Hitting On Teh Opposite Sex– Mens' Style vs Womens' Style - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dirty. Nerdy. Unemployed.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock
    That was indeed the problem I had with the psychology article... I felt it over-generalized to some extent.

That said though, it's a bit naive and/or overly PC to think that men and women are exactly the same in our psychology... there are differences based in gender. But all those differences do is indicate behavioral tendencies, not absolutes.
    all of statistics is generalizing, but there's a value in that.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojourneyman
    all of statistics is generalizing, but there's a value in that.
    I quite agree.

For example, your insurance premiums are calculated using generalizations from data collected on your age group and gender... and not too many ppl complain about that, because they understand that while individuals differ widely, your average 50 year-old female driver is probably a safer insurance bet than an 18 year-old male.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with generalizations, so long as one understands where they come from and their limitations.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Boobies!
    I think there is something to the idea that women have more power in deciding what happens after the moment of attraction; and that they are (when seriously looking) more practical than men in sizing up potential mates.

I had started to notice when looking at the personal "Woman Seeking Men" columns (I swear I was only reading out of sociological interest), that they became predictable, in that the first descriptor in a large number of ads would be "Professional" or other indications of high socio-economic status, and the "Men Seeking Woman" often the first descriptor would be about appearance (either fitness, weight, rack or other...) Sometime later I saw mention of a study that confirmed what I had noticed...

Woman have atavistic concerns with stability for raising children implying a high concern with security--'Would he be a good provider?'

And I think this then gets picked up and distorted socially since having and holding the alpha male partner implies bragging rights over other less fortunate woman.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    Does R. know you feel that way?
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

Bullsh*t. Roebuck's not rich.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

Genitive Declensioner
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonlime
    Bullsh*t. Roebuck's not rich.
    say's the guy with chiseled good looks....
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

Quote Originally Posted by svend
    say's the guy with chiseled good looks....
    Jerk.

Sigh. If they could only see the inner me.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    That was indeed the problem I had with the psychology article... I felt it over-generalized to some extent.

That said though, it's a bit naive and/or overly PC to think that men and women are exactly the same in our psychology... there are differences based in gender. But all those differences do is indicate behavioral tendencies, not absolutes.
    Never said they were the same......what I said was that no 2 women are the same and no two men either. Sure there are bell curves, but those curves are pretty spread out and overlap.

Typecasting leads to more misunderstandings than clarity, IMO

I bet if you took the next 5 women you met, while all may have some common tendencies, they would have more differences than similarities, if you really got to know them

IME

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    Typecasting leads to more misunderstandings than clarity, IMO
    If one is unaware of the limitations of generalities, certainly.

Sadly though, many ppl make the mistaken assumption that if you even bring up or mention a generality, you automatically buy into it 100%, and don't see it for what it is... a summation of tendencies.

Though tendencies can certainly be very much real, statistically speaking.

I bet if you took the next 5 women you met, while all may have some common tendencies, they would have more differences than similarities, if you really got to know them.
    What I think you're arguing for is for ppl to pay attention to the individual as well as the tendencies. I think that's sound advice, though I don't think anyone was arguing that we should see men and women only as generalities.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown
    I think there is something to the idea that women have more power in deciding what happens after the moment of attraction; and that they are (when seriously looking) more practical than men in sizing up potential mates.

I had started to notice when looking at the personal "Woman Seeking Men" columns (I swear I was only reading out of sociological interest), that they became predictable, in that the first descriptor in a large number of ads would be "Professional" or other indications of high socio-economic status, and the "Men Seeking Woman" often the first descriptor would be about appearance (either fitness, weight, rack or other...) Sometime later I saw mention of a study that confirmed what I had noticed...

Woman have atavistic concerns with stability for raising children implying a high concern with security--'Would he be a good provider?'

And I think this then gets picked up and distorted socially since having and holding the alpha male partner implies bragging rights over other less fortunate woman.
    I like your use of the word 'atavistic'. And it is interesting how often we, who fancy ourselves 'modern' people, tend to go back to our primitive roots in some things.

But rather than being just the sum of our biological programming, I think that being aware of our tendencies and primal leanings can help us be more individualistic than if we were unaware of them.

Aware women could go, "So what if he doesn't drive a BMW and is under 5'11"? He's nice, I like him."

Aware men could go, "Hmm... she doesn't look like my imaginary dream girl. But she's cute in a different way, and funny as hell. I like her."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12