...is an awesome Clash album.

End Transmission.
  • 06-14-2007
    Bocephus Jones II
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bikeboy389
    ...is an awesome Clash album.

End Transmission.

Actually one of my least faves of theirs. Some really good stuff (1st 3 songs are great), but lots of filler. Julie's in the Drug Squad is a terrible song. Guns on the Roof...meh. Cheapskates sucks.
  • 06-14-2007
    bikeboy389
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Actually one of my least faves of theirs. Some really good stuff (1st 3 songs are great), but lots of filler. Julie's in the Drug Squad is a terrible song. Guns on the Roof...meh. Cheapskates sucks.

I like it as a whole. You're right about the first few songs, though--super extra awesome. I LIKE Julie's in the Drug Squad.

Mostly, though, it comes at me as a unit rather than individual songs, and I dig it.

Maybe I just love the Clash and mentally celebrate whenever their stuff comes on the iPod.
  • 06-14-2007
    VaughnA
    I saw the headline, thought of that album but didn't expect that would be the subject of the thread. It is a good one but nothing beats London Calling. One of the best albums ever, period.
  • 06-14-2007
    atpjunkie
    Like Akira Kurosawa
    an 'average work' of the Clash is still better than most folks best work
  • 06-14-2007
    Fredke
    "Stay Free" is a great song. Period.

Ditto "Safe European Home"

I also like "All the Young Punks" quite a bit, although it's not great.

And I disagree about "Julie." It's certainly not great, but can you really dislike a song that includes these lyrics?
    You could have been a physicist.
    Now your name is on the mailbag list.
    Much is indeed forgettable. Guns on the Roof, Drug Stabbing Time, Cheapskates.
  • 06-14-2007
    VaughnA
    Agreed,

Oddly enough my wife just doesn't like London Calling, but she loves "The Clash" (US Version). She usually hates fast, rough stuff like on The Clash, but for some reason she likes it. I prefer London Calling. I lost my old Give'Em Enough Rope Cassette and haven't heard it in years. I may have to pick it up again..
  • 06-14-2007
    Bocephus Jones II
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredke
    "Stay Free" is a great song. Period.

Ditto "Safe European Home"

I also like "All the Young Punks" quite a bit, although it's not great.

And I disagree about "Julie." It's certainly not great, but can you really dislike a song that includes these lyrics?
    You could have been a physicist.
    Now your name is on the mailbag list.

Much is indeed forgettable. Guns on the Roof, Drug Stabbing Time, Cheapskates.

I had gotten London Calling first and it really sold me on the Clash. Picked up the first album and Black market clash next. Both great. Picked up Give em enough rope and it was by far the least consistently good of the bunch. Still not bad, but would have to put it about even with Combat Rock as "worst" Clash albums. I don't consider "Cut the Crap" to even be a real Clash album so that would definately be last. Sandinista has some clunkers, but jeez...a 3 album set? Talk about overreaching and still coming up great. Probably would have been even better as a 2 album set minus the clunkers.
  • 06-14-2007
    rufus
    I like Guns on the Roof. Love the "Can't Explain" chords, which i've been playign around with a bit on the guitar. Not well, but it's fun to play them, and I'm getting better. My neighbor's gone for the weekend, so I was able to turn the amp way up and really mess around with the different pick up positions and volume settings while bashing them out.

a different producer might have made this a better album.
  • 06-15-2007
    Bocephus Jones II
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rufus
    I like Guns on the Roof. Love the "Can't Explain" chords, which i've been playign around with a bit on the guitar. Not well, but it's fun to play them, and I'm getting better. My neighbor's gone for the weekend, so I was able to turn the amp way up and really mess around with the different pick up positions and volume settings while bashing them out.

a different producer might have made this a better album.

Clampdown is really easy...

intro...D, E, A.....then A, D, G, A...then a quick D/A to finish the "Clampdown" part. repeat...bridge is an E and something else...can't recall what then repeat the ADGADA again.
  • 06-15-2007
    Fredke
    Give 'em Enough Rope was my first Clash album. Bought it the year it was released and it was very exciting. Then I got The Clash and that was clearly better, but I still had sentimental attachment to Rope. When London Calling came out I loved that. Didn't really like much they did after that (Rock the Casbah? triple-meh!), though, so the first three continue to be my reference points for The Clash.

Rope is inconsistent but from where I was when it came out, the good material on it blew my doors off and I still listen to it regularly. Lots of filler, but Stay Free continues to be one of my favorite Clash songs and it alone justifies the album.
  • 06-15-2007
    Bocephus Jones II
    Quote:

Give 'em Enough Rope was my first Clash album. Bought it the year it was released and it was very exciting. Then I got The Clash and that was clearly better, but I still had sentimental attachment to Rope. When London Calling came out I loved that. Didn't really like much they did after that (Rock the Casbah? triple-meh!), though, so the first three continue to be my reference points for The Clash.

Rope is inconsistent but from where I was when it came out, the good material on it blew my doors off and I still listen to it regularly. Lots of filler, but Stay Free continues to be one of my favorite Clash songs and it alone justifies the album.

Sandinista is probably my 3nd fave Clash album...I'd rate them:

London Calling (A classic...one of my top 10 albums of all time)
    The Clash (so different from the others--sticking [mostly] to the punk formula of the time but hints of things to come...some rate this as their best, but I like the range of London Calling better)
    Sandinista (Huge range here...the band at its most experimental phase)
    Combat Rock/Give 'em Enough Rope (Tie...good songs on each but inconsistent)
    Cut the Crap (barely listenable)
  • 06-15-2007
    Fredke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    London Calling (A classic...one of my top 10 albums of all time)
    The Clash (so different from the others--sticking [mostly] to the punk formula of the time but hints of things to come...some rate this as their best, but I like the range of London Calling better)
    Sandinista (Huge range here...the band at its most experimental phase)
    Combat Rock/Give 'em Enough Rope (Tie...good songs on each but inconsistent)
    Cut the Crap (barely listenable)

I agree with London Calling at the top of the list and The Clash as #2.

I think about "The Clash" differently from you. You see it as straight punk formula, but I see more than just hints of what was to come.

Two of my faves from that record are the cover of Junior Murvin's Police and Thieves and White Man In Hammersmith Palais. Those resonated with things like Prince Far I's Under Heavy Manners that I was listening to in those days, as well as presaging the two-tone Ska revival that emerged a couple of years later.

Clapton may have covered I Shot the Sherriff, but the Clash were the first white boys I heard who really got reggae. For me in 1978, hearing this was major.
  • 06-15-2007
    Bocephus Jones II
    Quote:

Clapton may have covered I Shot the Sherriff, but the Clash were the first white boys I heard who really got reggae. For me in 1978, hearing this was major.

Agree...they took it from the realm of dope smoking rasta-wannabes who liked the Marley groove to the protest music that it really was.
  • 06-15-2007
    rocco
    These are must haves... imagine an 80 year old rocco grooving The Gun of Brixton
    The Clash - 1st album
    Sandanista!
    Black Market
    London Calling