Guys, do you hate doing guy stuff?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    eminence grease

Guys, do you hate doing guy stuff?

I just got in from having a roofing nail removed from my left front tire, and in doing so I got thinking about how much I hate doing "guy stuff." I, who can get up in front of 1000 people and be witty, charming and direct, dread going into guy places - gas stations, tire places, hardware stores - and putting on my guy face and hobknobbing with the guys. I can't stand the thought of doing it, I hate the planning and when I'm in there I feel like a square peg in a round hole. It's very strange and I'm wondering if other guys, from the softer side of the professional world feel the same way. Looking back, I've never fit in with guys doing guy stuff and the guys that hung out with me generally did so because I knew all the girls. Yet, I have no interest in labeling myself transgendered and going that route.

So guys? Man's man or someone whom the tire guy and his friends would stuff in a gym locker if given the chance?
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Power Napper
    oh I am going to love this thread.....

(first)
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    So guys? Man's man or someone whom the tire guy and his friends would stuff in a gym locker if given the chance?
    Lets see, do I get to pick the size locker I put you in?
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Strained coccyx etc etc
    i would and wouldn't really say i'm "from the softer side of the professional world", but i do not enjoy rubbing elbows in the mechanic shop, bait shop, hardware store, etc...feels like putting on airs.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    No problem here but women love me so no problem there. I'm on hour 8 of hospital orientation. I'm about to go insane....
    Dictated but not read.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by haiku d'etat
    but i do not enjoy rubbing elbows in the mechanic shop, bait shop, hardware store, etc...feels like putting on airs.
    Bingo, you're exactly right. I feel that way too, and I know I'm not. I certainly don't feel like I'm better than any of them but I feel like they feel that I feel that I am which I don't.

It's really ackward.

Shirtcocker
    I just got in from having a roofing nail removed from my left front tire, and in doing so I got thinking about how much I hate doing "guy stuff." I, who can get up in front of 1000 people and be witty, charming and direct, dread going into guy places - gas stations, tire places, hardware stores - and putting on my guy face and hobknobbing with the guys. I can't stand the thought of doing it, I hate the planning and when I'm in there I feel like a square peg in a round hole. It's very strange and I'm wondering if other guys, from the softer side of the professional world feel the same way. Looking back, I've never fit in with guys doing guy stuff and the guys that hung out with me generally did so because I knew all the girls. Yet, I have no interest in labeling myself transgendered and going that route.

I don't mind the things you mentioned, but I hate having to feign interest in things like most popular pro sports. Why is it that just because you're a guy you're supposed to keep up on all the sports scores and who did what on what team.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I am a heavy duty diesel mechanic by trade. There are women in the trade but I would call it manly stuff.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Just pile your man cards right over here
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Poseur
    HTFU, you sound like that car parts radio commercial with Owen Wilson(or his double).
    "Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, it makes you lean........against bars, tables, chairs, and poles"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    I don't mind the things you mentioned, but I hate having to feign interest in things like most popular pro sports. Why is it that just because you're a guy you're supposed to keep up on all the sports scores and who did what on what team.
    I don't even bother pretending to be interested.

I generally don't care for most guy stuff, but have learned to fake it on some fronts just so I have something to talk about with guys who are only interested in guy stuff

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT2222
    HTFU, you sound like that car parts radio commercial with Owen Wilson(or his double).
    Now you've hurt my feelings.

the fist
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT2222
    snappage.
    FlexiSexual

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    but I hate having to feign interest in things like most popular pro sports. .
    And then there's that.

My wife dragged me over to one of her horse pals house one day and shuffled me off to the living room to sit with the horse pal husband who was watching golf. He kept exclaiming, "These guys are studs, don't you think they're studs?!?!" and I was like, "Dude, I made the best Tilapia in Green Curry last night, you want the recipe?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    I feel more in place at Bed Bath and Beyond than Home Depot...

the fist
    It's difficult. I can do a bunch of the guy stuff...but in those situations...it's just weird. It's like they know i'm diff'rnt.
    FlexiSexual

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHenry
    It's difficult. I can do a bunch of the guy stuff...but in those situations...it's just weird. It's like they know i'm diff'rnt.
    They do, they fricking know.

Born from JortsŪ
    + 1 on guy places. Mmmm, hardware.

-1 on Pro sports chit chat

Dirty. Nerdy. Unemployed.
    I once got carpal tunnel from doing too much drilling. None of this nancy sitting on a computer for me.

I also have a beard at whim. How manly is that?

I also like to wear tight clothing and show off my smoothly shaven legs.

I didn't even own a cat..
    Are you living in a closet? Ready to come out?

I love guy stuff. I like tooling around a junk yard, talking cars, bicycles, tool stores. I'm not big on home improvement stores. I also like shopping with my gf and cooking too. I like anything that requires working with my hands and so does my gf....I don't fake it. I can fix my car or cook in the kitchen. If I don't like something then I say it. I enjoy watching sports with good friends but I don't get into watching alone.
    2008 Louis Garneau Sonix 6.4
    2002 KHS Flite 500
    1999 Gary Fisher Big Sur

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Well, I just spent the day putting brakes on all fours, rotating the tires and changing the oil in my car. I've been to the auto parts store, the hardware store and then to the gas station today too. On the way home I stopped at the grocery store to get some chops to toss on the grill...I guess that's sort of a guy thing too. FWIW, I don't like to hunt, fish or ride Harleys like some of my buds...I'd rather pedal bikes around .

Shirtcocker
    And then there's that.

My wife dragged me over to one of her horse pals house one day and shuffled me off to the living room to sit with the horse pal husband who was watching golf. He kept exclaiming, "These guys are studs, don't you think they're studs?!?!" and I was like, "Dude, I made the best Tilapia in Green Curry last night, you want the recipe?"
    I remember going to see The King's Singers (gay acapella group) perform in Denver with my wife and her friend and friend's new husband. About 15 minutes into the show we headed up to get a round of drinks. He asked if I wanted to skip out on the show and go to the strip club down the street with him because he was only there because his wife forced him to go--I thought he was joking, but he wasn't. We stayed for the show, but he acted all bored the whole time. Not surprisingly their marriage lasted less than a year. I actually enjoyed the show. The singers were awesome.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

eminence grease
    Why can't we be more like him?

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    They do, they fricking know.
    I think that guys who are over the top with that stuff are compensating for something.
    Dictated but not read.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    I like to do what's traditionally thought of as man stuff. I make stuff, I fix things, I think and talk about how sh*t works and how to fix it, and I'm a bit of a gearhead (though more in bikes, motos and guitar stuff than cars). I know my way around an internal combustion engine, even pretty fancy ones. I also like cooking and talking about feelings, design and clothes, so girl stuff isn't out of the question either.

Where guy stuff invariably breaks down for me is when the macho posturing or secks talk starts. I really don't like to get into who's tougher, and I especially hate talking about secks. Extra bonus negative points for talking about secks with someone I know. I do not want to know ANY details. Really.

I'm all in favor of the rude jokes--even extremely rude ones--but don't tell me in anything resembling seriousness about how you want to bang some chick or how you just got it off with your girlfriend. I don't want to know. And besides, I can already tell you want to bang that chick because of how obviously you turned and watched her butt instead of carrying on our conversation.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast