French cuffs
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: French cuffs

  1. #1
    ARP
    ARP is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    5,192

    French cuffs

    Yea or nay overkill? I picked up a few shirts yesterday and I had to think the last time I wore a shirt requiring cuff links. One of the shirts I knew needed cuff links, the second I did not know. They were still cheaper than the damn uni shirts my company offers us to buy.

    I kinda like them but I don't want to look over dressed. I hate spending more than $17 for a shirt to wear to work, these were $20. I think I can live with that. I guess just as long as I don't use some big gaudy blingin' cuff link I'll be okay.

  2. #2
    Shrewdest Unit Mover
    Reputation: empty_set's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,483
    stylin'
    Moving Units

  3. #3
    Ironbutt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    203
    French cuffs are an extremely stylish way to set yourself apart from the masses. A French cuffed shirt with a pair of simple cuff links is the way to go.

  4. #4
    Steaming piles of opinion
    Reputation: danl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,503
    Quote Originally Posted by ARP
    Yea or nay overkill? I picked up a few shirts yesterday and I had to think the last time I wore a shirt requiring cuff links. One of the shirts I knew needed cuff links, the second I did not know. They were still cheaper than the damn uni shirts my company offers us to buy.

    I kinda like them but I don't want to look over dressed. I hate spending more than $17 for a shirt to wear to work, these were $20. I think I can live with that. I guess just as long as I don't use some big gaudy blingin' cuff link I'll be okay.
    Your husband will find them very attractive.

    Oh. Nevermind.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

  5. #5
    Honey Smack!
    Reputation: Sylint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,966
    I love French cuffs. Hardly ever get a chance to wear them anymore but like Ironbutt said, awesome, understated way to distinquish yourself.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

  6. #6
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    19,356
    Hand cuffs? What?
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Tommy Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,644
    Very stylish, you should dress for the job you want. Get slick cufflinks, add the suspenders. Best deal in French Cuffs are Today's Man, shirts are $24, then find someone to put your initials on them as well.

  8. #8
    Strained coccyx etc etc
    Reputation: haiku d'etat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    21,050
    i thought (hoped) this thread was about something else.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

  9. #9
    No hero that's understood
    Reputation: q_and_a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Walker
    Very stylish, you should dress for the job you want. Get slick cufflinks, add the suspenders. Best deal in French Cuffs are Today's Man, shirts are $24, then find someone to put your initials on them as well.
    So you're saying you want to be Gordon Gekko?

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Tommy Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,644

    Greed is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by q_and_a
    So you're saying you want to be Gordon Gekko?
    Wall Street is one of my favorite movies.

    If your enemy is superior, evade him. If angry, irritate him. If equally matched, fight, and if not split and reevaluate.
    Sun-tzu

    If not Gordon Gekko, then perhaps the Gecko on the GEICO commercial.

  11. #11
    No hero that's understood
    Reputation: q_and_a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,100
    I've seen it a ton of times.

    Am I the only one who thinks Bud Fox is an extremely entertaining name for a guy going to jail?

  12. #12
    We're no better than mice
    Reputation: EverydayRide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironbutt
    French cuffs are an extremely stylish way to set yourself apart from the masses. A French cuffed shirt with a pair of simple cuff links is the way to go.
    You can wear french cuffs with silk french knots too.

    Here and here.

    Just saying.

    If you need the jame bondage look, there are USB cuff links too. LOL


  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Wolfman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    457
    I have a few shirts with them... they're pretty cool and I don't hesitate to wear them.

    Beware, though: Have seen some self-proclaimed fashionistas say this in print:

    "French cuff shirt and cufflinks without a sport coat = Mumbai nightclub."

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,609
    John wears them fairly often, but I get him the fun cufflinks. He has these, plus some ball bearings, bike wheels/gears/signs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    ARP
    ARP is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    5,192

    I "inherited" 2 pair of cuff links

    They are nice understated. I went skiing yesterday and their is a Prime Outlet mall on the way home. I had been buying most of my work clothes from a Value City/TJ Max/Marshalls/Burlington CF type places. Nothing upscale retail. I know fabric from my days working upscale retail, so you can find worsted wool pants and decent quality shirts if you know where to look. Anyway, I stopped in the Van Heusan store and checked out the shirts and bought. I'll give them a shot, they work out I'll be back for more. Thanks all, I take it to be a thumbs up on the cuffs.

  16. #16
    Go Blue
    Reputation: MarkS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10,106
    Back in the day when I wore a suit to work every day (i.e., before 2000), I usually wore a white shirt with french cuffs to work -- I once had about 20 of them. Since "business casual" became the office uniform, I only wear a suit occasionally. But, when I do wear a suit, most of the time I wear a shirt with french cuffs. As much as I like french cuffs, they signify a level of formality that really requires full business formal dress -- suit, tie, dress shoes, etc. I think that french cuffs worn on a shirt without a tie (and a jacket on top of the shirt) looks incongruous.

    The cufflinks that I usually wear to the office are simple -- I have four pairs of simple gold cufflinks and a few pairs of simple silver ones. I have several pairs of "novelty" cufflinks that people have given to me, but I rarely wear them.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

  17. #17
    In need of sock puppet
    Reputation: thinkcooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,420
    I know how to get you out of them, if you break the key in the lock.




  18. #18
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    38,585
    Just try to make sure you've got "double" cufflinks (ones with designs on both ends, instead of just the "front" side.)

    A unique and not too expensive add-on for fashionistas can be found in the vintage market, as long as you're not going for Cartier-level stuff.

  19. #19
    Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Reputation: bikeboy389's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9,416
    I like teh French cuffs, and would wear them more, but I'm too cheap to get them. I find them to be a lot more expensive, generally.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

  20. #20
    Go Blue
    Reputation: MarkS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10,106
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl
    Just try to make sure you've got "double" cufflinks (ones with designs on both ends, instead of just the "front" side.)

    A unique and not too expensive add-on for fashionistas can be found in the vintage market, as long as you're not going for Cartier-level stuff.
    Three out of the four gold pairs that I usually wear are doubles (as was another pair that was stolen when our house was robbed in 1996). Two of the vintage pairs that I only wear with black tie are doubles, too. My father had several pairs of 1960s vintage cufflinks that currently reside in my safe deposit box, including one pair with rubies, another with sapphires and a pair with $5.00 gold pieces in them. My father's cufflinks are too large and gaudy for my taste. And, none of them are doubles. So, I rarely wear them, but they are fun to have.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: carveitup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    833
    My wife got these made for me by a lady on Etsy.com.

    The picture doesn't do them justice. They're silver.
    IMG_1382-new.jpg

  22. #22
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    38,585
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    Three out of the four gold pairs that I usually wear are doubles (as was another pair that was stolen when our house was robbed in 1996). Two of the vintage pairs that I only wear with black tie are doubles, too. My father had several pairs of 1960s vintage cufflinks that currently reside in my safe deposit box, including one pair with rubies, another with sapphires and a pair with $5.00 gold pieces in them. My father's cufflinks are too large and gaudy for my taste. And, none of them are doubles. So, I rarely wear them, but they are fun to have.
    Just a thought, but a reasonably competent jeweler might be able to fashion your father's singles into doubles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.