Hey, I was on Jeopardy.
    Devoid of all flim-flam

Hey, I was on Jeopardy.

Alex Trebek's death prompts me to reveal my moment of quiz show celebrity. It was sometime in the 1980's, maybe '85 or '86. Came in second. Won a trip to the Bahamas. The resort treated me and Sogno like VIPs. I recorded the show on VHS cassette. I still got the cassette, itself, but the tape inside dried and flaked away a good ten years ago. Plus, who has a machine to play it on?
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Alex Trebek's death prompts me to reveal my moment of quiz show celebrity. It was sometime in the 1980's, maybe '85 or '86. Came in second. Won a trip to the Bahamas. The resort treated me and Sogno like VIPs. I recorded the show on VHS cassette. I still got the cassette, itself, but the tape inside dried and flaked away a good ten years ago. Plus, who has a machine to play it on?
    Sean Connery, is that you?
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Donald Trump has never won a popular vote in a governmental election.

There are over 13 million covid cases in the United States (as of Thanksgiving), eleven months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I saw that episode!

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Cliff Clavin, is that you?

"Who are people who have never been in my kitchen?"

That is pretty sweet. I tend to dominate every trivia contest I'm engaged in, but have never been beyond the bar trivia and Trivial Pursuit level.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Umm.....I thought that the only thing you win on Jeopardy is money; $2k if you come in second, $1k if you are third.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Umm.....I thought that the only thing you win on Jeopardy is money; $2k if you come in second, $1k if you are third.....
    They did it differently 35 years ago.

I took the online test last year and never heard from them.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Luckily, I lived in L.A., where the show was/is taped. Every few months or so the show would host mass auditions where they'd hand out written trivia tests. Those who pass the tests do a live audition. I aced the written test & audition and before long I was on the show.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Luckily, I lived in L.A., where the show was/is taped. Every few months or so the show would host mass auditions where they'd hand out written trivia tests. Those who pass the tests do a live audition. I aced the written test & audition and before long I was on the show.
    That's very cool.
    My kids and I have been regular watchers of the show for the past 4 or 5 years now, great family time although you do miss a few questions as you explain earlier ones.
    RIP, Mr Trebek.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Non non normal
    I have been on here so long I remember your final jeopardy question was about languages.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    I have been on here so long I remember your final jeopardy question was about languages.
    A question that will live in infamy. I gotta say, though, I'm finally over it enough to be able to sleep at night. Partly because I'd certainly no longer have the bauble I would've blown the prize money on.

Banned forever.....or not
    Don't make fun of VHS......I still have two machines that can play them....One of them can even record. I've got at least 50 tapes that I recorder moves on, but haven't watched them in 20 years. I use the basement player to run bike race tapes while I'm on the trainer, in the winter... I'm not a complete luddite. I've got DVD players, and stream Netflix.
    I think that I even have a few blank VHS tapes.
    Like I said, I'm not a luddite, just a pack rat. I have even kept wheel covers from 50's cars that I drove into the ground in the 60's.....Who knows when SU carbs might come back in style.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!