'Game Of Thrones' Has Belatedly Pwned Me... - Page 27
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 252627
    feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Saw premiere. It was GOOD. Set-up, but GOOD set-up, well-executed. Faith restored... for now.

PLEASE don't muck it up, Weiss and Benioff. Mah taser's charged and at the ready.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Saw premiere. It was GOOD. Set-up, but GOOD set-up, well-executed. Faith restored... for now.

PLEASE don't muck it up, Weiss and Benioff. Mah taser's charged and at the ready.
    We watched the last of last season, then this one. Agreed on good set up.

It won't be mucked up, but it might not be at the level of previous seasons. That's my guess.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    There is lots riding on a good close to the series. I am not saying that it can’t be muck up, just saying that I think HBO and to lesser extend, RRM have a lot going in. Spin offs? Books(ha!?)

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by L_Johnny View Post
    ...and to lesser extend, RRM ...
    If it is great, he benefits in book sales when people want more details, and to see how his end might differ from the HBO end (which he did not write, just gave some main points of where he THOUGHT it would go).

If it is not so great, he benefits from being seen as more responsible for what people liked about it, so again more book sales.

Assuming books, of course, but if that ever happens, I think he benefits no matter what.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by L_Johnny View Post
    There is lots riding on a good close to the series. I am not saying that it can’t be muck up, just saying that I think HBO and to lesser extend, GRRM have a lot going in. Spin offs? Books(ha!?)
    Yes and no. HBO is definitely hoping and praying for a good and well-received end to the series, since as you say they have multiple spin-off series in the works. If the show 'hits the iceberg' in its final season (which could still happen), that would be very awful indeed for the network and its future plans.

But GRRM himself has nothing to worry about. As Q basically said, if the final season sucks, then fans will be eager to read the final two books to 'cleanse their palates of the suck' and find out how it REALLY was supposed to end. And if the final season is good to great, then many ppl will want all the additional details and flavor that will be found only in the books. Win-win for GRRM all the way.

When he FINALLY (bwahahaha, we hope) releases Winds of Winter, it'll be a monster event, probably bigger than a Harry Potter book release. And remember how crazy those got?
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post

It won't be mucked up, but it might not be at the level of previous seasons. That's my guess.

… this is the point in most long lived TV series where we finally get to see Dragons!!

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    This is highly interesting , and something I failed to notice much before... the spiral symbols have some potential big significance:

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-th...rones-premiere

RoadBikeReview Member
    When he FINALLY (bwahahaha, we hope) releases Winds of Winter, it'll be a monster event, probably bigger than a Harry Potter book release. And remember how crazy those got?
    Nope, never read the books, never seen an entire movie, real wizards have grey or white cloaks and scraggly long beards.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is highly interesting , and something I failed to notice much before... the spiral symbols have some potential big significance:
    Clearly a reference to Oceanic Airlines Flight 815.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Also, ppl seem to be losing their sh!t over the 'secret dragonglass weapon' that Arya commissioned Gendry to make for her. I think some are even taking it as a cue that Arya will somehow assassinate the Night King with it.

Who knows, but that seems like overrreach to me.

Maybe it's just a cool weapon for cool weapon's sake, so Arya can look awesome wiping out undead and White Walkers on the battlefield.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ry-dragonglass

https://mashable.com/article/game-of.../#briZuht4fOqE

gazing from the shadows
    I think some are even taking it as a cue that Arya will somehow assassinate the Night King with it.

Who knows, but that seems like overrreach to me.
    Really? A trained assassin who has assassinated others assassinating someone is over reach? I'm not sold, but I can see it fitting.

Classic trope is hero/king kills villain/king in the final battle. The rather obvious version of this is a straight up dragon battle for GoT. Subverting that to a slick assassination, rather than heroic dragon battle seems to fit with a pattern of subverting expectations in the epic. Of course, lots of people are looking for such things now, but the casual viewer won't be.

However, I don't think it makes sense. She has a dagger that would do the job, and that's much more suitable for assassination than a spear or harpoon or whatever it ends up being. So maybe she kills him, but I don't see the assassination angle as being quite right.

Lots of guessing going on, which is fine. I'll just mostly enjoy the ride and take it as it comes.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    So how is Daenerys gonna take the news when she finds out she's not next in line to the throne?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Really? A trained assassin who has assassinated others assassinating someone is over reach? I'm not sold, but I can see it fitting.

Classic trope is hero/king kills villain/king in the final battle. The rather obvious version of this is a straight up dragon battle for GoT. Subverting that to a slick assassination, rather than heroic dragon battle seems to fit with a pattern of subverting expectations in the epic. Of course, lots of people are looking for such things now, but the casual viewer won't be.

However, I don't think it makes sense. She has a dagger that would do the job, and that's much more suitable for assassination than a spear or harpoon or whatever it ends up being. So maybe she kills him, but I don't see the assassination angle as being quite right.

Lots of guessing going on, which is fine. I'll just mostly enjoy the ride and take it as it comes.
    It's not overreach in that Arya isn't a bad-ass assassin, she obviously is; it's overreach in that she hands Gendry a diagram, and everyone's like, "ZOMG, Arya's gonna kill the Night King!!!"

You don't honestly think GRRM's plotlines (which are the skeleton-sketch for much of the bigger plot points in the show) are that easy to figure out/predict, now do you?

I'll agree on one thing... I think everyone thinks either Jon, or maybe possibly Daenerys (via dragon) is going to kill the Night King. Probably it won't be as easy or pat as that. Doesn't feel like GRRM would 'play it down the middle' like that. But that doesn't mean it'll be Arya, either.

sidenote: Let's go for TRUE genre subversion... the Night King wins, installs a parliamentary democracy, and winds up being the most benevolent and beloved ruler of Westeros ever.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    So how is Daenerys gonna take the news when she finds out she's not next in line to the throne?
    Feeds Jon to Drogon while saying, "You rule nothing, Jon Snow"...?

gazing from the shadows
    It's not overreach in that Arya isn't a bad-ass assassin, she obviously is; it's overreach in that she hands Gendry a diagram, and everyone's like, "ZOMG, Arya's gonna kill the Night King!!!"

You don't honestly think GRRM's plotlines (which are the skeleton-sketch for much of the bigger plot points in the show) are that easy to figure out/predict, now do you?
    How's this.

She tries to kill him, fails, and then.... zombie Arya!

People would freak at red wedding levels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

I'll agree on one thing... I think everyone thinks either Jon, or maybe possibly Daenerys (via dragon) is going to kill the Night King. Probably it won't be as easy or pat as that. Doesn't feel like GRRM would 'play it down the middle' like that. But that doesn't mean it'll be Arya, either.

sidenote: Let's go for TRUE genre subversion... the Night King wins, installs a parliamentary democracy, and winds up being the most benevolent and beloved ruler of Westeros ever.
    Well Nightkingcare does appear to be a low cost, universal program with near 100% results.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    Well Nightkingcare does appear to be a low cost, universal program with near 100% results.
    Stealth Politics Only posts ruin everything.

Appropriate that it was #666 in the thread.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Also, ppl seem to be losing their sh!t over the 'secret dragonglass weapon' that Arya commissioned Gendry to make for her. I think some are even taking it as a cue that Arya will somehow assassinate the Night King with it.
    As fans noted on Reddit, Arya has long admired the Dornish warrior-queen Nymeria (whom she named her own direwolf after). The warriors of Dorn are known for using spears or shorter throwing spears, which seams to be what Arya is going for with this blueprint. It might be a stretch, but it's also worth noting that the Dornish were the first to kill one of Aegon I Targaryen's dragons during the First Dornish War.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Proud luddite
    They should just pour water on the Night King. It'll melt him, just like what happened to the Wicked Witch in "The Wizard of Oz".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    They should just pour water on the Night King. It'll melt him, just like what happened to the Wicked Witch in "The Wizard of Oz".
    DAMN U!!!! how 'bout warning us with a SPOILER ALERT!!!!

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Wizard of Oz?? This ain't about Australia, man.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Cool second episode of the (final) season, but I'm not sure I would've gone with TWO full set-up episodes.

Somehow I picture the Night King out there on the battlefield, impatiently looking at his watch and saying, "Hello? Aren't you damn humans done with all your damn reunions and romance already?? Yeeesh."

Still some good and worthwhile scenes, of course. My faves:

– Brienne getting knighted
    – Arya and Gendry gettin' it on
    – Tormund being oh-so-very Tormund

And, they did finally tell us their 'plan' for the battle, and how they hope to lure the Night King in and kill him. But, far as actual action or huge show-stopping reveals go, nada.

Also, no Cersei this ep. I very much like Cersei, even though it's obvious that someone will do her in before all is said and done. Still, she is 'evil with a personality' in a way that the Night King is not and cannot really be.

Four episodes left. Thank goodness they're all super-sized from here on out (i.e. 80 minutes each).

gazing from the shadows
    Cool second episode of the (final) season, but I'm not sure I would've gone with TWO full set-up episodes.
    I didn't mind. Gathering the team, reminding everyone about the team members/relationships/history and why this is a BFD in terms of what is coming. If they had tried to pack all that into one episode and then started the killing, it would have seemed thin and forced. Now everyone is primed for what is to come, characters and viewers alike. The pacing worked with the long layoff in particular. Binge watching the series a year from now, likely not so much.

I do think the dialogue has been a bit less than it could have been. No specific examples, just a bit less than in the past. A bit more predictable. Sansa/Daenerys in particular was... weak dialogue.

And the "kill the evil leader and all their minions die" is so common, I have to wonder if that is a GRRM plot point. Maybe it is, given that the set up is no matter what happens there's still a 20k strong army to deal with. And I have a feeling that Tyrion might have a "smart" idea that turns the tide against Cersei and her forces, since people have been making a (valid) point about him failing and being stupid.

Given the title of the ep, "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms", the scene where Brienne got knighted was cool, well written and performed. Top point of the episode for me for sure. But I fully expect Jamie to die in her arms now, or vice versa. I'll give full bonus points if that does NOT happen.

Overall, I think the two intro episodes has everyone ready for the bloodbath that's going to hit from the first minutes of the next episode.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I didn't mind. Gathering the team, reminding everyone about the team members/relationships/history and why this is a BFD in terms of what is coming. If they had tried to pack all that into one episode and then started the killing, it would have seemed thin and forced. Now everyone is primed for what is to come, characters and viewers alike. The pacing worked with the long layoff in particular. Binge watching the series a year from now, likely not so much.

I do think the dialogue has been a bit less than it could have been. No specific examples, just a bit less than in the past. A bit more predictable. Sansa/Daenerys in particular was... weak dialogue.

And the "kill the evil leader and all their minions die" is so common, I have to wonder if that is a GRRM plot point. Maybe it is, given that the set up is no matter what happens there's still a 20k strong army to deal with. And I have a feeling that Tyrion might have a "smart" idea that turns the tide against Cersei and her forces, since people have been making a (valid) point about him failing and being stupid.

Given the title of the ep, "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms", the scene where Brienne got knighted was cool, well written and performed. Top point of the episode for me for sure. But I fully expect Jamie to die in her arms now, or vice versa. I'll give full bonus points if that does NOT happen.

Overall, I think the two intro episodes has everyone ready for the bloodbath that's going to hit from the first minutes of the next episode.
    Well, I get that they're setting the stakes, and there's a LOT of characters to run through while doing so. That said, there's GOOD set-up, and there's hit-or-miss set-up.

The first ep was the former, and the second was the latter, IMO. Some good moments, but some disposable ones as well. Possibly it could've all been done in one 'super-sized' episode (like the four we're about to get), thus giving us more time for all the carnage and intrigue and shock and awe to come. Just my personal pref.

I am worried that they're going to run out of time and not be able to wrap it all up satisfactorily. My guess is that not only some stuff, but maybe a lot of stuff, is going to get thrown out the window. Such as GRRM's comment that in the last book or two, we were going to be taken 'farther North than we'd ever gone before'. Maybe to the Land of the White Walkers or somesuch?

Stuff like that may've bitten the dust far as the series is concerned, and we'll never know for sure until GRRM ever (hahaha) finishes (lololol) the final two books (teeheehee).

Would love to be wrong about that.

Do agree with you that it shouldn't be as easy/cliche as just killing the Night King to win the war. There has to be some sort of twist or surprise there, some unexpected X-factor.

But hey, in Lord of the Rings, they said from the very beginning that the way to win was to chuck the ring into Mount Doom... and by golly, about 1500 pages later, they did exactly that. Maybe sometimes it does have to go according to hoyle.
    But that just seems so very un-GRRM-like, doesn't it?

gazing from the shadows
    Well, I get that they're setting the stakes, and there's a LOT of characters to run through while doing so. That said, there's GOOD set-up, and there's hit-or-miss set-up.

The first ep was the former, and the second was the latter, IMO. Some good moments, but some disposable ones as well. Possibly it could've all been done in one 'super-sized' episode (like the four we're about to get), thus giving us more time for all the carnage and intrigue and shock and awe to come. Just my personal pref.

I am worried that they're going to run out of time and not be able to wrap it all up satisfactorily. My guess is that not only some stuff, but maybe a lot of stuff, is going to get thrown out the window. Such as GRRM's comment that in the last book or two, we were going to be taken 'farther North than we'd ever gone before'. Maybe to the Land of the White Walkers or somesuch?

Stuff like that may've bitten the dust far as the series is concerned, and we'll never know for sure until GRRM ever (hahaha) finishes (lololol) the final two books (teeheehee).

Would love to be wrong about that.

Do agree with you that it shouldn't be as easy/cliche as just killing the Night King to win the war. There has to be some sort of twist or surprise there, some unexpected X-factor.

But hey, in Lord of the Rings, they said from the very beginning that the way to win was to chuck the ring into Mount Doom... and by golly, about 1500 pages later, they did exactly that. Maybe sometimes it does have to go according to hoyle.
    But that just seems so very un-GRRM-like, doesn't it?

I think the real way to judge the first two eps is by what happens next. Some of those elements might have set up... things. We'll see. We'll see lots of them die of course but it might be that those (few) who survive, and their actions later, will give a call back to ep 1-2. For certain I would rather have the slow beats now than at the end, RotK style.

2 was better than 1, so let's hope that trend continues. And I expected nothing much from 1, given that after season 1 the first episodes have been pretty slow.

I think they have time to deal with the two big plot points left: Winterfell/Nightking battle, and whatever happens with Cersei and her sailor boys. Those will determine who ends up on the iron throne, which is why I don't include them with the other two.

5+ hours of screen time is two long movies worth. That leaves time for the two main things, plus a bit of loose end tying, plus some victory "celebration". As much as celebrating can be done with the entire kingdom in shambles. They have time, they just need to execute.

Really though, I am hoping for an adequate ending. Anything beyond that will be bonus as far as I am concerned.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 252627