Found an iPod last night

Printable View

• 09-11-2009
    murbike
    Found an iPod last night
    80GB, 6 used, a bunch of crap songs on it, looks like it's been around the block once or twice.

The samaritan in me wants to make every effort to get it back to the owner.
    The greedy m'fer in me wants to keep it and give it to one of my kids.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

Calling the local cops, and letting them know I have it.
    Calling the school I found it behind and letting them know I have it.
    Posting a lost and found message on the local Craigslist.
    Going to the field and seeing if the soccer players are back, and asking around.

Anything else I should or should not be doing?
  • 09-11-2009
    jpelaston
    plug it into your computer and see what the person who owned it, named it. All of mine are names "J's XXXXX" (with XX being the name) It could help determine if someone claiming it is lying or not.

I just got another iPod last night. For the life of me, I can't figure out how I ended up with 5... :)
  • 09-11-2009
    murbike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelaston
    plug it into your computer and see what the person who owned it, named it. All of mine are names "J's XXXXX" (with XX being the name) It could help determine if someone claiming it is lying or not.

I just got another iPod last night. For the life of me, I can't figure out how I ended up with 5... :)

That was the first thing I checked. It just has the person's first name.

5 iPods. Dayum. Different colors to match your outfits?
  • 09-11-2009
    Chain
    Quote:

Dang. A friend gave me one of the little ones last year for Christmas. He loaded a song on it to show me how. That's the only song on it today. Wonder where I put that thing.:idea:
  • 09-11-2009
    jpelaston
    I have:
    an OLD 20gig iPod Photo (white)
    latest generation Nano (blue)
    iPhone (black)
    and two of the latest generation 4gig shuffles (silver, black)
  • 09-11-2009
    Sylint
    Got a zune. love it.
  • 09-11-2009
    Argentius
    I think there are 3 other people with Zunes, too.

Really though, I don't think it's going to be reasonably possible to find them, UNLESS the owner registered with Apple for the warranty.

If you really want to be a samaritan, call Apple up and let them know -- I wonder if they can't email the owner, should (s)he have registered the thing.

No idea if this will work, the only iPod I found was blasted by the tires of passing cars into many shiny pieces.

But, if you can't, here is another option:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1ckCkm8YI
  • 09-11-2009
    imjps
    Here's what I did when I found a nice IPod earlier this year:
    1 Contact Apple to see if they can get in touch w/ rightful owner. (They can't)
    2 Posted in Craigslist Lost & Found. (Got some emails hoping it was theirs, but they lost it in the wrong area).
    3. Put a flyer at the trailhead where I found it. (no calls...flyer was there for three months)
    4. Gave it to my son.
  • 09-11-2009
    murbike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by imjps
    Here's what I did when I found a nice IPod earlier this year:
    1 Contact Apple to see if they can get in touch w/ rightful owner. (They can't)
    2 Posted in Craigslist Lost & Found. (Got some emails hoping it was theirs, but they lost it in the wrong area).
    3. Put a flyer at the trailhead where I found it. (no calls...flyer was there for three months)
    4. Gave it to my son.

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking.

I found this one on the soccer field of the local middle school, and am going to call the school to see if anyone reported it missing.
    I'm also going to post it on CL
  • 09-11-2009
    danl1
    Props for the good sammy thought, but odds are you have yourself an ipod. IMO, the best way to deal with a 'lost' item is usually to leave it where the person lost it. Sure, maybe the next person along will 'steal' it, but that's hardly different from the honest person that can't find a way to connect.

Calling the school sounds like the one with the best chances of bearing fruit. Not sure I'd bother with the others.
  • 09-11-2009
    murbike
    Well, I called the school, and I posted a LaF notice on CL.
    How long should I wait til I make my kid the happiest 8yo in town?
  • 09-11-2009
    jpelaston
    I'l give you 30 bucks for it.
  • 09-11-2009
    haiku d'etat
    if that belonged to my son, he lost it there, it has distinguishing marks,...and i encountered you with it,...that would be an "uncomfortable situation".

boil it down to this: if it belonged to your son, and he lost it? what would you want the finder of lost ipod to do?
  • 09-11-2009
    jpelaston
    Sounds like the OP is doing quite a bit to find the owner.. If it belonged to your son, and he lost it, I'd guess you would want your kid to be a bit "uncomfortable" for losing a couple hundred dollar piece of hardware.
  • 09-11-2009
    haiku d'etat
    Quote:

Sounds like the OP is doing quite a bit to find the owner.. If it belonged to your son, and he lost it, I'd guess you would want your kid to be a bit "uncomfortable" for losing a couple hundred dollar piece of hardware.

at a couple hundred dollars for a portable mp3 player, my son would have earned it. if he lost it, he would be "uncomfortable" without any help from me.

that ipod may be a found, previously stolen article.

this thread is interesting.
  • 09-11-2009
    asciibaron
    it was mine - the music sucks, i know. at least i removed the showtunes, er, um. hi.
  • 09-11-2009
    chatterbox
    I think you wait till the end of next week before giving it to your kid. And I think you stop by the soccer practice between now and then and see if anyone is yelling at their kid about having lost an ipod, or ask the coach if anyone is missing it. At least with an ipod people can tell you what it's named and tell you some of the songs that are on it. If it does get back to a middle school kid you will have saved a family an irritating and uncomfortable week...
  • 09-11-2009
    haiku d'etat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chatterbox
    I think you wait till the end of next week before giving it to your kid. And I think you stop by the soccer practice between now and then and see if anyone is yelling at their kid about having lost an ipod, or ask the coach if anyone is missing it. At least with an ipod people can tell you what it's named and tell you some of the songs that are on it. If it does get back to a middle school kid you will have saved a family an irritating and uncomfortable week...

great idear!
  • 09-11-2009
    haiku d'etat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asciibaron
    it was mine - the music sucks, i know. at least i removed the showtunes, er, um. hi.

that really wasn't a train forum, was it?
  • 09-11-2009
    murbike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by haiku d'etat
    at a couple hundred dollars for a portable mp3 player, my son would have earned it. if he lost it, he would be "uncomfortable" without any help from me.

that ipod may be a found, previously stolen article.

this thread is interesting.

That's pretty much what I was going to say.

Now, the thing is, I don't think it belongs to a kid. There was a men's soccer game/practice going on when I walked up to the school, and when I walked back and saw the iPod, it was after 8, and very dark. It was near where the guys put their gear, IIRC.

Over the weekend, I'll post a flier or two up on the soccer field (don't think it will last long - that's also the playground for the school) and see what turns up.

Beyond that, I don't think there's much more I can do.
  • 09-11-2009
    murbike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asciibaron

There's actually some OK music on it, along with a few music videos.
  • 09-11-2009
    murbike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by haiku d'etat
    great idear!

I agree, except it was a men's soccer league, and I'm not sure when they play/practice.

I'll keep my eyes open.
  • 09-11-2009
    haiku d'etat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by murbike
    Beyond that, I don't think there's much more I can do.

i think you have all the bases covered. good on you, and good karma!