fast car. No need to speed onto freeway on ramps in rural places and in-town speed limits are easy to attain by anything with an engine.

- Do need something capable of mild-moderate offroad without the mileage/handling penalty of a truck or SUV.

- Could be hype but, among AWD cars, Subies have a reputation for being pretty darn surefooted. I often see them at snowy trailheads where they are the only non-4X4 in the lot.
  • 02-06-2018
    Andy69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I rent a lot of different cars too. Most are horrible. Some of the worst include the Ford Explorer, Jeep Compass, but I also hated the new 4Runner I rented also. All the midsize domestics and Kias were horrible to drive, weird heavy steering feel. But the Ford Mustang was the worst of all. So I usually insist on getting the smallest cars in the fleet.

the best rental car I've had in the past 5 years? A Ford Fiesta. This was in Italy. It was the largest car a person could reasonably use in that country, and it was a HOOT! and came in manual ,as all rentals should, lol. I'd go for a used Fiesta 5sp as a runabout in a heartbeat (my other cars are lumbering v8 powered things)

Kias have the worst bump steer of any car I've driven. Worse than my truck even, and way worse than even the 1st gen MR2
  • 02-06-2018
    ogre
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    ...and came in manual ,as all rentals should

Whaddya trying to do, kill off an industry? Car rentals would become non-existent.
  • 01-06-2019
    Andy69
    Quote:

Three years later, the F150 has almost 80k on it, still runs like new. I just put a new set of tires on it, replacing the Michelins with Continentals. The Michelins were supposed to last past 80k, but had chunks of rubber spalling off due to the sipe design. The only other complaint is it's a pukemobile for anyone sitting in the back, especially on twisty roads. Adding 500lbs to the bed tames this tendency considerably. It was like night and day for the kids. Although when my son and I went up to MN, he sat in the middle in the back and was fine.

The CRV has 15k on it. It's a lease and we're due to turn it in in June. We can't wait. I hate it, Mrs69 hates it, the kids hate it. It's horribly uncomfortable on long trips, has intermittent drivability issues that the dealer can't figure out, and gets much worse mileage than the EPA estimate - only a few points better than my truck on the highway. It's a cheaply built entry level $15k econobox that sells for $25k, a price that people happily pay because they want the name.

We're probably going to get another van, and it might be another Dodge. They aren't the most reliable, but they are the best designed and the most comfortable.

I still have the F150. It's got 85K on it and drives like new. I really like it. I made about 10 trips to Minnesota in the last year with it and I can make the 14 hour trip in one day, only stopping for gas.

The CRV is gone and no one misses it. We turned it in at the end of the lease and walked away. We replaced it with a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica that had 18k on it. Man, it's super nice - smooth, comfortable, plenty of power (although I have words about the gear selector because I can either take D or low, nothing in between and it's a 9 speed), and most important: NO PUKING. We took it on a 5700 mile 3 week vacation to California in June and July last summer.

We looked at imports, but why the hell do I need to pay $35k for exactly the same thing I can get for $23k in the Chrysler? Not a good value, I don't care what you say.

This will be my first experience with an Italian car, so we'll see how it goes :D I mean, it's Italian, has a V6, so it's basically an Alfa Romeo.
  • 01-06-2019
    Eretz
    Quote:

I still have the F150. It's got 85K on it and drives like new. I really like it. I made about 10 trips to Minnesota in the last year with it and I can make the 14 hour trip in one day, only stopping for gas.

Traded my F150 for a 2019. You can't compare a CUV against a pickup truck. No apples to apples in that match up.