Ground bees in my back yard
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Schuylkill Trail Bum

Ground bees in my back yard

Some ground bees just moved into my back yard. The aggressive little bastards tried to sting my dog, and one got in my wife's hair.

So I need kill the son of a beeches.

I have Hot Shot, and have used it on nests of aggressive bees and wasps I can see, but not on ground bees. Also, I really hate using poison of any kind, and see it as the last of the last resorts.

My grandfather dealt with ground bees by pouring lots of gasoline down their hole at night, letting it soak in for a few minutes, then throwing a match in the hole. The bees that didn't burn to death in their beds would come flying out or stumbling out, on fire. Pop Pop may have had some anger issues.

So I'm looking for suggestions: fire? poison? or tell the dog and wife to harden the eff up?

Bill Dobie
    I use the same not so environmentally friendly method as your grandfather. Works great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Saw a documentary about a pest control guy/company (all types of pests), and he sprayed "soapy water" on them.

Neophyte
    Your firearms are useless against them.

You sound like a competent do-it-yourselfer, but any real aversion to calling the exterminator on this one? Aside from the fact that he's probably going to use super-poison or something?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Your firearms are useless against them.

You sound like a competent do-it-yourselfer, but any real aversion to calling the exterminator on this one? Aside from the fact that he's probably going to use super-poison or something?
    I'm a DIY guy.

I'd probably only call an exterminator for something like discovering a nest of half a million brown recluse spiders in my attic... something of horror movie dimensions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    No advice on eliminating them, but a decent story. Home on break from college, I was mowing my parent's lawn. No shoes, no shirt. Ran over a nest of ground bees. I must have gotten stung 50-100 times. I had to run about 50 yards to jump in the pool and those little bastards were stinging me the whole way.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
    No advice on eliminating them, but a decent story. Home on break from college, I was mowing my parent's lawn. No shoes, no shirt. Ran over a nest of ground bees. I must have gotten stung 50-100 times. I had to run about 50 yards to jump in the pool and those little bastards were stinging me the whole way.
    They seem to have a major beef with anybody who gets near their nest.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    Ground bees nest in dry soil, and avoid damp areas when choosing nest sites. The easiest and least toxic method of controlling ground bees is simply to water the area. As soon as you see ground bee activity, start soaking the area with a full inch of water per week. This is usually enough to discourage the burrowing females, and to make them relocate to drier ground. A thick layer of mulch on bare garden beds will also make ground bees think twice about nesting there.
    How to Identify and Control Ground Bees
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    one got in my wife's hair.
    lemme guess ...

B^)
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    Thanks for your first post... and to your second post, not quite that high.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
    I was mowing my parent's lawn. I had to run about 50 yards to jump in the pool and those little bastards were stinging me the whole way.
    Same thing happened to me without the stinging. When I ran away the mower was right over the hole and may have chopped up a few.
    Turned out that an old tree stump was covered with a couple inches of dirt and left a big cavity as it rotted away.

I used a whole can of that long-distance bee/wasp spray. Started about 12 feet away, walked forward and emptied the can right in the hole. Worked great, they never came back and it didn't affect the grass.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

banned
    Jul 2013
    These are wasps, not bees. Most likely yellow-jackets. Attack them at or near dusk. You need to take out the guard wasp first, or they will swarm you. This is best done by putting on as much clothing and face protection as possible, and then getting at least two cans of wasp spray. Plan an escape if something goes really wrong. Then take out the guard, and pump the whole can into the hole. Then come back in an hour and pump the second can in the hole. If you live where forest fires aren't a huge threat, consider filling the hole with gasoline and igniting it.

The best long-term solution is to poison the queen. Get this: https://www.amazon.com/Onslaught-Mic.../dp/B004HD7J2S

RoadBikeReview Member
    This works and is relatively environmentally friendly:

Buy a quart size bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol (Wally World has them). Go out at night, open the bottle, shove the top of it in the hole; leave the bottle there and move quickly away from the nest.

Of course, unlike gasoline; IPA will readily breakdown in the soil.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agree with wgscott....sounds like yellow jackets. These lil shi$$s will only get more aggressive in late summer. I'm talking real aggressive and the stings are very painful. I have developed an allergic reaction to the stings. Do you know the location of the hole?? And, more importantly, is it accessible and have an escape route for you?? Having had several bad encounters with the buggers, I would simply get a cup of gas and poor it down the hole at dusk as others have mentioned....it will be over quickly and you won't be paranoid about walking around in your yard.
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    They seem to have a major beef with anybody who gets near their nest.
    They are expecting the gasoline treatment.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post

The best long-term solution is to poison the queen. Get this: https://www.amazon.com/Onslaught-Mic.../dp/B004HD7J2S

$50 gets you a lifetime supply, and you can share it with your neighbors.

Farmguy
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonHowl View Post

Buy a quart size bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol (Wally World has them). Go out at night, open the bottle, shove the top of it in the hole; leave the bottle there and move quickly away from the nest.

Gas break down faster than hell with a match!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Finish your Beer, there are sober kids in India

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    i returned home from vacation in Montana last Wednesday and decided the lawn needed mowing on Thursday. There was no yellowjacket nest in the ground when we left 10 days earlier, but when I ran the lawnmower over the hole (a former mole tunnel) they attacked. Lucky I was only stung four times.

I had a can of bee and wasp killer spray in the basement. Friday morning I sprayed the whole can into the hole. Problem solved. I don't like using toxics, but I go full tilt chemical warfare on mosquitoes, yellow jackets, and wasps. Fast forward to this afternoon and the neighbor tells me he got stung mowing his lawn just a couple feet from my fence that separates our yards. I'll swing by Lowes tomorrow and buy a couple more cans so we can go all Apocolypse Now on those little buggers.

Speaking of yard pests, the damn yard rodents - blacktail deer - have defeated my back yard fence six times this spring and summer. I fix one spot, and they find or make another. Deer spray is out of the question (tried it and didn't work), so I'm considering inviting all the bow hunters I know to sit on my elevated deck with their morning coffee and rain their arrows down on those formerly cute yard decorations. We're gonna' be wading in deer blood in the back yard come September.

Moles, yellow jackets, deer! This country living is hard work!

Eddy 53:11
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonHowl View Post

I've done this exact method except with jet fuel (diesel). No need to light a match unless you wanna go big as the diesel kills them easily on contact. Great and instant results.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    May also be what are known as pygmy wasps down South. I got hit once while mowing the yard. Little buggers came boiling out of the ground like crazy. I got hit a few times. Not fun. As I recall, I used gasoline.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got 3 acres with the 2 of them being wooded that I made trails on for the kids to ride small dirt bikes. Last year my 2 youngest were riding when they both got stung by yellow jackets. I heard the screams and saw them running towards my wife, so like a dumbass I go to retrieve the bikes thinking they just crashed or something. Zap, got me too.
    Went back at dusk and saw them swarming 2 ground holes. Some gas in both went it got dark was all it took, and without the match.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

banned
    Jul 2013
    The match is to make the revenge sweeter.

Non non normal
    Sounds like yellow jackets. Wait until almost dark in the evening. Pour two tablespoons of Sevin in the hole. The bees with go in and out the hole and track the Sevin to the nest and kill everything. Sevin is used on your tomato plants so not so bad.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    They are expecting the gasoline treatment.
    I'll give them my sincerest promise that there is no gasoline treatment in their future if they stop trying to sting every living creature that gets near their hole.

But I'll have a can of gas and a pack of matches handy in case negotiations break down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve98501 View Post

Moles, yellow jackets, deer! This country living is hard work!
    Hey, I live in the city and have moles, yellow jackets, and a bear problem among other critters.

Varmints ain't just for country folks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast