Happy New Year! My last ride of the year
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,073

    Happy New Year! My last ride of the year

    Happy New Year to all RBR'ers. Wishing everyone a safe and prosperous 2012. May your rides be safe and fun filled. Conquer those hills that knocked you down last year. Get those extra miles under your wheels that you wished you had this year. Break all your goals that you thought were impossible. And never look at a crappy ride as a bad ride as I found out after looking back on 2011 they were all good rides.

    My last ride of the year was simply awesome. Didn't think I was going to get started today as we all went to the Green Turtle last night and I had a few 22s of my favorite brew and some bar food. Was porcelain locked and dry docked most of the morning, but that got all sorted out. Got off to a late start, but I was out! The weather for a Maryland December was a beautiful sunny 62 and a bit windy. Definitely had to show off my hairy legs. Seems I was the only one out there not covered up and showing skin. All-in-all, a totally enjoyable ride that felt like a nice fall day with sun breaking through the trees and the aroma of the decaying leaves. Even the sight of the wildlife out enjoying themselves as well just made it perfect. I hope it is like this tomorrow and every day till spring.

    Anyway, wishing everyone the best in 2012. Have fun and please be safe!

  2. #2
    Born to chase Ducks
    Reputation: Don4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,732
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I cannot decide whether the seafoam green Lounge kit is cursed or a suit of armor that protects us...like a lycra St. Christopher's medal.

  3. #3
    S2H
    S2H is offline
    wut?
    Reputation: S2H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,589
    I rode today. It ended with a Superdawg! BAM!


  4. #4
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    I rode today. It ended with a Superdawg! BAM!

    Yah, I rode today too. That pic was not taken today. No blue skys in Chicago.

  5. #5
    2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Reputation: Henry Porter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,638
    My last ride of the year was on my new Salsa Casseroll. Took some pics for you guys.

    A big shout out to tarwheel2 as he was a great help in me picking out my new bike. Pics aren't the best because I only had my cell phone camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dictated but not read.

  6. #6
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,402
    nice bike Henry.

    Where were those photos taken? I ride through Dundee all the time. I dont think its the same Dundee though.

  7. #7
    Fred the Clydesdale
    Reputation: rider9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,807
    Happy New Year to the Lounge! Henry Porter - Nice Salsa Casseroll!

    My last ride was yesterday and I had an incident. At a turn, a car swerved over in my line and I had no choice but to slide on the trunk of that late model Marquee. I'm fine, but I think I bent the frame. My bike is at a LBS and they aren't even gonna look at it until Tuesday. Meh.

    Been looking at some replacement frames (just in case).

  8. #8
    2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Reputation: Henry Porter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,638
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    nice bike Henry.

    Where were those photos taken? I ride through Dundee all the time. I dont think its the same Dundee though.
    Dundee-Happy Hollow Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Dictated but not read.

  9. #9
    Master debator.
    Reputation: nOOky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,532
    Happy New Year all!
    I got only 25 miles in, it was 32 and windy and a respiratory infection is kicking my butt. But I went out for a token ride anyway.
    I'm not sure if drinking will help, but it can't hurt
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

  10. #10
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,973
    My last ride of the year was on the Pelizzoli, just completed in October. 2011 was a rough year for me....got hit by a car in January (thus the ability to purchase the Pelizzoli over the summer thanks to the settlement!), lots of personal BS, feeling old while my 19 y.o. son is doing so well. Like I said, 2011 had lots of pain & emotion. But here I am, alive and well. Rode the Pelizzoli this morning for the last ride of 2011 and it sang. It sang. I think it was the Ave Maria, actually. I cried. I cried during my last ride of the year. My dad died at the very end of 2010, my son (only child) is off at school across the country as of this morning at 5:00 AM...and I cried. I think my chain lube can handle human tears. Damn it. Damn it. And yet I am happy. Me, my Italian dream bike, and the road. Gin & tonics do seem to make this a bit easier to handle at this hour of the night. Happy new year! Happy new year! I have to feed the f'en cats?? WTH? Like they can't miss a meal for once in their good fer nothin' lives. WTH? WTH?? Get off my grass!! Except we don't have grass in southern AZ. Whatever. I love you guys. Damn, my head is going to be throbbing in the morning. But I'm going to ride anyway, and at sunrise. And you know why? Cuz that's how I roll, dude. That's how I roll.


  11. #11
    You Phillip mah census
    Reputation: sir duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,665
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    My last ride of the year was on the Pelizzoli, just completed in October. 2011 was a rough year for me....got hit by a car in January (thus the ability to purchase the Pelizzoli over the summer thanks to the settlement!), lots of personal BS, feeling old while my 19 y.o. son is doing so well. Like I said, 2011 had lots of pain & emotion. But here I am, alive and well. Rode the Pelizzoli this morning for the last ride of 2011 and it sang. It sang. I think it was the Ave Maria, actually. I cried. I cried during my last ride of the year. My dad died at the very end of 2010, my son (only child) is off at school across the country as of this morning at 5:00 AM...and I cried. I think my chain lube can handle human tears. Damn it. Damn it. And yet I am happy. Me, my Italian dream bike, and the road. Gin & tonics do seem to make this a bit easier to handle at this hour of the night. Happy new year! Happy new year! I have to feed the f'en cats?? WTH? Like they can't miss a meal for once in their good fer nothin' lives. WTH? WTH?? Get off my grass!! Except we don't have grass in southern AZ. Whatever. I love you guys. Damn, my head is going to be throbbing in the morning. But I'm going to ride anyway, and at sunrise. And you know why? Cuz that's how I roll, dude. That's how I roll.

    A Happy New Year to you too. That's motivated me to get off my arse and on my bike for a spin around the city (it's already New Year's afternoon over here in Tokyo). Think I'll be be keeping the legs covered, though.
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

    I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

    Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

  12. #12
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by sir duke View Post
    A Happy New Year to you too. That's motivated me to get off my arse and on my bike for a spin around the city (it's already New Year's afternoon over here in Tokyo). Think I'll be be keeping the legs covered, though.
    With the time difference it's still 2011 here but isn't it like 2013 in Tokyo? Did we make it? I mean, did we make it past 2012? The Mayan calendar and all... we need to know!

  13. #13
    Boobies!
    Reputation: paredown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,062
    wide awake and thinking about the New Year--potlucked with neighbours and shared a nice meal, then walked over to some other neighbours and had some desert and beverages.

    Love that bike azpeterb--I think that we the living as we get older are always grappling with the awareness of loss--parents, or my lovely wife who lost her sister far, far too young, and asks often 'why her and not me?'

    But when you are on your bike, wind in your face and sun on your back, you are alive and feel like a kid again, and you feel invincible, like you will live for ever.

    If there is a heaven, I hope it is like a good day on the bike!
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

  14. #14
    180
    180 is offline
    .*`*.**.*`*.
    Reputation: 180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,041
    Happy New Year All! Glad you're ok
    rider! Hope your bike is back up and running soon. Check with your pals for a lender maybe ;)

    I road where I always ride but it definitely felt different being the last day of the year. I tried to reflect on things a bit and put to rest what no longer serves. I'm so excited for a fresh start! Happiness, health and peace to you all.

    Here's a few pics from today:
    Last edited by 180; 01-01-2012 at 07:51 AM.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    188
    Still waiting for 2012 to arrive. Rode to work then road to beach with the wife about 28 miles total for the day. Happy New Year to all
    Don`t let technology stand in the way of progress, ride a 1 gear bike.

  16. #16
    Batteries not required
    Reputation: BunnV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,035
    Happy New!
    My first post of 2012 (West coast time)
    2012 Orbea Orca Gold. SRAM Red, Rolf Prima Ares 4
    2007 Orbea Orca. SRAM Force, HED Ardennes
    2010 Masi Soulville. SRAM Apex, Ritchey, Fizik
    2014 Felt F65X 'Cross SRAM Rival / Apex Avid disc brakes

  17. #17
    You Phillip mah census
    Reputation: sir duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,665
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    With the time difference it's still 2011 here but isn't it like 2013 in Tokyo? Did we make it? I mean, did we make it past 2012? The Mayan calendar and all... we need to know!
    Some of us did, some of us, well ......
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

    I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

    Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter View Post
    My last ride of the year was on my new Salsa Casseroll. Took some pics for you guys.

    A big shout out to tarwheel2 as he was a great help in me picking out my new bike. Pics aren't the best because I only had my cell phone camera.
    Very nice bike! What is the chain doing on the small ring? You know that is not allowed.

    Sometimes I wished I had that small chain ring!

  19. #19
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,073
    Quote Originally Posted by rider9 View Post
    Happy New Year to the Lounge! Henry Porter - Nice Salsa Casseroll!

    My last ride was yesterday and I had an incident. At a turn, a car swerved over in my line and I had no choice but to slide on the trunk of that late model Marquee. I'm fine, but I think I bent the frame. My bike is at a LBS and they aren't even gonna look at it until Tuesday. Meh.

    Been looking at some replacement frames (just in case).
    That truly sucks!!! The good thing is you got your accident out of the way early and lived to tell about it. I'm glad you are OK. Hopefully you'll never have another encounter with an automobile. Happy and safe riding to you.

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,073
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Happy New Year all!
    I got only 25 miles in, it was 32 and windy and a respiratory infection is kicking my butt. But I went out for a token ride anyway.
    I'm not sure if drinking will help, but it can't hurt
    I know the feeling, my sinuses get to kicking when I ride in the cold dry air. Yesterday was perfect and no respiratory issues for me.

  21. #21
    Call me a Fred
    Reputation: MikeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16,998
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    ... But here I am, alive and well...
    Any year that you can end with that statement was a good year.
    Mike

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

    Sleepy John Estes

    H

Similar Threads

  1. 20 year old ride, 20 year old bike, 42 year old fat guy.
    By crossracer in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 10:13 PM
  2. Happy New Year, etc.
    By S2H in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 05:48 AM
  3. Happy New Year!
    By RoadBear in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 09:10 AM
  4. Happy New Year (Of The Rat)
    By sir duke in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-03-2008, 01:10 AM
  5. Happy New Year Everyone
    By Bertrand in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 10:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.