Found an iPod last night
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Large Suburban Male
    Reputation: murbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599

    Found an iPod last night

    80GB, 6 used, a bunch of crap songs on it, looks like it's been around the block once or twice.

    The samaritan in me wants to make every effort to get it back to the owner.
    The greedy m'fer in me wants to keep it and give it to one of my kids.

    Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

    Calling the local cops, and letting them know I have it.
    Calling the school I found it behind and letting them know I have it.
    Posting a lost and found message on the local Craigslist.
    Going to the field and seeing if the soccer players are back, and asking around.

    Anything else I should or should not be doing?
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

  2. #2
    Review RoadBike Member
    Reputation: jpelaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,560
    plug it into your computer and see what the person who owned it, named it. All of mine are names "J's XXXXX" (with XX being the name) It could help determine if someone claiming it is lying or not.

    I just got another iPod last night. For the life of me, I can't figure out how I ended up with 5...
    MTB'er in disguise

  3. #3
    Large Suburban Male
    Reputation: murbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by jpelaston
    plug it into your computer and see what the person who owned it, named it. All of mine are names "J's XXXXX" (with XX being the name) It could help determine if someone claiming it is lying or not.

    I just got another iPod last night. For the life of me, I can't figure out how I ended up with 5...
    That was the first thing I checked. It just has the person's first name.

    5 iPods. Dayum. Different colors to match your outfits?
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

  4. #4
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    19,333
    Quote Originally Posted by jpelaston
    plug it into your computer and see what the person who owned it, named it. All of mine are names "J's XXXXX" (with XX being the name) It could help determine if someone claiming it is lying or not.

    I just got another iPod last night. For the life of me, I can't figure out how I ended up with 5...
    Dang. A friend gave me one of the little ones last year for Christmas. He loaded a song on it to show me how. That's the only song on it today. Wonder where I put that thing.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

  5. #5
    Review RoadBike Member
    Reputation: jpelaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,560
    I have:
    an OLD 20gig iPod Photo (white)
    latest generation Nano (blue)
    iPhone (black)
    and two of the latest generation 4gig shuffles (silver, black)
    MTB'er in disguise

  6. #6
    Honey Smack!
    Reputation: Sylint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,966
    Got a zune. love it.

  7. #7
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15,882
    I think there are 3 other people with Zunes, too.

    Really though, I don't think it's going to be reasonably possible to find them, UNLESS the owner registered with Apple for the warranty.

    If you really want to be a samaritan, call Apple up and let them know -- I wonder if they can't email the owner, should (s)he have registered the thing.

    No idea if this will work, the only iPod I found was blasted by the tires of passing cars into many shiny pieces.

    But, if you can't, here is another option:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1ckCkm8YI

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: imjps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    588
    Here's what I did when I found a nice IPod earlier this year:
    1 Contact Apple to see if they can get in touch w/ rightful owner. (They can't)
    2 Posted in Craigslist Lost & Found. (Got some emails hoping it was theirs, but they lost it in the wrong area).
    3. Put a flyer at the trailhead where I found it. (no calls...flyer was there for three months)
    4. Gave it to my son.

  9. #9
    Large Suburban Male
    Reputation: murbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by imjps
    Here's what I did when I found a nice IPod earlier this year:
    1 Contact Apple to see if they can get in touch w/ rightful owner. (They can't)
    2 Posted in Craigslist Lost & Found. (Got some emails hoping it was theirs, but they lost it in the wrong area).
    3. Put a flyer at the trailhead where I found it. (no calls...flyer was there for three months)
    4. Gave it to my son.
    Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking.

    I found this one on the soccer field of the local middle school, and am going to call the school to see if anyone reported it missing.
    I'm also going to post it on CL
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

  10. #10
    Steaming piles of opinion
    Reputation: danl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,503
    Props for the good sammy thought, but odds are you have yourself an ipod. IMO, the best way to deal with a 'lost' item is usually to leave it where the person lost it. Sure, maybe the next person along will 'steal' it, but that's hardly different from the honest person that can't find a way to connect.

    Calling the school sounds like the one with the best chances of bearing fruit. Not sure I'd bother with the others.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

  11. #11
    Large Suburban Male
    Reputation: murbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    Well, I called the school, and I posted a LaF notice on CL.
    How long should I wait til I make my kid the happiest 8yo in town?
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

  12. #12
    Review RoadBike Member
    Reputation: jpelaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,560
    I'l give you 30 bucks for it.
    MTB'er in disguise

  13. #13
    Strained coccyx etc etc
    Reputation: haiku d'etat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    21,050
    if that belonged to my son, he lost it there, it has distinguishing marks,...and i encountered you with it,...that would be an "uncomfortable situation".

    boil it down to this: if it belonged to your son, and he lost it? what would you want the finder of lost ipod to do?
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

  14. #14
    Review RoadBike Member
    Reputation: jpelaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,560
    Sounds like the OP is doing quite a bit to find the owner.. If it belonged to your son, and he lost it, I'd guess you would want your kid to be a bit "uncomfortable" for losing a couple hundred dollar piece of hardware.
    MTB'er in disguise

  15. #15
    Strained coccyx etc etc
    Reputation: haiku d'etat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    21,050
    Quote Originally Posted by jpelaston
    Sounds like the OP is doing quite a bit to find the owner.. If it belonged to your son, and he lost it, I'd guess you would want your kid to be a bit "uncomfortable" for losing a couple hundred dollar piece of hardware.
    at a couple hundred dollars for a portable mp3 player, my son would have earned it. if he lost it, he would be "uncomfortable" without any help from me.

    that ipod may be a found, previously stolen article.

    this thread is interesting.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

  16. #16
    donuts?
    Reputation: asciibaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,945
    it was mine - the music sucks, i know. at least i removed the showtunes, er, um. hi.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

  17. #17
    Hermia commutes
    Reputation: chatterbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,496
    I think you wait till the end of next week before giving it to your kid. And I think you stop by the soccer practice between now and then and see if anyone is yelling at their kid about having lost an ipod, or ask the coach if anyone is missing it. At least with an ipod people can tell you what it's named and tell you some of the songs that are on it. If it does get back to a middle school kid you will have saved a family an irritating and uncomfortable week...

  18. #18
    Strained coccyx etc etc
    Reputation: haiku d'etat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    21,050
    Quote Originally Posted by chatterbox
    I think you wait till the end of next week before giving it to your kid. And I think you stop by the soccer practice between now and then and see if anyone is yelling at their kid about having lost an ipod, or ask the coach if anyone is missing it. At least with an ipod people can tell you what it's named and tell you some of the songs that are on it. If it does get back to a middle school kid you will have saved a family an irritating and uncomfortable week...
    great idear!
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

  19. #19
    Strained coccyx etc etc
    Reputation: haiku d'etat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    21,050
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron
    it was mine - the music sucks, i know. at least i removed the showtunes, er, um. hi.
    that really wasn't a train forum, was it?
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

  20. #20
    Large Suburban Male
    Reputation: murbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by haiku d'etat
    at a couple hundred dollars for a portable mp3 player, my son would have earned it. if he lost it, he would be "uncomfortable" without any help from me.

    that ipod may be a found, previously stolen article.

    this thread is interesting.
    That's pretty much what I was going to say.

    Now, the thing is, I don't think it belongs to a kid. There was a men's soccer game/practice going on when I walked up to the school, and when I walked back and saw the iPod, it was after 8, and very dark. It was near where the guys put their gear, IIRC.

    Over the weekend, I'll post a flier or two up on the soccer field (don't think it will last long - that's also the playground for the school) and see what turns up.

    Beyond that, I don't think there's much more I can do.
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

  21. #21
    Large Suburban Male
    Reputation: murbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron
    it was mine - the music sucks, i know. at least i removed the showtunes, er, um. hi.
    There's actually some OK music on it, along with a few music videos.
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

  22. #22
    Large Suburban Male
    Reputation: murbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by haiku d'etat
    great idear!
    I agree, except it was a men's soccer league, and I'm not sure when they play/practice.

    I'll keep my eyes open.
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

  23. #23
    Strained coccyx etc etc
    Reputation: haiku d'etat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    21,050
    Quote Originally Posted by murbike
    Beyond that, I don't think there's much more I can do.
    i think you have all the bases covered. good on you, and good karma!
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.