• 11-18-2011
    nOOky
    Happy Thanksgiving, what's for dinner?
    What's everybody making for the big meal?
    I'm keeping it simple. Turkey soaked in a brine of my design, cooked on the grill, stuffing out of a bag in said turkey, smashed red taters and gravy, acorn squash, scalloped corn, cranberry/raisin bread, some type of green vegetable, and probably Grands biscuits out of a can.
    I'm always looking for new recipes if anybody has anything unique that uses a green vegetable.
    I might make also cauliflower, cook it and mash it up and add butter and sour cream.
    I'm going to try and ride before I start cooking, makes me feel better about stuffing myself like a sausage.

(And don't forget to be thankful for whatever you do have rather than what you don't have!)
  • 11-18-2011
    paredown
    I'm the dessert guy since we are sharing with neighbors.

PIE! Pumpkin and Granny Smith apple from scratch--pastry recipe from Silver Palate

Tart: Cranberry walnut tart: from the Gourmet "Best desserts" issue--chopped walnuts and cranberries on a sweet tart base--like a Grenoble tart with cranberries added.
  • 11-18-2011
    nOOky
    I should add my bread recipe because most everybody that eats it raves about it.

3 cups self rising white flour (or 3 cups flour, 3 tbsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt)
    3-4 tbsp honey
    3-4 tbsp sugar
    1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
    1/4 cup raisins
    1 can cranberry Sierra Mist soda or similar

bake in a glass bread pan at 375 for 50 minutes. It will come out similar in texture to banana bread.
  • 11-18-2011
    QED
    Sadly, I live in a city where everyone else has a family to share Thanksgiving with, my family is thousands of miles away. But since it is an El Nina year and we just got a great batch of new snow...I am thinking SKIING for Thanksgiving dinner. And then maybe restaurant fare somewhere.

The sad part is, I love to cook a big Tday meal and can make pie worthy of a blue ribbon at a county fair.
  • 11-18-2011
    DLMKA
    I'm picking up a Bourbon Red heritage turkey tomorrow and I know it's fresh because it'll be walking still when I get it. We'll probably be in charge of apple pie and home-made dinner rolls, my dad makes blueberry and mom does the pumpkin. We have a lot of different squash from the garden so I'm sure we'll be eating that along with some green beans. Pretty basic and traditional but everything is homemade and fresh.
  • 11-18-2011
    azpeterb
    Junior Mints and a Diet Coke at the movie theater for me.
  • 11-18-2011
    Creakyknees
  • 11-18-2011
    weltyed
    roasted pesto turkey is the only "cool" thing. i might smoke a turkey breast or do a ham as well. i usually make buttermilk potatos rolls, but the inlaws are buying/bringing rolls this year. it will be sad without the tator rolls..

i will also be doing pumpkin pie. might do the pumpkin cheesecake again, but that is everywhere now. maybe the family tradition of bana cream and coconut cream pie will make an appearance...

and beaujoulais nouveau
  • 11-18-2011
    JustTooBig
    I have no idea, we're going to College Station to have T-giving at my daughter's place. Considering her cooking skills, my prognostication is that we'll be eating out ...

For dessert, the Aggies will be serving up a big ole' heap of clobbered longhorns. We'll be there.
  • 11-18-2011
    terry b
    Turkey plus Sichuan green beans.Trying out new recipes for mashed sweet potatoes and chocolate pumpkin pie.
  • 11-18-2011
    Chico2000
    one of my favorite meals of the year. traditional- turkey,stuffing,mashed potato, cranberry sauce, etc
    the last 5 have been at my in-law's...not bad(he over cooks turkey) but nothing has ever been as good as Thanksgiving at Grandma's house. Damn, those were the good old days.

wife has promised to make a stuffing that she made a few years back (pre-kids) sausage and dried cherries or something like that...sounds weird ..but it's damn good! can't wait:D
  • 11-18-2011
    Sledgehammer03
    I'm doing the turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes. I will also do some rolls, even though I'm not supposed to. I will also consume too much beer.
  • 11-18-2011
    PDex
    We'll be ordering out.

Paradox Pizza - Moab, UT Home
  • 11-18-2011
    bigolddeerhunter
    Shrimp, oysters, and fish. We gave up on the turkey years ago. We cook the turkey in the summer and have a bunch of folks help eat it. There is only two of us and a turkey at T-givng would go to waste. We have been known to have BBQ at this time of the year. One year we had crawfish etouffe (sp?).
  • 11-18-2011
    Fordy
    Maybe untradtional
    We'll be visiting family in New Mexico. Fresh fish is not real available so we will hand carry something from our fish monger. I'd like to buy a whole halibut, maybe a big salmon fillet. Whatever looks freshest. This is a gift so it may or may not be Thanksgiving dinner. It's up to our host....
  • 11-18-2011
    kykr13
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    taking the fam to a classy joint.

Creaky is a 6%er.

Going to MIL's and haven't been asked to make anything. Seeing as they're vegans (gasp) I'm guessing the turkey will have a lot in common with:
  • 11-19-2011
    ohvrolla
    corn

bread

dressing

and plenty of it.
  • 11-19-2011
    DLMKA
    1 Attachment(s)
    Our Bourbon Red. We'll get her cleaned Tuesday evening and into brine straight away.
  • 11-20-2011
    moschika
    We don't have T-day dinner. We have T-day lunch! Usually sit and start eating around 11:30 or 12. Then eat all day long.
  • 11-20-2011
    My Own Private Idaho
    Roast turkey, following my annual 50 mile Thanksgiving Day ride. I put the bird in before I go, and eat it when I get home.
  • 11-20-2011
    bigrider
    I am cooking for 20 plus people.

I am starting out with a salad with a light raspberry dressing and granny smith apples
    next will be shrimp bisque
    after that the standard fare of turkey, stuffing, potatoes, beans, kraut, carrots, etc.
    I am baking three different breads including dinner rolls, cornbread, and rye bread.
  • 11-20-2011
    MarkS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    I am cooking for 20 plus people.

I am starting out with a salad with a light raspberry dressing and granny smith apples
    next will be shrimp bisque
    after that the standard fare of turkey, stuffing, potatoes, beans, kraut, carrots, etc.
    I am baking three different breads including dinner rolls, cornbread, and rye bread.

Sauerkraut for Thanksgiving. A Sauerkraut Thanksgiving: In the Magazine : bonappetit.com One of the many quirks that I love about my hometown. Every cart at the supermarket yesterday had the requisite sauerkraut in it.

Now, not all saurkraut for the Thanksgiving table is alike. Grandma S put polish sausage and caraway seeds in her sauerkraut. Grandma H put pigs feet and barley in her sauerkrant. My mother puts pork spareribs in hers. I vary my recipe, sometimes I use sausage, other times I use spareribs. The only thing about which I am adamant is that the sauerkraut cannot come from a can, There used to be a place at Lexington Market where one could but sauerkraut directly from a barrel. I now use the stuff than comes in a plastic bag.
  • 11-20-2011
    KoroninK
    Deep fried turkey, cranberry sauce, cresent rolls, stuffing, pumpkin pie. Even that is a bit much for just too people. When I lived in Charlotte it was easy to find a small bird (under 10lbs) this year the smallest I could find was 12lbs. We'll be eating left overs for a good while.
    I'll make pumpkin bread sometime in Dec.
  • 11-20-2011
    Touch0Gray
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DLMKA View Post
    Our Bourbon Red. We'll get her cleaned Tuesday evening and into brine straight away.

what's her name?
  • 11-20-2011
    Chain
    We made the noodles today. My mom would normally make them but they are out of town for a funeral. She already made the pies and sweet potatoes. She will make the stuffing and cook the bird.