Ground bees in my back yard - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    GREAT!

This is going to lead to a gasoline/alcohol/fire resistant mutant strain of wasps...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve98501 View Post
    i returned home from vacation in Montana last Wednesday and decided the lawn needed mowing on Thursday. There was no yellowjacket nest in the ground when we left 10 days earlier, but when I ran the lawnmower over the hole (a former mole tunnel) they attacked. Lucky I was only stung four times.

I had a can of bee and wasp killer spray in the basement. Friday morning I sprayed the whole can into the hole. Problem solved. I don't like using toxics, but I go full tilt chemical warfare on mosquitoes, yellow jackets, and wasps. Fast forward to this afternoon and the neighbor tells me he got stung mowing his lawn just a couple feet from my fence that separates our yards. I'll swing by Lowes tomorrow and buy a couple more cans so we can go all Apocolypse Now on those little buggers.

Speaking of yard pests, the damn yard rodents - blacktail deer - have defeated my back yard fence six times this spring and summer. I fix one spot, and they find or make another. Deer spray is out of the question (tried it and didn't work), so I'm considering inviting all the bow hunters I know to sit on my elevated deck with their morning coffee and rain their arrows down on those formerly cute yard decorations. We're gonna' be wading in deer blood in the back yard come September.

Moles, yellow jackets, deer! This country living is hard work!
    Moles are the easiest... Get a 3"-4" piece of a sticker bush branch and insert it lengthwise into the tunnel. Moles don't see we'll and don't clot well.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    wgscott nailed it. You need to be concerned with the lookout. Good pesticide spray, I love the foam version, will do the little bastard in instantly. Dusk... Gas. Lots of gas. Match. Filthy little flying sacks of venom are cooked. I get them all the time. Sometimes they build huge nests. And as was said, they just get more aggressive as they feel their impending doom. The larger the nest, the more aggressive the bees. Once, when the situation allowed it, I pulled my car up near the nest and cracked the window. Unloaded a can of spray and rolled it up and backed away. They can sting through amazing protections. Even leather. Bee suits are designed to keep them off your skin. They will sting through the suit. Clothing won't protect you.

Just an FYI, only tangentially related. If you are dealing with hornets, European hornets (look kind of like yellow jackets on steroids) can see in the dark. Critical. Regular Bald Face hornets can't. Both use lookouts extremely efficiently and are super aggressive.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    LOL, I stumbled on this image reading up on these things...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    Saw a documentary about a pest control guy/company (all types of pests), and he sprayed "soapy water" on them.
    Soapy water? You mean he just diluted some Palmolive or Dawn liquid with water from Target and sprayed it? Maaan... Okay, it actually helps if your garden is overrun by stink bugs and centipedes, those really don't like soap...
    Okay, guys, what do you think about these traps? There are non-lethal ones, that's great because bees can be trapped accidentally too. You can free or even sell them later.
    Cats have 32 muscles in each ear, to help them ignore you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckyduck View Post
    Soapy water? You mean he just diluted some Palmolive or Dawn liquid with water from Target and sprayed it? Maaan... Okay, it actually helps if your garden is overrun by stink bugs and centipedes, those really don't like soap....

Yes...soapy water sprayed on the nest:

https://youtu.be/K-t5kbTyNWw

But then there is always the "molten" option:

https://youtu.be/IGJ2jMZ-gaI

https://youtu.be/UUezq1GyAko

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12