Geetar Playin

Thread: Geetar Playin

Spicy Dumpling

Geetar Playin

I've had a guitar a few times in my life. But only enough to learn C,G,D,F and a few minors enough to play a few easy songs. I'd play a while, give up and sell the guitar.

Around Christmas I decided to try again, made a deal with the missus. Buy a cheap guitar and if I stick with it 6 months I could get a decent one. Bought the bikes-direct version of guitars, an Orangewood and really fell in love with playing again. And youtube was able to help me get at least better than I was before. While cheap the orangwood was a LOT better than my old yamaha. I missed 2 days of playing in 6 months.

In July the MIssus gave me the approval and I checked out Martins, Yamahas and Taylors. I ended up with a Taylor 114e which I LOVE. Gonna sell the orangewood and get something for travel like a baby taylor or even baby orangewood to replace it.

I'm hooked, fingers are callused and although progress is slow I'm trying to learn the basic barre shapes and trying to get better with my strumming and fingerpicking.
    I even played with someone else for the first time which I loved and didn't struggle as much as I thought I would.

Who else?
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Devoid of all flim-flam

Enjoy Yourself

I had to use both my fingers and toes to add it up, but I figured out I've been playing guitar for over fifty years. I still love it to death. I uncork my Gibson L-00 acoustic and play the thing practically every night. Enjoy yourself! And don't worry. Your fretting fingers will eventually callous up, allowing you to play 'till dawn.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Hey Vaughan, very cool. Kudos to Melly for the upgrade.

Pandemic caused me to spend a lot more time with the git fiddle and unleash my latent high school hard rocker. I dusted off my Ď86 Gibson SG, bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo to play through GarageBand on my Mac. I already have a decent set of speakers connected to it. I now, thanks to Grageband, have all the effects pedals I couldnít afford as a kid and been having a blast recording some songs and laying down some rhythm tracks so I can shred some almost gnarly solos.

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    Hey Vaughan, very cool. Kudos to Melly for the upgrade.

Pandemic caused me to spend a lot more time with the git fiddle and unleash my latent high school hard rocker. I dusted off my Ď86 Gibson SG, bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo to play through GarageBand on my Mac. I already have a decent set of speakers connected to it. I now, thanks to Grageband, have all the effects pedals I couldnít afford as a kid and been having a blast recording some songs and laying down some rhythm tracks so I can shred some almost gnarly solos.
    Coolio! Don't know nuthin about them thar 'lectric geetars but it sounds great.. I would like to be able to record some of my stuff eventually. Solos are out. I'm a simpleton at this point. I'm playin me some John Prine, Todd Snider and Tyler Childers, more pickin' than shreddin.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

RoadBikeReview Member
    I started playing after retiring a couple years ago, taking lessons once a week and learning lots. Got Cort Earth70 to for my starter. I'm really sure my technique is the major limiter for now in sound quality but get something nicer if/when I am more skilled. Right now working on a couple tunes with bends, not quite there yet. My instructor gives me plenty of fun tunes that have me learning new techniques of picking and strumming, slides etc as we go. Most of the music 60s/70s rock classics for acoustic and blues too. Plenty of work on finger drills and scales too. I've found a few interesting youtubes that do a good job walking through learning different pieces too. Very much liking it, my family gets a little tired of me playing the same things over and over while I try to master them, but for now they tolerate me!
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I had to use both my fingers and toes to add it up, but I figured out I've been playing guitar for over fifty years. I still love it to death. I uncork my Gibson L-00 acoustic and play the thing practically every night. Enjoy yourself! And don't worry. Your fretting fingers will eventually callous up, allowing you to play 'till dawn.
    I've had guitars a few times in my life but only with a Mel Bay book and a few songbooks and never a lesson except for my uncle showing me C,G,D & easy F. It was a good base when I started up again this year and now with youtube I'm getting a bit better. And DocRogers has helped me a lot as well.

I had good callouses within a month of starting up again. Fighting the barres but I'm a lot better than I was six months ago. The Missus ears don't bleed quite as much as when I started.

What the Hell is going on

Fender P-Bass

Does it go to 11?

I'm in same boat. Since the pandemic I started messing around with my basses. Don't have anybody to jam with so I mess around with a video game called "Rocksmith". You use an actual guitar (or bass in my case) and follow the notes. It won't teach how to be a musician but it's fun.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA View Post
    I've had a guitar a few times in my life. But only enough to learn C,G,D,F and a few minors enough to play a few easy songs. I'd play a while, give up and sell the guitar.

Around Christmas I decided to try again, made a deal with the missus. Buy a cheap guitar and if I stick with it 6 months I could get a decent one. Bought the bikes-direct version of guitars, an Orangewood and really fell in love with playing again. And youtube was able to help me get at least better than I was before. While cheap the orangwood was a LOT better than my old yamaha. I missed 2 days of playing in 6 months.

In July the MIssus gave me the approval and I checked out Martins, Yamahas and Taylors. I ended up with a Taylor 114e which I LOVE. Gonna sell the orangewood and get something for travel like a baby taylor or even baby orangewood to replace it.

I'm hooked, fingers are callused and although progress is slow I'm trying to learn the basic barre shapes and trying to get better with my strumming and fingerpicking.
    I even played with someone else for the first time which I loved and didn't struggle as much as I thought I would.

Who else?
    Ooh nice.

I started playing when I was 16 but there is a huge gap of about 20 years in the middle where the guitar sat in the closet. I basically started from zero 8 years ago. I play just for fun, sometimes I lay off for months. I just started playing again after not really playing for 2 years. Mrs69 suggested I hang the guitars on the wall and thatís what really did it - Iíve been playing for several hours each day and seriously trying to improve the technical aspects and relearn songs I havenít played for a while. Iíve even gone back to my college days playing rock and roll and blues and Iím amazed at how much has come back even after 30 years. I replaced the 30 year old strings on my Les Paul (my first ďrealĒ guitar, a 1982 Studio which I bought in 1986. I replaced the PAF Gibson pickups with a pair of Ultrasonics designed by Bill Lawrence. I originally wanted Seymor Duncan but the guy at the store steered me to these and Iím glad he did). Anyway, itís had more playing time in the last month than the last 30 years. Also replaced the Gretchbuckers on my G5120 with a proper set of Filtertrons.

Right now I have the Gibson, a Breedlove acoustic (which if you like Taylor, youíd like Breedlove), the 5120, and a Gretsch Honeydripper single cone resonator, which I like but itís like a black paint job on a car - shows all the flaws.

Also have a Univox Unicord 720 420 and an old Traynor practice amp. The two electrics sound great.

I mostly play ragtime and Kentucky Thumb picking type stuff but Iíll try just about anything. The problem is finding people to play with.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage