'Game Of Thrones' Has Belatedly Pwned Me... - Page 32
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 303132
    gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I got a whole Hitler Nuremberg Rally vibe from it, ...
    Yep. Strongly so. On point, but rather obvious as much of the symbolism of the final season was.

I will say the shot with Drogon's wings behind Dany was cool.

Hmmm, what else?

Tyrion got to "see something others missed", putting Bran forth to solve the problem posed.

I think Drogon didn't torch Jon because Targaryan blood is dragon controlling. So he couldn't.

The final season was pretty good at times, but mostly felt like "good fantasy". Which was quite a few levels down from the previous seasons. Better as a whole than I EVER would have expected going in, so there's that.

And.... glad it's over.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Just to show how far away I'd gotten past GoT over the past year or so, I never had the slightest idea who the young guy in the wheelchair was; the guy who always sat silently during the scenes where the bigwigs would have their confabs, a bemused expression on his face. I nicknamed him "The Beatle" after his haircut. I truly had a laugh when the guy was proclaimed the new leader of Westeros. Huh? Wha?
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Wow, meme #1 is actually real. And the petition is nearing 300K signers now.

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-...petent-writers
    Petition has now passed 1.3 million signees. LOL.

Ah, Benioff and Weiss, it's gonna be hard for you live Seasons 7-8 down. And rightly so.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did Ė peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    You do know that if universal expansion keeps pace and Super Black Holes evaporate over trillions of centuries, that this is the fate of the known Universe in a long drawn out but foreseeable future. yay!
    Don't know what drugs you're on but I want some.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did Ė peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Sigh. Too depressed about the 'Cliff Notes version of Game of Thrones' finale (and season) that we got to even delve into all the things that sucked about it (or even the few things that were cool). Maybe in a couple of days.

But yeah, Benioff and Weiss rushed to the finish over the past two seasons, and it really REALLY showed, most especially in the finale. They really shortchanged the biggest show on TV, and will always be remembered for that.

Star Wars fans, good luck with your franchise, pretty sure B&W are going to ruin it too once their trilogy of SW films shows up, beginning in 2022 as scheduled.

And, since some would say that the SW franchise is already on pretty shaky ground thanks to a long string of mediocre films, perhaps B&W will wind up killing it off entirely. Which'll be impressive in a morbid sort of way, as even Jar Jar Binks couldn't quite accomplish that.

Wheee.

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Sigh. Too depressed about the 'Cliff Notes version of Game of Thrones' finale (and season) that we got to even delve into all the things that sucked about it (or even the few things that were cool). Maybe in a couple of days.

But yeah, Benioff and Weiss rushed to the finish over the past two seasons, and it really REALLY showed, most especially in the finale. They really shortchanged the biggest show on TV, and will always be remembered for that.

Star Wars fans, good luck with your franchise, pretty sure B&W are going to ruin it too once their trilogy of SW films shows up, beginning in 2022 as scheduled.

And, since some would say that the SW franchise is already on pretty shaky ground thanks to a long string of mediocre films, perhaps B&W will wind up killing it off entirely. Which'll be impressive in a morbid sort of way, as even Jar Jar Binks couldn't quite accomplish that.

Wheee.
    Few thoughts,

1) B and W cannot do any worse throwing mud on a legacy that the prequels did or Solo a star wars story did or having Leia Mary Poppins her way ship to ship in TLJ (an abomination of a film we get it RJ you didn't like star wars, just don't shiat on it for the rest of us).
    2) I think B and W were in a no win situation, to tell the story Martin style would have meant more seasons more development all with a cast that was over it, some had become stars and just wouldn't be around anymore.
    3) The success of the show hurt itself in the end. I remember how HBO talked about stretching the budget years ago on the season finale about the first assault on King's landing. Now they had the budget to show a completely destroyed city--but in doing so, the impact of Dany and Jon's final visit with one another becomes too small--too anti-climactic.
    4) As a book reader first, I know that if Martin actually finishes (HA!) the books and doesn't decide on a different ending then the gaps that BandW had to leave for time will be filled in for us, so there is that.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Thatís the thing I kind of dislike about television and film franchises to be honest. They suck us in, take up a considerable amount of time, emotion, and energy, promote all of this build up and hype that they can rarely live up to, and then leave us feeling disappointed and/or sad in the end. On more than one occasion I have had to stop myself from getting caught up in the hysteria and hype over the years and remind myself that these are just shows, just entertainment, and as much as I enjoy them, I have other worthwhile interests that are probably a better use of my time and energy. Given that realization, I am fine with how Thrones ended. It was a fun ride while it lasted and if B and W destroy Star Wars at this point, meh. Iíve gotten decades of enjoyment out of the franchise already. On to other and new things, just like the cast and crew....
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Thatís the thing I kind of dislike about television and film franchises to be honest. They suck us in, take up a considerable amount of time, emotion, and energy, promote all of this build up and hype that they can rarely live up to, and then leave us feeling disappointed and/or sad in the end. On more than one occasion I have had to stop myself from getting caught up in the hysteria and hype over the years and remind myself that these are just shows, just entertainment, and as much as I enjoy them, I have other worthwhile interests that are probably a better use of my time and energy. Given that realization, I am fine with how Thrones ended.
    The media is constantly fishing us for the nest LOST or GOT or Modern Family... and as you said, they often FUBAR viewership by bailing if the ratings ain't there (I was sucked in to an old series "Believe" (among others) that simply went away one scheduled night... and I've heard that "Blindspot" barely made a final season commitment(started strong, then got GOOFY)).

The industry throws out chum and see's how many sharks congregate at one spot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Game of Thrones Finale: Daenerys Deserved a Better Ending | Time

This covers a lot of the issues I had with how they handled Dany despite being a much bigger fan of Jonís character.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post

This covers a lot of the issues I had with how they handled Dany despite being a much bigger fan of Jonís character.
    Nice.

feelin' Freddie Mercury

feelin' Freddie Mercury

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post

yep.

Before I read all that I kind of felt pretty satisfied with Season 8. I loved how it sped things up almost to feature film pace, and the fight scenes very big and amazing. The outcome makes sense too.

But of course the show needed to do more foreshadowing of Dany's dark side in earlier seasons to make this ending work better. And the incompetency of Tyrion in season 8 is baffling too.. yet he continues as Hand, but that is a minor niggle. Everything else makes sense to me and I quite enjoyed it
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I think in the future, when television historians (or just plain reviewers or reg'lar folks) discuss 'biggest missed opportunities ever', Season 8 of GoT will be the benchmark for all fumbled final seasons to come.

Sadly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    The signing off vignettes could've only been more drecky had they paused them and added text saying what happens to each character in the future, ala 'Animal House.'
    Sorry for quoting myself, but as usual the Internet is able to provide in better fashion than my imagination:

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    ^ hahaha, that's genius.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 303132