Hey lownje - road trip suggestions
    Ricardo Cabeza

Hey lownje - road trip suggestions

Not to steal Opus' thunder, but we've been thinking about what our big summer adventure will be this year. Last summer we took a 3 week road trip to CA through New Mexico and Arizona. To use an overused term, it was epic. Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Chaco Canyon, Route 66, Sacramento, San Fran, Disneyland, etc. The kids acted like they hated it but I caught them having fun when they thought no one was looking. They will definitely remember it.

We are thinking about something similar for this summer, but not sure which direction to go. Any favorites? Not asking for a detailed itinerary, just a direction, and why. The girls are not really into camping (unless you define "camping" as a $50/night hotel)
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Not Banned
    Do the Utah/AZ/CO blast. Monument Valley (Hotels Near by, can also hit Navajo Nat Monument), Zion (hotels close by), Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Canyon Lands, Moab, Arches.-- that puts you on I70 which is a lovely drive into CO where you can hit Estes Park on your way towards home
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pacific northwest

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Hawaii.

What the what???
    Andy, if the kids are still in tow, DC is great place to go. What it might lack in scenery it makes up for in history. After the monuments, the Smithsonian with the Air & Space Museum are outstanding. Virginia Beach and the Chesapeake aren't too far either for a more relaxing change of pace.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    North into Yellowstone. Inch your way still further north to the other iconic sites. Bozeman is a nice town.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Master debator.
    South Dakota has many tourist traps that I'd still recommend along I90, then there is lots of good driving in Wyoming, the Bighorns, Yellowstone, up through Glacier, etc. then you could go through Idaho into Washington. I'd probably start east and go west, and we have done quite a bit it a few years ago ourselves.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Ditto Wash. DC

Tons of stuff to do, many, many museums, Smithsonian, etc....

Has lot's of bike paths as well in case Dad wants a break.

Banned forever.....or not
    I plan to drive to Hawaii and back this fall.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Have phun by taking the scenic route.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    .............. Bozeman is a nice town.
    And make the best boots, bought a couple several pair last year for the Mrs and Me, several hundred US dollars this side of Canadian Dry. Absolute, not a vodka brand but true Grit and Greatness.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Darling of The Lounge
    Slab City, California: A Post-Apocalyptic Disneyland.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    It's truly a once in a lifetime trip.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    Do the Utah/AZ/CO blast. Monument Valley (Hotels Near by, can also hit Navajo Nat Monument), Zion (hotels close by), Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Canyon Lands, Moab, Arches.-- that puts you on I70 which is a lovely drive into CO where you can hit Estes Park on your way towards home
    I like that idea.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    North into Yellowstone. Inch your way still further north to the other iconic sites. Bozeman is a nice town.
    When I was really young my parents took us to Yellowstone, Tetons, Bandlands, etc. I've been thinking about doing a similar trip. It's a shame half the family doesn't like camping though, because you really don't get the full effect.

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Andy, if the kids are still in tow, DC is great place to go. What it might lack in scenery it makes up for in history. After the monuments, the Smithsonian with the Air & Space Museum are outstanding. Virginia Beach and the Chesapeake aren't too far either for a more relaxing change of pace.
    The northeast is on the list. I'd love to take the kids to NYC. The teenager went with her 8th grade class to DC last fall and the younger one will go as well if we're still here. But still, lots of stuff to do.

The older one came home making vague Nicholas Cage references after visiting the National Archives. She's got a very weird sense of humor.

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    And make the best boots,
    Schnee's or Kenetrek?

The jaded local in me says to stay far from Yellowstone and Glacier during the mid-summer months. Or at least plan on the crowds (start your day trips early and book your lodging NOW). Take advantage of the bus system in Glacier - there's really no practical alternative to their summer time parking debacle.

June is actually a really good time as the crowds aren't bad yet and you have a great chance of seeing bears and wolves in Yellowstone as they feed on winter-killed elk and bison. The wildflowers are starting to peak out then too.

Zion, Moab, etc. will be pretty hot but that's a gorgeous area. Look into day trips into the San Rafael Swell.

I feel for people who have to schedule their vacations around their kids' schooling. There's a very noticeable uptick in Bozeman's tourist population between July and September.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    The northeast is on the list. I'd love to take the kids to NYC. The teenager went with her 8th grade class to DC last fall and the younger one will go as well if we're still here. But still, lots of stuff to do.

The older one came home making vague Nicholas Cage references after visiting the National Archives. She's got a very weird sense of humor.
    Ah. Didn’t realize DC was already so close. Never been to NYC. After seeing a show and checking out the 9/11 memorial and the Statue of Liberty, I wouldn’t know what to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Ah. Didn’t realize DC was already so close. Never been to NYC. After seeing a show and checking out the 9/11 memorial and the Statue of Liberty, I wouldn’t know what to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Museum of Natural History, Bronx Zoo, USS Intrepid Museum. Eat at Wo Hop (downstairs) - 17 Mott St. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge. Train it out to Coney Island, have a hot dog at Nathans and walk the boardwalk. Metropolitan Museum of Art. Circle Line around Manhattan. Ellis Island. Top of The Rock or Freedom Tower observatory, or Empire State Building. Picnic on Governors Island.

Walk around. It's a great city to just walk and see things. Greenwich Village, Times Square, Central Park.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Museum of Natural History, Bronx Zoo, USS Intrepid Museum. Eat at Wo Hop (downstairs) - 17 Mott St. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge. Train it out to Coney Island, have a hot dog at Nathans and walk the boardwalk. Metropolitan Museum of Art. Circle Line around Manhattan. Ellis Island. Top of The Rock or Freedom Tower observatory, or Empire State Building. Picnic on Governors Island.

Walk around. It's a great city to just walk and see things. Greenwich Village, Times Square, Central Park.
    Skip the Brooklyn Bridge. It's really crazy. Every 5 feet has someone taking selfies or glamor portraits. Frustrated cylists will be ringing bells and yelling, Groups walking 5 abreast. I highly recommend the NYC water taxies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Plus View Post
    I highly recommend the NYC water taxies.
    … in the rest of the world, these are known as giant river rats. kudos to New Yolkers for training them not to eat occasional passengers...