Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Zaphod Beeblebrox
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    what's her name?
    Dinner.

Went pretty good, I've never cleaned a bird myself and it's been almost 20 years since we raised chickens.
    From what I've heard playing a banjo is an easy way to get into your sister's pants

-TWB8s

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by DLMKA View Post
    Went pretty good
    I love that word, "dispatch"... You had to do it, or chose to do it? Fresh, that's for sure. I did a Bourbon Red a couple of years ago when we had Thanksgiving here and it was excellent. Really tasted like turkey, rather than not much.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
    Quote Originally Posted by kykr13 View Post
    I love that word, "dispatch"... You had to do it, or chose to do it? Fresh, that's for sure. I did a Bourbon Red a couple of years ago when we had Thanksgiving here and it was excellent. Really tasted like turkey, rather than not much.
    We were at the apple orchard a couple weeks ago and they had a sign up selling turkeys, it was one of the boys 4-H projects or something but you had to take em alive. All the toms had been spoken for so we claimed a hen and picked it up Saturday. We didn't have to do it, we could have got a grocery store buzzard like nearly everyone else. I figured it would be a good learning experience for all of us.
    From what I've heard playing a banjo is an easy way to get into your sister's pants

-TWB8s

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

I'll be on the road

if I had to venture a guess it might be fast food so someone at my family gathering will need to gather up a plate of food for me and drop it off at the house

Master debator.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Own Private Idaho View Post
    Roast turkey, following my annual 50 mile Thanksgiving Day ride. I put the bird in before I go, and eat it when I get home.
    I like this. It's supposed to be 52 here Turkey day, I told the family that I'll start cooking after I get a ride in. They can wait and snack and watch football in the interim.
    I'd like to make it a tradition, but sometimes Thanksgiving here can be cold and snowy/icy.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

flinty-eyed moderator
    Got a Flintstones sized Prime Rib, red skinned smashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing, steamed green beans, steamed white and yellow corn, and several different pies ala mode along with my homemade cranberry relish.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by DLMKA View Post
    Dinner.

Went pretty good, I've never cleaned a bird myself and it's been almost 20 years since we raised chickens.
    I hate cleaning birds....they got gross stuff inside...

I buy empty ones!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Lobster, baked potato and corn-on-the-cob. Desert is TBA.

My wife and I usually spend TG together with no other friends/family. To make a traditional TG dinner is a lot of work and a lot of food for two people. A few years ago we hit on the Lobster idea. It costs about the same as a traditional spread (we get 1.75# Lobsters), doesn't take anywhere near the time to prepare, is a snap to clean up after, no having to eat leftovers for the next two weeks and doesn't require a couple hours in a coma to get over.

This year we're having two guests. One is going with Lobster, but the other, for some perverse reason, wants a pound of Snow Crab.

Go figure. There's no accounting for taste.

Master debator.
    It's almost here, another turkey day. We are cooking, and even making a sweet potato dish with pecans some lounger posted a few years back.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Frog Whisperer
    20 pound bird thawing in the fridge, sweet pataters at the ready, lots of cranberries, stuff for pies (apple blueberry and punkin) and a bag of "mini punkins" for my daughter and i to stuff full of m-80's......it's a holiday tradition!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    The usual, mostly, plus I'll make homemade spinach noodles, rolled out by hand with my Nonna's old rolling pin. That's a bit of family tradition for this 50% Italian.

\m/{-_-}\m/
    I'm planning on camping and mountain nnc-ing in the Western NC mountains all weekend. Thanksgiving dinner will be the Chinese buffet in Brevard, assuming they're open. I love the irony!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanksgiving menu:

1. Turkey
    a. BRT breast
    b. 6 Thighs
    c. 2 drumsticks
    2. Gravy
    a. Necks
    b. Stock
    c. Mire poix
    3. Roasted butternut squash with pearl onions
    4. Roasted haricot vert with pancetta?
    5. Rice pilaf
    a. Pine nuts
    b. Birdís nest pasta?
    6. Artisan bread stuffing
    7. Amazing homemade cranberry sauce
    8. Desserts
    a. Apple/Blueberry Crumble
    b. Pecan Pie
    c. Chocolate Cream Pie

EEC
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I should add my bread recipe because most everybody that eats it raves about it.

3 cups self rising white flour (or 3 cups flour, 3 tbsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt)
    3-4 tbsp honey
    3-4 tbsp sugar
    1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
    1/4 cup raisins
    1 can cranberry Sierra Mist soda or similar

bake in a glass bread pan at 375 for 50 minutes. It will come out similar in texture to banana bread.
    Sounds very tasty. I might try making this. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Brined fresh turkey breast, then cooked on the outdoor charcoal rotisserie with some apple wood for smoking. Grilled shrimp (butter, garlic, dijon & sweet soy prior to grilling) for an apetizer. Oyster stuffing, potatoes, gravy, grilled asparagus, green bean casserole, pumpkin cheescake. And some O'Fallon pumpkin beer to wash it down with.
    - Character is what you are in the Dark - Dwight L Moody & Dr Emilio Lizardo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    To OP, I make a simple green bean dish that is always a big hit - called "not your mother's green beans".
    Chop a couple of shallots and fresh parsley. Toast some pine nuts. Steam green beans for just a few minutes so they are still crisp. Mix everything together and toss with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Very nice.

Not Banned
    I cooked 2 Turkeys this weekend for a T-Giving themed campout. Brined and then smoked with apple wood for 7 hrs. They were awesome
    I tend to dislike sweet potato dishes that are made sweeter. I prefer them savory. Make mashed taters from equal parts regular, sweets and yams. Make and mash them separately. Then put all three in a large bowl and then swirl loosely so they don't blend
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am already sick of T-day foods.
    We have already had my work meal, left overs and my wifes work meal with left overs.
    Thursday will be eating with my folks, Friday with my wifes family.
    More than likely have left overs for those as well.

For what I am making. Not much. I do Christmas dinner for everyone, about 25 people.

My contrubitions will be brussell sprouts, crawfish dressing and mac & chees (made with gruyere, Emmenthaler and sharp cheddar).

Since T-day goes on forever for us I need some suggestions for a non typical Christmas dinner for a bunch of folks. My side of the family would prefer more traditional but....
    Would like to include wild turkey I hope to harvest.
    I am also considering grilling cornish hens for everyone.
    Did a fried ducks a few years ago that was a hit.

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sadly, my post this year is the same as last year. Skiing on Thanksgiving day, Thanksgiving dinner on the hill, although this year that will be followed up beverages and hot tubbing with some friends. Happy Thanksgiving to me .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Turkey and all the fixing and these bottles of wine, this is the addition to my holiday stash. Picked these up yesterday at local wineries
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hanging 10 bra
    Well since everyone is planning on coming to my house (its a huge house with tons of TV's haha) I get to cook a good deal

Tofu Turkey (special reciepe)
    Blackened Mahi Mahi
    Huge raw Veggie tray
    different veg dishes
    Cornbread dressing (yuck, wife is southern haha)

Other family:
    REAL Turkey
    Smoked Ham
    I am sure tons of casseroles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaciel View Post
    Turkey and all the fixing and these bottles of wine, this is the addition to my holiday stash. Picked these up yesterday at local wineries
    Looks nice. We always drink Beaujolais Nouveau with the turkey. It's become a little seasonal tradition with us.

"El Bwana"
    Manicotti for most of the family and baked gluten-free penne (for the daughter who has lost 15 lbs on a gluten free diet) with the super secret PDex meat gravy. Bread, wine, and a flour-less chocolate cake for dessert.

We're pretty non-traditional on Thanksgiving.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    The cooking has begun!

#thanksgivingprep

😀

EEC
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

Always changing.....
    Probably pizza or tacos.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast