French Cuffs and Cufflinks
    Festina Lente'

French Cuffs and Cufflinks

My uncle (the tailor) just took my measurements for a few shirts, on a whim, i asked for French cuff. I do not own, now have i ever owned cufflinks, or a french cuffed shirt. However I do think they look great.

Are "non traditional" Cufflinks totally the lose?

Are French cuff shirts too nice to wear without a tie...to a business casual workplace?

Thanks!

nK
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

Lemur-ing
    I wear French Cuff shirts out at times with jeans. Love em.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

No team-cest unless 8+!
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOEIT
    Are French cuff shirts too nice to wear without a tie...to a business casual workplace?
    No way. I think they look classier... which doesn't mean "nicer."

Twitterpated
    SLOEIT,

Excellent choice. French cuffs tell everyone that you are better than they are, and you don't even have to say it out loud.

Jul 2004
    i rock the french cuffs ALL the time.

don't think teh chix won't notice because they will...they will buy you cuff links, too.

Festina Lente'
    Quote Originally Posted by T-shirt
    SLOEIT,

Excellent choice. French cuffs tell everyone that you are better than they are, and you don't even have to say it out loud.
    HAHA, excellent...

If tailored shirts fit me as well as tailored pants...im going to be visiting my uncle monthly. He is only charging me cost on the shirts...which puts them less than i pay for dress shirts at other stores...such as express...etc.

nK
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

Go Blue
    Do you wear tennis shoes when you wear your tuxedo?

French cuffs signal a certain level of formality that is inconsistent with casual dress. I even think that French cuffs are kind of over the top even if you are wearing a tie with a sports jacket, as opposed to your wearing a suit. I like French cuffs and cuff links. But, I never wear them unless I am wearing a suit.
    Last edited by MarkS; 11-18-2007 at 12:14 PM.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Life Coach
    I both agree and disagree with MarkS. If you're in a setting that still understands the rules of fashion, like law or banking, then French cuffs really demand a suit. Outside of that, you get a little wiggle room thanks to general ignorance. But not too much. I would think a well-cut jacket would be bare minimum, but I can envision scenarios where you could get away without the tie.

S2H
    wut?
    French cuffs rauwk your FICE! Dey make yoo sexy like teh S2H!111

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I go without a tie most of the time, it looks nice. I like cufflinks.
    This poster is an employee of

We Keep You Cycling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Says it all

http://men.style.com/details/feature...d=content_4124

Lose the French Cuffs
    Button-down shirts built for jewelry may make you feel like a moneyed stud, but they make you look like a 12-year-old.
    By Katherine Wheelock; Photographs by Jeff Mermelstein

Someday, when you have a silvery mane, an engorged 401(k), and a 25-year-old mistress on call, you’ll be free to wear French cuffs. You’ll even be entitled to wear them with diamond-encrusted, monogrammed cuff links and blow Cohiba smoke in the faces of the sycophants who work for you. Until then, unless your name is Lagerfeld, Wonka, or Prince Such-and-Such, you do not have license to wear French cuffs—under any circumstances.

“But wait,” Young Finance Guy might protest. “I’m an upwardly mobile stud at a high-profile firm—my superiors all wear bespoke shirts with knuckle-size gold cuff links.” Exactly. Your superiors. An apple-cheeked M.B.A. has as much business dressing like Barry Diller as your grandmother has taking wardrobe cues from Shakira. Instead of giving the impression that the wearer spent his day sealing million-dollar deals, the big-boy cuffs suggest he actually dances jigs for a CEO who’s earned the right to wear his. Ian, a 22-year-old investment banker in New York, wears French cuffs almost all the time, with a rotating collection of cuff links. “We don’t have to dress that way at work,” Ian says. “But I think it makes a good impression.” Plus, come happy hour, the wrist jewelry helps with the ladies: “Cuff links are a conversation piece. If a girl compliments you on them, you get into a whole discussion.”

Once upon a time that rationale might have flown. In Little Women, Jo is so transfixed by the cuff links of her suitor, Mr. Bhaer, that she fumbles her ball of knitting yarn. The French cuff had become voguish in Europe a few years before the publication of Louisa May Alcott’s novel, thanks largely to Alexander Dumas, who debuted his Three Musketeers in fancy sleeves in 1844. It remained a swashbuckler’s affectation for a century, right up to the time of Fiat playboy Gianni Agnelli, who made it part of his signature look. Of course, Agnelli also wore a fat sparkling watch on top of his cuffs, so he’s not exactly a style icon for the Everyman.

“French cuffs are intended to be formal,” says Tom Kalenderian, executive vice president of Barneys New York. “Dressing up a suit is their primary function.”

Or dressing up royals, like Prince William. Wills, in fact, may be part of the inspiration for another breed of French-cuff abusers: the open-cuffers. Witness Jude Law, seen in the limelight more than once with unrestrained shirt cuffs hanging down over his thumbs from beneath the sleeves of an unbuttoned suit jacket. The look: Prince Charming on an early-morning walk of shame.

“This trend is showing up a lot on the red carpet,” Kalenderian says. “The guy who’s doing that is emulating something he’s seen before. It’s not original. You don’t see someone truly stylish doing it.”

Scott Sternberg, founder of preppy-chic men’s label Band of Outsiders, doesn’t condemn shirts with French cuffs altogether, but he thinks they have their place. And that place is in close proximity to a bowl of eggnog.

“It makes the most sense to me in the context of holiday,” says Sternberg, who turned out Dean Martin–style button-downs as part of a holiday collection in December. “It’s a time of year when everything’s heightened.” In other words, when trees are decorated, you can be, too. Until then, if you must wear French cuffs, roll them up. And get back to work.

S2H
    wut?
    Some cuff links are obnoxious--that's why I usually wear those elastic knot links you can get for just a few dollars. The ones I have on in that picture are teh exception.

Large Suburban Male
    I don't like wearing a suit, never mind adding French cuffs and links to the equation. I prefer simple, clean lines.

French cuffs and links are a bit too dandy for my taste.
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    Some cuff links are obnoxious--that's why I usually wear those elastic knot links you can get for just a few dollars. The ones I have on in that picture are teh exception.
    Scotty is right. The cuff links make all the difference. The elastic knots or very plain, small cuff links give a very different message than large, gaudy cuff links do. All of the cuff links that I wear to work are small and plain. Unless you want to look like a riverboat gambler or mafia don, stay away from the diamond encrusted, half dollar sized cuff links.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Twitterpated
    Quote Originally Posted by Val_Garou
    I both agree and disagree with MarkS. If you're in a setting that still understands the rules of fashion, like law or banking, then French cuffs really demand a suit. Outside of that, you get a little wiggle room thanks to general ignorance. But not too much. I would think a well-cut jacket would be bare minimum, but I can envision scenarios where you could get away without the tie.
    Maybe I should recuse myself: I am a banker.

But yea, I would only wear FC's with a suit, not a sport coat. But then I don't even wear sport coats.

Anyway, you can wear FC's with just pants and people will assume that your suit coat is back at your desk. There, now you've received a fashion tip from a banker.

Oh hai there
    S2H is on point with the understated cuff holding devices. All of my cufflinks are very simple and modest, I also use the little elastic knot jobbers that comes wit teh shirtz too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    More importantly, where is he putting the monogram?