Ford's All-Electric Van
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Call me a Fred

Ford's All-Electric Van

I'm glad that Ford seems to have been able to come up with an all-electric vehicle without spending a gazillion dollars on development.

The 80 mile range would be adequate for my driving needs. I do wonder what price Ford will set for the vehicle.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

RoadBikeReview Member
    I looked at one ( gas version) last summer. They look nice and I bet the Transit will be vary useful. I just wish Ford would come out with the diesel here.

Festina Lente'
    Too much $$$ would be my guess...
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

RoadBikeReview Member
    This size and type of vehicle is just right for the city. They are hugely popular in Europe. It is nice to see that Ford is finally offering them back home in the states. We have a very similar little van made by Renault and it is perfect for our small family.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955
    I looked at one ( gas version) last summer. They look nice and I bet the Transit will be vary useful. I just wish Ford would come out with the diesel here.
    +1 I drove a very similar version in Bayern last summer, and I was impressed. We had four bikes off a carrier in the back, and three inside. Airy, spacious cabin, with lots of nooks and crannies to stow items. Very good mileage with the diesel as well, with enough power in the Bavarian Alps.

Send us the diesel Ford.

I would buy one this weekend.

Ricardo Cabeza
    I've been seeing those vans around lately. A diesel version would be nice. A small wagon with a diesel would be even better.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69
    I've been seeing those vans around lately. A diesel version would be nice. A small wagon with a diesel would be even better.
    They released photos of the upcoming Focus wagon....if that comes to the US with Ford's 1.6L diesel, want.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    They released photos of the upcoming Focus wagon....if that comes to the US with Ford's 1.6L diesel, want.
    I like the idea of a small wagon, but what's with the dinky back windows again?

Dinky back windows = design fail
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Great White North
    I like the looks of it, kinda looks like a mini dodge sprinter van. If it came in a diesel, I'd consider it for a road tripper, seems like the right size.

We end up taking long trips (8-10 hours of driving) with our kids (1 and 3 yo) and a ton of gear, which means we need more space than normal. A suburban would be ideal for road trips, but overkill for everything else. A 4 door truck would be fine with me and sufficient for road trips, if not a little short on passenger space, but at least all the gear fits.

Minivans are proven soul-breakers and I won't go there. I know they come with convenient storage options, but the gonad storage compartment is a bit much for me..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good, eh!

waterproof*
    Not to drag this into PO but does anybody else notice that Ford just keeps on chugging along without drama or govt funding, turning out good vehicles that the market wants?
    * not actually a Rock Star

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    Not to drag this into PO but does anybody else notice that Ford just keeps on chugging along without drama or govt funding, turning out good vehicles that the market wants?
    funny how that works

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I'll give it a boost:
    Are you serious? Contrary to popular belief (generated by grand standing senators and congressman on CSPAN), GM has made the MOST fuel efficient models, multiple car of the year awards, and the MOST hybrid vehicles....all contrary to what your senators were saying when the cameras were on them. GM and Ford nearly went belly up for multpile reasons and a poor product was never the case. No doubt they were both beaten soundly a decade or so ago by Honda, toyota et al ..with regard to quality. But that just isnt the case the last decade. They had business model problems, exacerbated by multiple factors beyond control. Without the government, GM would have gone bankrupt plain and simple, much to you know who's delight, and several miilion people would be unemployed. Massive numbers of businesses rely directly or indirectly on GM! So next time you hear someone say "boycott GM", think about the people that would lose there jobs...in the millions! The whole anti GM thing is pure hogwash. We may have had to hold our noses doing it, but they had to be bailed out. The bail out worked and they are set to pay it all back, without losing a few million jobs.
    When gas was cheap who "made the vehicles people want", GM SUVs by the basketfull. Now that its expensive, they make more fuel efficient and hybrid models than anyone.
    Kudos to FORD nonetheless.
    Disclaimer: I grew up in the rust belt and worked the factories every summer.

your text here
    they seem to have a good plan. everything you see from gm is about the volt; a consumer-based vehicle. i have long though the way to develop the electric/next gen power cars would be through fleet vehicles. im actually surprised the govt didnt have their own "x prize" based on this concept. the first us auto manufacturer that can produce a 100 mile/gal car (that was what they used to consider the benchmark) gets a contract to replace xamount of postal delivery trucks.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Beetpull DeLite
    That's 'cuz they mortgaged themselves to the hilt.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmig19
    I'll give it a boost:
    Are you serious?
    What? No one said anything bad about GM's products. Calm down.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Yup. And they were way ahead of GM in terms of efficiency awareness.

My '90 Mustang was such a stinking pile of **** that I don't think I could ever buy a Ford again, but I do like what they've been doing the last few years.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Good news everyone!
    [QUOTE=bigmig19] Without the government, GM would have gone bankrupt plain and simpleUOTE]

Uhh.. they did go bankrupt. Even after government bailouts they couldn't survive. I'm betting it was a combination of absurd labor unions, bad business management, and a poor economy. People perceive them as bad vehicles, and whether or not that's actually the case is irrelevant. My girlfriends 2002 Chevy is a piece compared to my Camry, but that's neither here not there.

"El Bwana"
    The new Ford Fiesta is about to be released in the US. It has been a huge success in Europe and received a lot of positive reviews.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

"El Bwana"
    [QUOTE=Jim311]
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmig19
    Without the government, GM would have gone bankrupt plain and simpleUOTE]

Uhh.. they did go bankrupt. Even after government bailouts they couldn't survive. I'm betting it was a combination of absurd labor unions, bad business management, and a poor economy. People perceive them as bad vehicles, and whether or not that's actually the case is irrelevant. My girlfriends 2002 Chevy is a piece compared to my Camry, but that's neither here not there.
    The legacy benefits for union members like retiree pensions, health care, surviving spouse benefits, added substantial costs to the per-car price. I saw estimates ranging from $1500-$3000 *PER UNIT*. That's why the car companies were pushing SUVs, the margins were much better. Toyota and Honda and other non-union manufacturers did not have these legacy costs and were able to improve their margin substantially.

Edit: (I hit submit too soon). While Ford has analogous costs, the other poster was correct in that they mortgaged their properties at the height of the real estate market and have been able to move some manufacturing off shore.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    They need to release the Focus RS over here...I'd buy it in a heartbeat....car is so sick

https://jalopnik.com/5106242/2009-ford-focus-rs-im-blue

Weed
    Last edited by zyzbot; 03-07-2010 at 02:33 PM.

I want a Road Bike :)

send me the money I'll buy it for you!

You can buy it here in Monterrey and import it to the US... if you cant come, send me the money and I'll buy it for you....

https://jalopnik.com/5464201/viva-lo...xican-focus-rs

https://jalopnik.com/5462561/your-be...s-rs-in-the-us

ebay listing https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Focu...b9a411ab#v4-33

Jorge, the GM at the Car One Ford dealership in Monterey Mexico, very nicely called me that night and explained the complexities of the importation process and offered me the opportunity to back out of the transaction. I told him that I was aware of the cost and the time the importation process required, but was still very enthusiastic about the purchase. He said that Ford had imported just one batch of the RS's and that customers could not special order them, nor were they importing anymore. He said that his dealership would 100% stand behind the car regardless of where it was driven and that he was happy to help in any way he could with the importation process

Quote Originally Posted by captain-ahab
    They need to release the Focus RS over here...I'd buy it in a heartbeat....car is so sick

https://jalopnik.com/5106242/2009-ford-focus-rs-im-blue
    Last edited by mtymxdh; 03-04-2010 at 09:55 AM.
    poast count +1
    But .... a long NNC session and jerkin' the gherkin to some old-school pr0n... not necessarily in that order. Much cheaper than H&B. JustTooBig
    mtymxdh is right... you have been scammed my dear. Creakyknees

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69
    A small wagon with a diesel would be even better.
    For the love of Dog, please! Right now the only choice is the VW Sportwagen. As good as my '03 TDI has been to me, VW is not the same company as it was seven years ago. For chrissakes, they have minivans and SUV's now. This new Jetta has more toys on it in standard trim than the Passat did in '03. I just want a car, not a mobile entertainment solution.

waterproof*
    yabbut the VW minivan is just a rebadged Chrysler. I got a good look at one the other day, it's friggin identical except for the trim.
    * not actually a Rock Star

still shedding season
    BITD VW was a car.

Nothing more, nothing less. Elegant simplicity. Well thought-out. Nice handling. Longevity.

Was.

Base TDI Sportwagen comes with alloys, 6-sp (manual, at least) and a whole bunch of stuff I really don't want/need. May keep the Jetta for a bit, but it'd be nice to have something with a bit more room inside to haul the stuff I really do want/need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast