Fresh made cheesecake left out all night - recipe for disaster?

View Poll Results: What to do with the cheesecake?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chuck it - buy one one the way there.

0 0%
  • Keep it - fridges are for sissies

6 66.67%
  • Take it and at least taste it, you'll know if it spoilt.

3 33.33%
    Mostly Absent

Fresh made cheesecake left out all night - recipe for disaster?

Last night, I made a pumpkin cheesecake to bring to Thanksgiving at the folks. Afterwards, we were cleaning up and getting out containers to put everything in. So as not to assign blame, the cheesecake ended up sitting on the countertop all night.

Is it ruined? Should I even tempt fate with the Temptee?

Last edited by Kennedy; 11-22-2006 at 05:06 AM.

Grey Manrod
    I say it's good to go. Think of it this way - some parties, etc. stuff like that can sit out for 8 hours, easy.

And heck, what's Thanksgiving without some food poisoning?

Aug 2006
    Wrong. Cheescake isn't cake. It should be re-named as something else, cheesepie maybe.
    النبي طفلة مولستر

Mostly Absent
    alright, limey. This isn't a semantics discussion.

Feb 2006
    I say its Fine. If it would have been 24hrs then I'd taste it (and conclude it was probably fine). I'll ask my brother and dad who are food science doods and get back. But I'll warn you my brother didn't think having a tap in the porta potty was a good idea

If it makes you feel any better I had some white castles on sunday that sat on the countertop (in the folded up bag) from about 2 am sunday morning until about 8 pm sunday night. I nuke em for like 2 minutes to kill anything and they were good. I put lots of jalapeno sauce on them to hide any nasty flavors.

Milk Thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcog
    Wrong. Cheescake isn't cake. It should be re-named as something else, cheesepie maybe.
    I agree it's not cake, but on the other hand it's not pie either. It's the duckbilled platypus of desserts. I have studied them for years, often resulting in great personal, internal suffering, but still have no clue of how to catagorize it. I can, however, tell a fake cheesecake from a real one by the presence of a true pie crust, much like the way you distinguish a legless lizard from a snake by the presence of eyelids.

If a snake is born with two heads, the heads will fight over who gets beer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    the cheesecake is fine. when you baked it you killed all the bacteria in the cream cheese. also if you used vanilla the acohol in the vanilla would kill the bacteria in it. not saying more wont form just that you are starting with a clean slate.

Mostly Absent
    i'm saving this thread and if anyone gets botulism, I'm suing Malcog.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The temperature danger zone is the temperature at which bacteria multiply rapidly. The temperature is from 40 degree Fahrenheit to 140 degree Fahrenheit. Foods should not be allowed to stay in this temperature zone for more than 2 hours (actually, up to six in some circles... depends on who you talk to really).
    Since you baked the cheesecake it was probably well above the temperature danger zone and allowed to cool to roughly 65 degrees over the course of the night, which I am estimating to be 12 hours. (8 at night to 8 in the morning).
    So lets say it was in the TDZ for about 10 hours, a great deal longer than the 2 hours (or 6) that is recommended. Giving bacteria a great deal of time to multiply rapidly.
    So, what could be the consequences of your actions? Say the pie serves 12-15 unknowing guests.... a sign of food poisoning could be diarrhea, which everyone would get after lets say 2 hours of gestation. You have one or two bathrooms that have up to 15 people attempting to process all the food that they have eaten including the formidable cheesecake, turkey, sweet potatoes, green beans, masked potatoes, corn, carrots, etc.

If it is questionable.... do not serve. Catastrophes come in many forms....

JP

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Deflection

Quote Originally Posted by jparman
    ...So, what could be the consequences of your actions? Say the pie serves 12-15 unknowing guests.... a sign of food poisoning could be diarrhea, which everyone would get after lets say 2 hours of gestation...
    There should be some other people bringing food with the potential for food poisoning. Graze the table and find a popular item that lots of people will eat but might be suspicious of. About a half hour before the conclusion of the 2 hour gestation period start complaining to others about your onset of gastric problems. Ask them if they tried the turkey tartare too. Soon any blame associated with the tainted cheesecake will be deflected to some other inept chef for a day.
    Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    well give it to your mother in law and wait a few hours

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeping up with Junior
    There should be some other people bringing food with the potential for food poisoning. Graze the table and find a popular item that lots of people will eat but might be suspicious of. About a half hour before the conclusion of the 2 hour gestation period start complaining to others about your onset of gastric problems. Ask them if they tried the turkey tartare too. Soon any blame associated with the tainted cheesecake will be deflected to some other inept chef for a day.
    you sir are a genius.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    I don't really care for cheesecake, so I won't be having any anyway. Serve it up, I say!

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy
    Last night, I made a pumpkin cheesecake to bring to Thanksgiving at the folks. Afterwards, we were cleaning up and getting out containers to put everything in. So as not to assign blame, the cheesecake ended up sitting on the countertop all night.

Is it ruined? Should I even tempt fate with the Temptee?

Is mold growing on it yet? If not, eat it. If yes, scrape the mold off and eat it.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Born from JortsŪ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy
    Is it ruined?
    I'd hump it.