The greatest luxury
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Back from the dead

The greatest luxury

What would be your greatest luxury? If money were no object, what one really expensive thing would you splurge on?

For me, it would be a private jet. I can't stand waiting in airports. Waiting to checkin, waiting to go thru security, waiting to board, waiting in line to board, waiting for everyone else to board and stow their crap, waiting to taxi, waiting to takeoff, and reversing the whole process when the plane lands.

With a private jet, I'll never have to worry about missing a connection again, because I'll never have to connect with anything! If I want to fly from San Jose directly to Grenoble, France, that's what I'm going to do, instead of taking the three separate planes I had to take last time I went. If I want to fly directly to Telluride, Colorado, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to draw a straight line from my home to any place with a runway, and I'm flying directly there. We might have to land for gas somewhere, but that's okay. I'll probably be asleep in my super luxurious seat/bed when that happens!

With a private jet, I could go when I want, where I want, and not have to deal with all those lesser folks standing in all those lines! No crappy airline food. No crying babies. No fat guys spilling over half of my seat. And forget about those scam bike fees. On my private jet, I don't even have to disassemble the bike!

For me, the greatest luxury is complete freedom in air travel.

Feb 2004
    A large sailing yacht. Just cruise around and visit exotic ports of call without any set agenda.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Jan 2004

A few acres and Lemond's Montana cabin...on the beach

Saw a Travel Channel thing on a "cabin" (several times as big as my house, it looked like) that Greg Lemond owns in Montana, I think it was. It's a little too forcedly country for me, but I'd take it on about 50 acres of land on the Oregon coast. Or just give me the land and I'll manage to get a house on it somehow.

Misfit Toy

A 3 bedroom flat in Santana Row

It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

angel of the morning

to move around & have time to is luxury for me ...

for me Luxury is;

Time to sleep properly
    Eating simply (preferably cooked at home) but taking time with it & with friends/family
    Having time with my girl - laughing, fooling around, talking
    being around for sunrise & sunset ie not in a car, meeting, at work
    watching great films, sport on TV, reading the papers front to back, books, listening to music & dancing round the house
    riding my bike on those perfect days - slightly crisp, sunny, with lots of trees
    being the first in the water for an early surf
    tooling around on an old car with my dad
    gardening with mum - the queen of fresh vegetables
    smoking meats & cheezes and making homebrew grappa with my uncle
    to be working / taking pictures
    being able to visit friends wherever they may in the world
    being able to pack up & go - whenever, wherever
    meeting people - the more different walk of life to mine, the better

a luxurious life ...

spend 1 month a year (half in June & half in August) in Bingin, between Padang & Uluwatu in Indonesia - staying in a warong (thatched roof, mosquito net, no power) surfing, reading, fishing & hanging with a local family that i have known for some 18 years. my second family if you will. best full moon place in the world.

feb, march & april here in Sydney - end of summer, water is warm, great surf & just easy days, happy people & the best food from all over the world. as a big modern city Sydney has it down - picturesque, diverse, climate by God. clean too. road trips to empty beaches & bush is obligatory & easy.

september in NYC - cliched autumn in new york but its just so beautiful. many friends there, art season starts kicking in, a place that fascinates me even more now that its no longer home. still heartbroken & feel a need to be with friends during that time. everything & everyone is beautiful. go alone.

London, Wales & the Scottish highlands round christmas time - again friends, but its also a time when London isnt dreary and the real beauty & charm of the people comes out. oh how fine it is to be cosy, eating a roast, enjoying a good scotch or port and watching football with friends in the highlands or the welsh country side. fireplace obligatory (no sun).

Oahu, Hawaii in January - heavy, awe inspiring waves. nothing more beautiful or amazing than watching waves at Pipeline. I dream of them & always remember the wave & sounds in troubling times. People are filled with love & mana. Challenging big surf makes everyday life issues seem so petty & small. If i could choose a place to die it would be the ocean. Came close.

Nothing beats Rio & Salvador Bahia, Brasil for Carnaval - all people, young & old, all cultures, excitied, dancing & singing like no others can. best party in the world. Fueled on Pao de Qeije, Feijoada & plenty Caipirinha's. who needs sleep?

Lausanne & Zurich in may. spring doesn't get finer than in switzerland - bike riding heaven. ahh ... them roads. best trains. fine architecture & great art scene. swiss peep's are very empathetic & show admirable democracy & appreciation for all ideas & philosophies. Best nightclub I have been to in my life was in zurich - 4 stories underground !!! and then there is the cheese & chocolate .....

Mexico city & Oaxaca in november - sometimes i think i am mayan in a former life. i dont normally eat a lot but in mexico my appetite is insatiable - for tequila too (Don Julio Plata please). beautiful people, generous to a fault even when they have little. Puerto Escondido is the only place where i seem to drink beer. easy to skip over to Cuba too. Havana is orgasmic if you dig music.

Late June & early July in Sarajevo ... was born there during that time, always inspired by my family & the heart & nobility of the locals. best humor world wide that ive encountered. crazy, funny & cool to sit in a cafe all day & night & talk, laugh, sing & cry. little of the world knows what a shame this fantastic city & people got shat on so much. dont go if carbs & meat aint your thing or if you have liver problems. hope to open a gallery & cinema there one day.

Late july - early august in Barcelona & Provence - nice, hot, sexy - food, friends & plenty wine, more great bike time. Fresh pressed olive oil, jamon to die for - everything tastes ... y'know actually tastes ...... somehow, once its put into a bottle or flown half way round the world it just aint the same. Barcelona - vibrant city, Provence - perfect countryside. trips to Seville just to walk around & take in its splendor. Sensual. If your gonna retire & live a good life Provence & most of Spain is the place to be. Close to lots of places if you wanna fly out.

October, Surfin Couldbreak in Fiji - best fish, warmest people in the world. ive cried saying goodbye to people i only met that day. kava aint my thing though, too quesy. Happiest kids ive ever seen.

Then there is Marrakesh. I never felt cooler than smoking a hookah with some old guys with whom i couldnt share a word with, in a coffee shop watching the World cup (France won) & eating sweets & drinking great coffee, whilst wearing a fez & traditional galabea. colours are amazing. beautiful artisanry.

Inbetween more on the road - when not hanging by the beach at home in Oz or on the farm with folks. I dont have much but I feel as rich as a king for having worked & traveled and befriended many beautiful people. If you wish - just go & work it out when you get there. So what if you get stuck or run out money ... most times thats when its best & most interesting/fun & you learn lots about yourself. After being away from Oz for close to 8 years its good to be Home(?).

A perfect recipe for luxury is for somewhere thats sunny with good food, friends, music and somewhere to surf or ride my bike. oh .... even though im pretty simple & not very materialstic I would love a nice hotel suite with balcony during the Formula 1 in Monaco. Im talking magnums & jeraboems of vintage bubbly too, finest fois gras, pounds of truffles, caviar & the best fruit de mer that Brittany has to offer. some top drawer nose toot would be nice too - just like James Hunt ;-) Whilst I dont really enjoy extravagance I did spend one night at the Dorchestor in London - for the same price I could have travelled through 5 small countries, but it was worth it for the debaucherous company of a now very famous stranger I had met that very evening (or was it morning). Always brings a smile to face & a stirring feeling in my pants. Never saw her since, 'cept in magazines & the TV. She & the people in the adjoining suites, if not the whole floor all know my name.

I happy & have everything luxury I need. Im grateful & I see beauty in all places & people. I guess im lucky in that each new place i visit seems familiar. I used to be a career-head with more assets than anyone I knew but i wasnt happy. Now im relatively poor but far happier than most. I still dont have my own bed. Luxury is being able to change direction in your life. Having time to enjoy the simple things is luxury. You have to live before you die.

places still to visit (when im older & grown up a little) Roma & the Vatican, India & Nepal, Mecca, Athens, Jerusalem, Cairo. All of Africa. ahhhh ..... Luxury with the Gods.
    I watched him walking in and it was like they say, you know, he kind of glowed. Like a ray of light was around him. A kind of Jesus. - Spirito (interviewing Spirito)

http://instagram.com/ciclispirito

Strained coccyx etc etc

i'm with you, spirito (nm)

zero msg
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Windrider (Stubborn)

Generally, I think Spirito's got it..........

The greatest luxury for me is time. I might do some different things than Spirito (but that may be because I have an imagination limitation), but I agree with the spirit of spending time doing things valuable to me.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Jun 1999

definitely time

Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    The greatest luxury for me is time. I might do some different things than Spirito (but that may be because I have an imagination limitation), but I agree with the spirit of spending time doing things valuable to me.

Len
    If I could have my present income (adjusted for inflation) for the rest of my life, without working, and therefore free up half my waking life, I'd be very happy.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DougSloan
    If I could have my present income (adjusted for inflation) for the rest of my life, without working, and therefore free up half my waking life, I'd be very happy.
    Of course it's time, but the original question was what "thing" would you buy if money was no object. I remember when I was contracting and making tons of bucks, but never had the time to do anything with it because I was always busy working and everytime I took a vacation or was sick I was mentally calculating how much money I was losing out on. Not healthy. It did come in handy when we made the downpayment on our first house though.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Jun 1999

ok

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones
    Of course it's time, but the original question was what "thing" would you buy if money was no object. I remember when I was contracting and making tons of bucks, but never had the time to do anything with it because I was always busy working and everytime I took a vacation or was sick I was mentally calculating how much money I was losing out on. Not healthy. It did come in handy when we made the downpayment on our first house though.
    The jet would be nice, assuming it comes with all the money for fuel, insurance, pilot, etc.

On a more practical level, I'd choose one or more each of about a dozen bikes. Don't know if that counts as one thing, but it's still far cheaper than a jet.

I might choose a (fast) helicopter over a jet, though.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by suonata
    I would have the end to this ****ing war on terror so that I could finally be with my fiancè again.

"Things" don't mean squat.
    exactly. things can't really make you happy. note the posts below. the ones that seem to resonate the most deal with time and family and friends. I wish you the best and hope that you are with your fiancé as quickly as possible.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones
    exactly. things can't really make you happy. note the posts below. the ones that seem to resonate the most deal with time and family and friends. I wish you the best and hope that you are with your fiancé as quickly as possible.
    Except that wasn't my question. My question was about THINGS. Things that only lots of money can buy. Fantasies. Things may not mean squat, but THINGs tend to occupy a lot of our dreams and fantasies. As eloquent as Sprito is, his response didn't answer the question either. Of course time is the greatest luxury. Everyone would love more time to do the things they love to do and to visit friends and family. But most of us can get more time by giving up THINGs. We can work less, giving up income, which usually means we have to sacrifice THINGs. We can even quit work and have all the free time in the world, but if we can't pay the bills, our THINGs will disappear fairly quickly. Time is a great luxury, but time isn't the answer to my question. Time is there for the taking.

As much as I want the war to end, that's not something I've ever dreamt or fantasized about. I may think about it a lot, but at night, when my head fills with dreams, the war has yet to make an appearence.

In my fantasy life, in my dream world, I have a private jet. In my real life, I don't.

Strained coccyx etc etc

ok hairy, here's an answer

a harem and a liquor store, next to my bike shop, in sedona.

how about that one?

and a jet helicopter, like do(u)g.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by J's Haiku Shop

how about that one?

by george, he's got it!

Jun 1999

man o man

a harem and a liquor store, next to my bike shop
    Sounds like far too much work. ;-)

Feb 2004

how about that one?

Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
    Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.
    Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
    Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money.
    Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.
    Lawrence: Well the kind of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.
    Peter Gibbons: Good point.
    Lawrence: Well what about you now? what would you do?
    Peter Gibbons: Besides two chicks at the same time?
    Lawrence: Well yeah.
    Peter Gibbons: Nothing.
    Lawrence: Nothing, huh?
    Peter Gibbons: I'd relax, I would sit on my ass all day, I would do nothing.
    Lawrence: Well you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Just take a look at my cousin, he's broke, don't do ****.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

gazing from the shadows

he did not say the shops would be OPEN!

Fully stocked and doors locked!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Jun 1999

shops?

Quote Originally Posted by dr hoo
    Fully stocked and doors locked!
    Who said I was talking about the shops?

Jul 2004

The first thing that popped into my head was....

Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    What would be your greatest luxury? If money were no object, what one really expensive thing would you splurge on?
    A new Ford GT. Make mine Red. My deam car. I joked with a co worker that I would trade my wife in for one. He said that he thought that should cover it. I responded that it would be a good down payment.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/home.asp?bhcp=1

Devoid of all flim-flam

The first thing that popped into my mind

The first thing that popped into my mind was a rambling apartment on the Via Giulia in Rome. With views of both the Via Giulia and the Tiber. With painted wooden ceilings.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

waterproof*
    A jet would be nice; having one of those opens up so many possibilities.

Also, boobies.
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hookers and blow.

Mehpic
    holy mother of thread dredges batman! oh hey look, a spammer!
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

Mehpic
    and, yes, i read all of what spirito wrote. amazing.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ugg boots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast