Darling of The Lounge
    Too bad it wasn't Limu the Emu.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    getting that carcass out of there is pure yuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    It says, "when the iguana darted in front of him"
    You can swap out that creature with another such as squirrel and this would apply to just about everywhere in the states.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I almost macked badly after I ran over a squirrel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had a squirrel dart under my bottom bracket. I don't know how but nothing touched it, not a tire nor crankarm nor chain or chain wheel. I don't know who was luckier, it or me.
    Too old to ride plastic

Opus was just napping
    For the longest time..."Hump day YEEEAAAHHH" was my alarm.

I get up at 4:45 every morning. Mrs. TMB was not a fan.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I was in Puerto Rico a few years ago and those things were all over the place. Some of them get huge. Instead of dead squirrels littering the roads, there was dead iguanas.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Screaming Doug needs to get taken out by the Gecko.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    At least he didn't skid in "Flo" (too far???)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Instead of dead squirrels littering the roads, there was dead iguanas.
    In a neighborhood near mine, there was a hawk (not sure who brought it or how). A few months later, no more squirrels in that area. Maybe same can be tried there.

Huge in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I almost macked badly after I ran over a squirrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I had a squirrel dart under my bottom bracket. I don't know how but nothing touched it, not a tire nor crankarm nor chain or chain wheel. I don't know who was luckier, it or me.
    Probably 20 or so years ago I was descending at just under 50 mph and had a squirrel enter the roadway a ways ahead doing what squirrels do; changing its mind 20 times a second and darting back and forth. I felt like I was watching my demise in slow motion. Sure enough it darted right in my line and I was too scared to do a full on bunny, or I guess, squirrel-hop so I picked it up maybe an inch if that. After I felt both tires thud I looked back and its dead body was cartwheeling in the air. I didn't die that day but it might have taken the rest of the day to unclinch.

I hate squirrels.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    squirrels are, without a doubt he dumbest mammal on the planet. I do find if you yell at them they are less likely to do their standard double-back maneuver in front of you

a story of love
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Chain’s right, the real problem with those (never-ending and awful) commercials is desperate, unfunny Doug.

I want the CGI emu to peck him to death while he screams about insurance, and then defile the corpse.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SS: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Chain’s right, the real problem with those (never-ending and awful) commercials is desperate, unfunny Doug.

I want the CGI emu to peck him to death while he screams about insurance, and then defile the corpse.
    I'm not sure how a screaming idiot is supposed to entice me to buy their insurance. Do they really think that I go looking for screaming idiots when I go looking for value and service for insurance.

Only pay for what you need... Doug, I don't have to pay for the mute button.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    I'm not sure how a screaming idiot ...

Nor a caricature artist, overdubbed struggling actor, calve implanted road biker, witness protection participant...

Not many commercials have dissuaded me from ever buying a product but LM continues to put out a whole stream of them.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Nor a caricature artist, overdubbed struggling actor, calve implanted road biker, witness protection participant...

Not many commercials have dissuaded me from ever buying a product but LM continues to put out a whole stream of them.
    I keep trying LibertyBibberty.com so I can sign up, but it doesn't work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post

Between Geico, Progressive, LM and Allstate, I think I have literally seen 100,000 ads on TV, radio, internet and even sky-banners. They must have data they says these ads work but I have never been compelled by them to call or switch. How can all of them be saving me "$500 on average". Who are the guys charging $500 more?

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    squirrels are, without a doubt he dumbest mammal on the planet. I do find if you yell at them they are less likely to do their standard double-back maneuver in front of you
    not the dumbest, that went to my yellow dog. She never did master ther concept of squirrels can climb trees. It was a riot to watch, you coud read the cartoon bubbles over her head "WTF???????????, where did he go?" while the squirell hung on the tree smacking his forehead sayinf "DOH"

I miss her so much.......
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    not the dumbest, that went to my yellow dog. She never did master ther concept of squirrels can climb trees. It was a riot to watch, you coud read the cartoon bubbles over her head "WTF???????????, where did he go?" while the squirell hung on the tree smacking his forehead sayinf "DOH"

I miss her so much.......
    We have a big Newfoundland that loves to chase squirrels. She is not very fast so they usually get away easily. Last summer we heard some barking. Dog is pawing and sniffing at something next to the tree. I look and there is a dead squirrel with tooth punctures on both sides its its abdomen. I guess she caught the squirrel off guard

Frog Whisperer
    We have a big Newfoundland that loves to chase squirrels. She is not very fast so they usually get away easily. Last summer we heard some barking. Dog is pawing and sniffing at something next to the tree. I look and there is a dead squirrel with tooth punctures on both sides its its abdomen. I guess she caught the squirrel off guard
    and was seriously disappointed that it wouldn' get up and play..... my lab would carry a bird around in her mouth for a half hour until I made her spit it out, Then it would fly away. She always had the "please sir, may I have another?" look on her face.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

a story of love
    Between Geico, Progressive, LM and Allstate, I think I have literally seen 100,000 ads on TV, radio, internet and even sky-banners. They must have data they says these ads work but I have never been compelled by them to call or switch. How can all of them be saving me "$500 on average". Who are the guys charging $500 more?
    Yup, all the insurance companies are advertising non-stop, and the ads vary from okay to excruciating.

Allstate’s ads have become almost as bad as Liberty Mutual’s. Allstate seems to have decided that B-list actor-pitchman Dennis Haysbert is a huge celebrity (he’s not), and are really playing up his ‘status’ in the ads.

To paraphrase the movie Mean Girls: “Stop trying to make Dennis Haysbert happen. Dennis Haysbeart isn’t going to happen.”
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Yup, all the insurance companies are advertising non-stop, and the ads vary from okay to excruciating.

Allstate’s ads have become almost as bad as Liberty Mutual’s. Allstate seems to have decided that B-list actor-pitchman Dennis Haysbert is a huge celebrity (he’s not), and are really playing up his ‘status’ in the ads.

To paraphrase the movie Mean Girls: “Stop trying to make Dennis Haysbert happen. Dennis Haysbeart isn’t going to happen.”
    I would imagine being Dennis Haysbert or Flo from Progressive is a pretty good job though. Not having to work everyday, making good money. Easy peasy

a story of love
    I would imagine being Dennis Haysbert or Flo from Progressive is a pretty good job though. Not having to work everyday, making good money. Easy peasy
    Oh, for sure. And it’s not just the B-listers making bank in commercials.

Mila Kunis is hawking liquor now, J.K. Simmons sells insurance, and Paul Giamatti is pitching Volkswagens.

Am now just waitin’ for Meryl Streep or Dame Judi Dench to show up in a Depends commercial.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just think how much cheaper insurance would be if none of those companies advertised?

And now we have Zebra.com, and I've see another like them - which I think are more of third party brokerages for insurance. I'm pretty sure that whatever they brand channel you to through their website, they get a cut. That's how Expedia works. More people getting their fingers into the pie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast