Hijacking System Shock's Subaru thread
    What it is

Hijacking System Shock's Subaru thread

I need to buy a new car (and I hate buying cars). System Shock used a car-buying service which sounds interesting to me since I know what car I want and I live in an area with few local dealers but there are several dealers within a 100 mile radius.

I don't want to travel a 100 miles to sit and haggle with a dealer AND I don't like dealing with the local dealer who thinks he has a monopoly.

(The monopoly mentality: I was once told by a *brand name* local salesman that *brand name* warranty work could only be done at the dealership from which the car was purchased. So if I purchased the car from an another dealership of the same *brand name* then my warranty work would be denied at their dealership. *Brand name* is omitted since this was obvious BS to intimidate the locals.)

I live in Western NC. What sayeth the Lounge on buying services on the East Coast.

Festina Lente'
    I did AAA's No-Haggle thing... If your a member, they will find you a dealer who will give you No-Haggle pricing (Invoice). I am sure I could have done better, but I dont want to deal with negotiations...or haggling.

I ended up getting my Subaru $250 below invoice, and a decent trade in on my Mini Cooper. I came away from the deal very happy.
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

waterproof*
    It's not thread hijacking if you start a new thread, silly.

Also, I am approaching 25k poasts so I will soon have unlimited mod powers. Watch your back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees

Also, I am approaching 25k poasts so I will soon have unlimited mod powers. Watch your back.
    Yeah, I'd watch my back. Once Creaky hits 25K, he'll also be able to move things with just his mind. All jedi-like.

Call me a Fred
    I tried moving things with a mime once. It was like being trapped in an invisible box.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do you have a vehicle in mind? I'm not too far from Western NC, Southwest VA, and would recommend the dealer I used on my last vehicle purchase if it's the same brand.

What it is
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_guy
    Do you have a vehicle in mind? I'm not too far from Western NC, Southwest VA, and would recommend the dealer I used on my last vehicle purchase if it's the same brand.
    I am looking at a Honda Element.

flinty-eyed moderator

Actually you need to have joined by 2002 for that. 2003 and after you get a virtual pat on the back (or an intervention).
    ____
    Internet sales manager FTW- for Honda you can do it through their main website. Never, ever going back to doing it the old way. Trade-in is the only issue.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KenS
    Two thoughts- 2011 is the last year for Elements, its been discontinued. So not many in stock, but dealers probably willing to deal on them.

The Elements has been barely updated during its run, and is pretty damn reliable (its mostly Civic bits in the drivetrain)- you may want to look 1-5 years old used. I have a 2006 EX myself (only 50k!) I could be talked out of.

Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenS
    I bought a Jeep so that won't help you much. If you don't go with a buying service, do everything with the dealerships internet departments through email. That keeps you from having to deal with the vultures.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    Actually you need to have joined by 2002 for that. 2003 and after you get a virtual pat on the back (or an intervention).
    I want my original join date to show up. Fix it!

flinty-eyed moderator

Airline pricing model

Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    I want my original join date to show up. Fix it!
    /sure we can do that, its a $50 join date change fee.

What it is

I was trying to catch the attention of people who had been following System Shock's buying adventure. I figured some of them would have relevant advice.

Approaching 25K! Clearly I have been lax in my RBR duties.

What it is
    Two thoughts- 2011 is the last year for Elements, its been discontinued. So not many in stock, but dealers probably willing to deal on them.

The Elements has been barely updated during its run, and is pretty damn reliable (its mostly Civic bits in the drivetrain)- you may want to look 1-5 years old used. I have a 2006 EX myself (only 50k!) I could be talked out of.

One reason I was interested in the Element was the reliability. The other reason is the AWD. It will replace an AWD Minivan. Chrysler/Dodge stopped making AWD minivans and the Toyota Sienna seems to be putting its AWD mainly in the deluxe XLE version.

BLACKBEARD RIDING CLUB

flinty-eyed moderator
    How to put untold thousands of dollars into a civic powered box to make it handle ok on the track- see above.

/I like Elements, but that's just baffling.
    //up next modifying your 2 door sports car to carry 2 bikes and 3 wet labs from the park.
    ///there are some straight up crazy people in the Honda Element Owners website. Awesome crazy, yet crazy never the less.

Diphthong
    I use an auto broker. Last time around we were looking used and they found us exactly what we wanted and let us keep the vehicle over the weekend to make sure we liked it.

This time around we went with new. I called on Friday, told him what I wanted, they found it for me and at a price that was as much as a 1 year-old used. I pick it up today.

My auto broker rocks. No haggle, no dealerships, no hassle.
    I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of $hit, man.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Aw snap... I been 'jacked!!

Srsly Ken, if you read my thread, the way to go seems to be just to email all the internet managers of all the dealers within driving distance. Let them fight it out... they know if you emailed them asking for a price, you probably did same with several other dealers as well, so they'll give you their best price without too much funny business.

You can use a good buying service as a benchmark (under advice, I used Drive Your Dream/Zag.com), but they want their cut, and they tend to slip it in as part of the 'invoice price' so you don't see it.

DYD/Zag.com got me a price that was 425 under invoice for my Subaru (they said it was 650 under invoice, but that was including them adding $225 or so to the Consumer Reports invoice price, which I believe was the true one). That was still a good deal, but emailing a bunch of different dealerships' internet/fleet managers netted me a price of 1200 under invoice. Of course, it was the last week of the calendar year, i.e. the perfect time.

In fact, two dealerships out of the eight or so I emailed beat the buying service's price.

So, I'd say buying services will get you a good price, but not necessarily the best price, especially when you factor in the fee that many of them charge for their service (AAA's service might be fee-free, but I dunno as I didn't use them).
    Last edited by SystemShock; 01-31-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

BLACKBEARD RIDING CLUB
    up next modifying your 2 door sports car to carry 2 bikes and 3 wet labs from the park.
    Well for starters...

The bike part was easy, its the 3 wet labs that's gonna take a while.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Indeed- that's why you see so many Elements at dog parks.