The Great USA Bike Shortage of 2020
    a little too stoked

The Great USA Bike Shortage of 2020

MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

a little too stoked
    excerpt:

(ps - have no idea why the RBR hamsters made this post have a ton of non-deletable white space, aka 'The Void' )

Some bicycle shops in Brooklyn are selling twice as many bikes as usual and drawing blocklong lines of customers. A chain of shops in Phoenix is selling three times the number of bikes it typically does. A retailer in Washington, D.C., sold all its entry-level bikes by the end of April and has fielded more preorders than ever in its 50-year history.

As the coronavirus pandemic shrinks life in major American cities — limiting pastimes and discouraging use of buses and subways — hundreds of thousands of Americans are flocking to one of the most basic forms of mobility: the bicycle.

In March, nationwide sales of bicycles, equipment and repair services nearly doubled compared with the same period last year, according to the N.P.D. Group, a market research company. Sales of commuter and fitness bikes in the same month increased 66 percent, leisure bikes jumped 121 percent, children’s bikes went up 59 percent and electric bikes rose 85 percent.

By the end of April, many stores and distributors had sold out of low-end consumer bikes. Now, the United States is facing a severe bicycle shortage as global supply chains, disrupted by the coronavirus outbreak, scramble to meet the surge in demand.

“I have never seen anything remotely approaching this,” said Ryan Zagata, president of Brooklyn Bicycle Company, where sales have soared by more than 600 percent this year compared with the same period in 2019. “If you went into a store three weeks ago you could find a bike under $1,000. Right now shelves are bare.”
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    My local bike shop -- its a chain of 5-6 stores in the DC area -- has a line out front every day I drive by. When this all started, I called them thinking they needed some business and asked about them doing some work on one of my bikes. The guy who answered the phone said the mechanics are staying at home. I went down there in the middle of the day on a weekday a few weeks later to buy some sealant. There was a line to get in at the front, and a line behind the store for repairs. I asked the mechanic if they were busy -- he said busier than ever. And the weather around here has absolutely sucked for bike riding over the last two months.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I plan to start hoarding bikes, just as soon as I clear away a wall of toilet paper

RoadBikeReview Member
    I plan to start hoarding bikes

Way ahead of ya!

There was a line several stores long to get into our local bike shop (caters to the casual rider/families.) Let's hope this gets more people to get on board.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I have a ‘14 Cannondale mountain bike on eBay. I was hoping to get around $1100, it has bid to $2200.